TeriXeri's Avatar Senior Member

The state of Track Central

So I saw this post on the xbox part of the forum : http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php...ds-from-Dahaka and it describes the same problem Evo Gold seems to be having.

TC is a disgrace right now....seems just when you thought it couldn't get any worse it somehow manages to blow your already low expectations out of the water. In the early days, even the poorer tracks had some creativity, but now it seems people can't even be bothered with that.
    You have got to remember alot of the track makers have editor knowledge too but just don't know how to put it all together. But TC is a disgrace now. You see at least 2-5 decent tracks out of a feed of say 40...

This is appalling and it is becoming a shambles, the majority of the players though aren't with these forums and there is only so many that want to go the extra mile and put in more than 20 hours into a track.

I think a link on the game would help out alot of players or link some guides to the game to help other track builders have a better understanding of the editor. More like an example...
    yeah, i agree with this..i think 25-30 second tracks can still be 'great tracks'..i think once ive done all my video stuff, im going to concentrate on doing some of these tracks..you can still have them looking good with decor etc...and at the same time be nice easy/medium tracks that everyone can play and complete..
    I fully agree that shorter tracks can be great tracks, and I feel I took a lot of time on my latest (1 month between track release dates, minus 1.5 week vacation time) and I will see if I can put out some good shorter ones (not rushed, just tracks under a minute drive time, beginner-hard) in the future.

IImayneII's Avatar Senior Member

Re: The state of Track Central

Well if people keep giving tracks with the usual bad stuff (floating obstacles, not aligned driving line, no background whatsoever) 5 star ratings I understand why some people don't even bother learning the editor and putting alot of time in tracks. I think there is not much that will change before this issue is adressed. How do you solve it is the problem. You can inform them more, but I doubt that will really help.

I think I already said this before, but, there should be better feeds (and more). Like a feed where all the tracks can be viewed from people who have let's say half of the platinum medals. If you don't have platinum medals, your skills are probably not good enough to make descent tracks, so it would eliminate alot of bad tracks creators I think and maybe would push people more in going for platinum medals if they want their track to be featured in that feed.

I hope they do something like this, because I will be dissapointed if they leave it like this.

s0ad667's Avatar Senior Member

Yeah, i kinda got used to crappy tracks getting a 4-star rating for no reason, but seeing them getting into the 5-star area too, that's even more sad.

RetiredRonin's Avatar Senior Community Manager

Originally Posted by basslineux001
    I think I already said this before, but, there should be better feeds (and more). Like a feed where all the tracks can be viewed from people who have let's say half of the platinum medals. If you don't have platinum medals, your skills are probably not good enough to make descent tracks, so it would eliminate alot of bad tracks creators I think and maybe would push people more in going for platinum medals if they want their track to be featured in that feed.
    Getting good times on tracks and being able to create good tracks and not mutually inclusive. Instead you would have people who, while good at racing, can't build that well being put into a feed just because of medal count instead of creative talent. This solution wouldn't fix the perceived issue.

What would be awesome is if every person who played Trials used the same rating conventions and rated each and every single track or skill game they played. it would be great if friend's tracks didn't get 5 stars just because, and if Ninja tracks with little to no detail weren't just rated 5 stars because "Hey, I passed it!". As long as people use completely different rating systems and allow personal bias to flavor their ratings then there will be issues with Track Central.

Originally Posted by ShiftySamurai
    Getting good times on tracks and being able to create good tracks and not mutually inclusive. Instead you would have people who, while good at racing, can't build that well being put into a feed just because of medal count instead of creative talent. This solution wouldn't fix the perceived issue.

What would be awesome is if every person who played Trials used the same rating conventions and rated each and every single track or skill game they played. it would be great if friend's tracks didn't get 5 stars just because, and if Ninja tracks with little to no detail weren't just rated 5 stars because "Hey, I passed it!". As long as people use completely different rating systems and allow personal bias to flavor their ratings then there will be issues with Track Central.
    True. There is probably only one thing that helps living this problem. Being able to subsribe to track creators. I know it has been said alot on the forum already, but it would be awesome if this would be an option in Fusion.

I used to complain about the state of TC on 360 Evo... that was before I got Gold...

It's impossible to get 100% great true-rated tracks in the feeds, as there's no penalty to uploading tracks, and like shifty says, different opinions are on a very wide spectrum on ratings and skill levels. As long as there's only 1 rating bar, you cannot see if it's the theme or driveline or fun factor etc that's really good/bad, so it tends to go biased to 4-5 stars very often and the crowd follows once it's rated high early.
    ( I already suggested some form of multi-ratings in the fusion wishlist thread )

Everyone has their own perspective of fun and you can even see this on those forums with some people prefering ninja/donkey/themed/skillgames etc. \
    ( I don't play ninjas much as that's not my thing for example )

Yesterday I played like a track with a really fun technical driveline but not much theme, I'd like to see builders like that just put a little more effort in the background/lighting/sounds etc and it could make awesome tracks, instead of releasing 2-3 versions in a week, it could be like 1 short track a week with a little more theme.

In the end we just gotta deal with it even while it's sometimes sad to see a track get pushed down the feeds by creators releasing 2-4 tracks in the same week. But there's always the RL pick forum thread to list really quality tracks.

The only reason Track Central is like this on Gold and the XBLA games is because people can't be bothered to pay attention to detail. I don't think this problem can be fixed but you could have staff to do quality check's on random tracks... And the ones with poor detail and lack of scenery get deleted.

Or you could make a filter system so the tracks that are extremely bad don't get published...

Those are two ideas which i thought could be usefull.

Originally Posted by TeriXeri
    But there's always the RL pick forum thread to list really quality tracks.
    Well I agree this is one of the few solutions to get good tracks the attention they deserve, but they have totally abandoned this feature in my opinion. They don't do it consistently (maybe 2 picks in one month if we get lucky), and because of that, there are alot of good tracks going under the radar. I don't get it to be honest, it doesn't take that long to find picks since most tracks on TC are just bad, and most of the worthy tracks are from builders who are active on the forum. A pick does alot on the download rate on a track, and I think there are enough builders who deserve picks already for their time and effort they put in their tracks trying to keep the gold edition alive.

But this is just my opinion, clearly RL has other priorities. And if you guy's can't even keep up with the picks now, how are you guys going to do this with fusion when it's on 3 different platforms?

There were no picks 2 weeks ago, and community picks last week, so I hope to see something for PC this week at least and then hopefully something more even if its 1 track per week.

I know people shouldn't build exclusively for picks, but for fun, but right now TC's slow speed isn't really fun at all.

I would list more tracks in the thread if I could browse tracks at a decent pace but right now it's hardly working to find even 1 track due to TC issues