1. #1

    FPS Drops in 0.9.1

    Getting an FPS drop in 0.9.1 that I'm not sure I saw in the previous build.

    Whilst I cannot be entirely certain without the possibility of game/build/patch regression to test in an earlier version.

    Firstly, my game settings;

    http://puu.sh/7N02M.png

    And hardware;

    Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe Motherboard
    Intel i7 3770k Ivybridge (stock clocks)
    16GB Patriot Intel Extreme Masters 1866mhz DDR3
    Nvidia GTX690 4GB
    Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD (OS - Windows 7 Professional X64, all updates applied, all drivers current that I know of)
    Seagate ST3000DM001 3TB HDD (Steam/Games only)

    And a couple of examples of when I get these drops;

    http://puu.sh/7N0JC.jpg
    http://puu.sh/7N0NT.jpg
    http://puu.sh/7N0QQ.jpg

    From my own testing in the 0.9.1 build, I can see that the game is only utilizing one of the two GPU's on my gfx card, and if forced to use both the game crawls along at 10-15FPS, this seems to be on par with Trials Evolution Gold Edition which simply would not play nicely with multi-gpu systems and had to be forced to run on a single GPU.

    This means that essentially what the game is running on for the purposes of recreating what I see is a slightly downclocked GTX680 2GB model.

    What you're seeing in the above screenshots is the fog/smoke effects causing up to a ~20FPS drop at the highest game settings, this probably happens everywhere that those effects are, but for the purposes of speedy testing I used the track Turbine Terror and the skill game from the same section.

    These drops can be cured by lowering the Environment Quality in-game to anything other than High, at which point the game stays at a rock solid 60FPS.

    Given my hardware specs I'm not sure this is intended behaviour by the game/gfx engine(s) and indeed I'm certainly not one to want to have to lower settings to get a game working.

    Edit;

    Upon further testing, the track Deep Freeze also suffers from the same issues as above, at max settings there are drops of up to ~20FPS, solving the problem is also the same, lowering Environment Quality gives a solid 60FPS.
    Share this post

  2. #2
    sebastianaalton's Avatar Trials Developer
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    2,456
    Good to hear that your FPS is rock solid 60 at 2560x1440 resolution. Your screenshots look nice and sharp

    The FPS drop in particle heavy scenes is caused by a bug in graphics settings code. The game actually uses "Ultra" quality particles (much more expensive than next gen console particles). "High" settings are designed to match next generation console settings (but of course allow higher resolution on high end PC GPUs, such as yours). We will include "Ultra" settings (for some effects) for PC in the future, when they have been properly optimized first.

    Unfortunately right now the settings screen doesn't allow you to change each setting separately, so you cannot just downgrade the particle quality, and keep all the other high quality effects. We plan to have more graphics settings in the future.

    We have discussed SLI problems with NVIDIA. A future driver will include a SLI profile for Trials Fusion, and this should fix SLI slowdown issues. We will keep you informed when we know more.
    Share this post

  3. #3
    Originally Posted by sebastianaalton Go to original post
    The FPS drop in particle heavy scenes is caused by a bug in graphics settings code. The game actually uses "Ultra" quality particles (much more expensive than next gen console particles). "High" settings are designed to match next generation console settings (but of course allow higher resolution on high end PC GPUs, such as yours). We will include "Ultra" settings (for some effects) for PC in the future, when they have been properly optimized first.
    All very well but for one thing, I don't recall this much slowdown in the previous version, and while I cannot attest to that being 100% correct for the early levels, Deep Freeze ran perfectly at 60FPS before the 0.9.1 update at the maximum settings allowed by the game on the system I run.

    Originally Posted by sebastianaalton Go to original post
    Unfortunately right now the settings screen doesn't allow you to change each setting separately, so you cannot just downgrade the particle quality, and keep all the other high quality effects. We plan to have more graphics settings in the future.
    It's good to know that you're offering a larger set of graphical options for those that need them within the game, and it appears from what you've said to be a legitimate bug caused by the developers ramping up the quality for PC gamers, and in my eyes this can only be a good thing, but as "First World Problem" as it sounds, there is no reason at all that someone with a graphics card that costs more than most people earn in a month should have to turn down settings to get a smooth experience.

