Kimundi's Avatar Senior Member

Heart of Nightmares - Gameplay talk #2: The Factions

This article is brought to you by Dev_SimonV (aka svilleneuve on the forums)

Academy

Our friends from the south are getting a few wizards and beastmen to bolster their ranks. The Crimson Wizards were created by Hakeem, and this expansion delves a bit deeper into their interactions.

You have wizards that boosts beastmen (adjacent or in play) and you have a beastman that gets bigger if he’s next to a wizard.

And I do mean bigger.

Now that’s a threat.

Haven

Humans are great builders and they can be proud of their work. In Haven, you’ll find a few creatures that like to be on a building.

It only makes sense that buildings in Haven have a defensive feel about them. One of the most popular strategies in terms of defense was based on retaliation, but the strategy never really gelled.

Until now.

Inferno

The Demons are all about pain, and finding ways to hurt you as much as possible in devious ways, no matter the cost.

Fighting the Demons never seems fair, nor right. You always come out feeling a bit dirtied inside, even if you won. One of their most interesting addition will make your opponent feel bad about wiping a board full Demons.

Necropolis

If there’s one creature theme that I was the most eager to tackle in this series, it’s probably this one: Vampires! They all have Life Drain, which is a given, but they now have a cool tribal ability.

We wanted to mimic how Vampires usually like to prey on the weak, so we came up with the following ability: If they attack a creature with 1 or less ATK, they gain a bonus. Like this one here:

Sanctuary

Nagas are calm, they like to take their time and control the flow of a battle. They had their time under the spotlight as an aggressive team, now they’re taking a step in a different direction.

While it might be a new direction, it’s certainly familiar in a way. They have a knack for controlling the board, and sometimes how your opponent deploys. Now they get something new.

Stronghold

The Orcs are all about Might and brute force and this set puts that on the forefront. You’ll want to get your Might level higher than 6 and we’ll give you the tools to do it.

Instead of having a creature like the Blackskull Clan Warlord that scales with your Might level, we wanted a new creature that demanded a specific level to obtain new effects.

Kimundi's Avatar Senior Member
    Artworks HD

Loyal Rakshasa

Spoiler:  Show

Emperor's Wall

Sacrificial Pit

Death Lord

Tea Ceremony

Pao Warchief

Why are there 5T icons instead of HoN?

del170109032657's Avatar Community Manager
    Originally Posted by Ribica1315 Go to original post
    Why are there 5T icons instead of HoN?
    Older versions of the cards. There have been a few slight changes since these images were captured. For example, we've moved tribal classification up away from the body of the text.

The HoN symbol will be on the cards in the future. Sorry for the confusion.

wow art work is amazing

Wow, I can't wait to see how these affects the playstyle of the factions. Maybe they are going to be a lot more specialized than now. However, I feel the game is getting more complex than before..

Finally something to get excited about, I'd say all the cards previewed except maybe loyal rakasha are solidly playable, and even that one might just be strong enough to justify the cost.

One thing I have a problem with though is loyal rakasha just feels more powerful than the new anael, at least when fully powered up. Swift and evade are just far stronger abilities than charge and preemptive, and then all the synergy between beastmen and wizards is just icing on the cake. Hopefully haven gets some really strong angel/human interactions that could make anael better, or just buff anael a little bit.

I've always wanted to build a solid retaliation deck but immune to retaliation has always been on way too many creatures for it to ever work well. Now the hard part is deciding if you'd rather use morgan or alia for the retaliation deck. Now haven just needs a ranged creature that gives everything berserk like hellfire maniac does and my retaliation dreams will be fulfilled.

High might stronghold decks should also be pretty fun, just imagining a 10 might blackskull warlord in zardoc deck is pretty scary.

I actually think the loyal rakasha is one of the most playable fatties i´ve ever seen (and waaaaaay better than the incredibly bad anael...) - possible strength 5, swift AND sweep attack is just amazing (and not even taking into account which other buffs he can get from the wizards! ) this dude seems like hes really worth going to 6 might, good job balancing team!
    This card get´s especially boosted considering that acadamy is a faction that can easily play a deck with high magic AND might requirement due to their magic channel/magic ramp creatures.

I also love the death lord, he seems to me to be a perfectly playable but not overpowered card!

The inferno and haven card will be some nice niche cards, something i always aprove!

And the warchief is going to be a really badass card, i´m already looking forward to the 10 might stronghold decks

Great preview, get´s me even more excited for the patch!

Great artworks.

Looking forward to using the sacrificial pit (depending on other cards to be released)...

So I have a friend who just started doc, let's say he will want to play open. They said that cards taken out of the standard will only be purchasable through altar of wishes, but in order to unlock them u have to own 200 cards of each set I believe, since u cannot buy packs anymore, as a new player how will u unlock cards from previous expansions taken out in standard?

Page 1 of 7 123 ... Last ►►