So is it safe to assume Ubisoft has officially ditched the beaked hood look?

At first I thought the reason Edward didn't have one was because at the time it made sense. He was a sort of rogue assassin and the fact he didn't have the traditional beaked hood reflected that. But when we played the game every single assassin we met had the same regular hood and I thought maybe it was just the assassins solely in the west-indies that did this. Now the Unity trailer releases and it clearly shows the new protagonist doesn't have a beaked hood either. Of course we know nothing about what he fights for or what his role is in the order, but it's looking to be Ubisoft has just actually ditched the beaked hood but why? Someone that has become so iconic to just do away with doesn't make sense. I hope it's at least explained in the story and not just something they wanted to subtly remove like they did in black flag.

I don't mind so much, so long as they've got a hood which covers enough of their face.
    The best thing Ubisoft could do would be to allow more customisation so the player could choose beaked hood/normal hood/no hood.

Not happy about it. It's what made the Assassin hood more unique among many other hooded video game protags. Now the suits look more plain

Annoys me a little bit sure...is it the end of the world no. I was annoyed more by the fact that the hood was hardly used in AC4. Hopefully that is what I would like to see fixed in ACU. Not really the actual shape of it.

JustPlainQuirky's Avatar Senior Member
    Ubisoft better have an explanation for it.

Maybe it was only included in AC3 because it's located in 'Murica and it was fitting.

But srsly. I hate that the beak is gone.

xbeav3rx's Avatar Member
    i like the beak look its the look of the assassin..

They probably don't have beaks because the names aren't connected to eagles
    For now

BoBwUzHeRe1138's Avatar Senior Member
    They also seem to be abandoning the white and red robes.

AC1: Mostly white with red sash
    AC2: White and red sash plus a bit more red detailing on the outfit such as the interior of the hood
    ACB: White with red sash and a bit more red detailing. This would be the last time white/red would be the default...
    ACR: Switched to Grayish Blue with red sash but retained the traditional white robes with red sash as a dye option ("Masyaf White").
    AC3: White with blue detailing but still a red sash. Thankfully, white/red was still possible thanks to the Jamestown outfit (the undershirt was blue but you can barely see that during gameplay so it didn't bug me). This would be the last time white/red was truly an option in a main title. This would also be the last time beaked hoods would be a thing in the main games (even Achilles had a beaked hat)
    >>>ACL: White/red robes make a return in the handheld and HD remake as does the beaked hood. This is the last time, period, that either are a true option. Even the default hat she wears has a beak though since those devs saw how it was iconic.
    AC4: Outfit is white and blue with red sash like Connor's again. Beakless hood. The closest to having the traditional white/red color scheme is the Explorer outfit and that has so much brown and black leather on it that it barely looks much better (and you can only get it when Ubisoft decides to make a reward for completing a community challenge).
    ACU: Back to bluish robes like ACR, no beak. Now we don't know if "Assassin White" will make a comeback but perhaps it will. Sadly, it seems that ACL's devs have been the coolest when it comes to customization. There aren't as many dyes but the fact that you can choose to have a hood or hat is a really cool step in the right direction. Combine that with the dyes of the Ezio trilogy and expanded even further... the customization would be awesome.

Here's hoping Ubi has taken any of our wishes into consideration when building ACU (doubtful) and upped not only stealth mechanics but also increased customization: beaked hoods, beakless hoods, no hoods, hats, different outfits, alter the colors of the outfits, etc.

Calvarok's Avatar Senior Member
    Considering the amount of effort Ubisoft usually puts into their costumes, I don't think a small detail like that is insignificant. For Edward, it represents the fact that he isn't a true assassin. For Arno, it may represent that he's stuck between the Templars and Assassins. Not like Connor was, where he briefly flirted with joining forces, but truly split down the middle.

The lack of white in his robes also seems to indicate a blending of common templar styles and colors with assassin garb, not to mention seeming to be in keeping with the whole nobleman theme Arno's outfit has going.

Colors will probably be extremely customizable in Unity, though. dark blue serves as a great neutral point, a color we've seen both devout Templars and Assassin Grandmasters wear.

EDIT: For those worrying, I doubt Arno will have his hood down as often as Edward. He seems like a conflicted character, from what his outfit design implies, but he also seems like a person very much grounded in the secret society aspect of the AC universe. He doesn't have the bearing of an outsider appropriating a uniform, he looks like he belongs. And as such I expect the hood to only come down in very private and vulnerable moments, and for him to be focused on the job most of the time.

BoBwUzHeRe1138's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by Calvarok Go to original post
    Considering the amount of effort Ubisoft usually puts into their costumes, I don't think a small detail like that is insignificant. For Edward, it represents the fact that he isn't a true assassin. For Arno, it may represent that he's stuck between the Templars and Assassins. Not like Connor was, where he briefly flirted with joining forces, but truly split down the middle.

The lack of white in his robes also seems to indicate a blending of common templar styles and colors with assassin garb, not to mention seeming to be in keeping with the whole nobleman theme Arno's outfit has going.

Colors will probably be extremely customizable in Unity, though. dark blue serves as a great neutral point, a color we've seen both devout Templars and Assassin Grandmasters wear.

EDIT: For those worrying, I doubt Arno will have his hood down as often as Edward. He seems like a conflicted character, from what his outfit design implies, but he also seems like a person very much grounded in the secret society aspect of the AC universe. He doesn't have the bearing of an outsider appropriating a uniform, he looks like he belongs. And as such I expect the hood to only come down in very private and vulnerable moments, and for him to be focused on the job most of the time.
    Hopefully... I wouldn't be shocked if there are only 3 different color variations of the outfit and none of them being a classic Assassin look. They did that in AC4 and it may seem silly to be upset over colors but I'm an aesthetic player. In RPGs, I NEVER wear the armor with the best stats. I go for the outfits I like best -- if they happen to have good or poor stats, then that's just how it is. If I find myself being dominated, I might switch to a stronger outfit for the duration of the fight and then switch back.

It's just how I am. So hopefully there are numerous color and outfit customizations...

Page 1 of 6 123 ... Last ►►