    Originally Posted by sebastianaalton Go to original post
    We have discussed SLI problems with NVIDIA. A future driver will include a SLI profile for Trials Fusion, and this should fix SLI slowdown issues. We will keep you informed when we know more.
    There are no SLI slowdown issues because the game doesn't use SLI at all, it only uses one card/gpu on a multi card/gpu system, and because of the game/gfx engine this cannot be changed at all without a complete re-write. This was also a problem in Trials Evolution Gold Edition, in fact it was the only problem with the game on my system. I was one of the people that first realized this and was one of the first people to instruct others with multi-gpu systems on how they could make the game work properly before hardware manufacturers issued profiles that were official.

    The only way you will see any issue now with a multi-gpu setup in Trials Fusion, or in Trials Evolution Gold Edition, is to force multi-gpu rendering, in which case you get 10-15FPS at max regardless of in-game settings, this is, as stated before, a game/gfx engine issue and nothing to do with hardware/drivers.

    Also of note to anyone reading is that until the executable file that runs the game is classed as "Released" there will be no inclusion of any profile in any non-beta hardware drivers from any manufacturer.

    ==

    While those of you reading may think I am being hard on the devs here, I really am not trying to be, I absolutely loved TE:GE on the PC, much as I loved the original Trials and Evo on the 360, and from what I've played so far I will love this game as well, I'm just trying to make sure that everyone from top-end to bottom can get the same experience playing the game.

    Originally Posted by sebastianaalton Go to original post
    Your screenshots look nice and sharp
    Thanks, here's hoping that I can play the game at max settings again and show you more
    Share this post

  4. #4
    0.9.2 Update tested, still have the exact same slowdown issues in the same places on the same tracks, again, lowering the Environment Quality is solving it for now.

    I know this isn't exactly a priority fix so I'm not worrying, just keeping you updated on the situation.
    Share this post

  5. #5
    sebastianaalton's Avatar Trials Developer
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    2,456
    2560x1440 is a very high resolution (78% more pixels than 1080p). I suspect that the particle rendering is just generally heavy on that high resolution. If this is happening in many places, I recommend reducing the environment quality slider to medium (as you have already confirmed that this results in rock solid 60 fps). In a future patch the graphics settings menu will be improved, allowing you to specifically reduce the particle quality and keep all the other graphics settings at high.
    Share this post

  6. #6
    Originally Posted by sebastianaalton Go to original post
    2560x1440 is a very high resolution (78% more pixels than 1080p). I suspect that the particle rendering is just generally heavy on that high resolution. If this is happening in many places, I recommend reducing the environment quality slider to medium (as you have already confirmed that this results in rock solid 60 fps). In a future patch the graphics settings menu will be improved, allowing you to specifically reduce the particle quality and keep all the other graphics settings at high.
    Well you stated in an earlier response that it was a bug that made "Ultra" quality particles render instead of "High" on PC, if that bug has been fixed then it wasn't mentioned in the patch notes, so I don't know if I'm still seeing the same bug or if what you've done hasn't fixed the problem.

    As to the resolution affecting the particle systems adversely, it doesn't effect any tracks other than the specifically mentioned ones from my initial post, so whatever the particle systems are doing on those levels that differs from the other levels in the game is something that should probably be looked into.

    Again, I know it's not a priority issue, but a lot of people on PC play at resolutions above 1080p these days, much like a lot of people have systems with multiple-gpu configurations (be they SLI or CF) so anything the devs can do that will help out players such as myself in getting the best usage out of our systems, as well as the best performance from the game, can only be a good thing.
    Share this post

  7. #7
    ZeroNorthEast: You describe my exact problem. Only difference is that I run on a 650 Ti Boost and with only 1920x1080 Lowering environment or anti-aliasing removes much of the drop in fps, but I still get a minor drop (~5-15 fps) on different parts of the tracks.
    Share this post

  8. #8
    Johkr's Avatar Community Developer
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Ubisoft North America
    Posts
    1,497
    Just wanted to hop in this thread and see if you have experienced any improvement on this after patch 0.9.2 [Friday's Patch]? Please let us know if you're having any additional issues.
    Share this post

  9. #9
    Originally Posted by Johkr Go to original post
    Just wanted to hop in this thread and see if you have experienced any improvement on this after patch 0.9.2 [Friday's Patch]? Please let us know if you're having any additional issues.
    No difference whatsoever, the performance in 0.9.1 and 0.9.2 is exactly the same on my setup.

    With Environment Quality set to high there are drops of up to 20FPS on the tracks Turbine Terror, Balancing Act and Deep Freeze, seemingly related to the particle effects on those tracks.

    No other tracks have performance issues that I have seen.
    Share this post

  10. #10
    Xhane's Avatar Player Experience Manager
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    428
    What do you experience after 0.9.4 ?
    Share this post