Re: morfyboys EVO track thread.(need help.skill game)

Originally Posted by dasraiser
    yeah its a tough'en, i've got an outline ready for PM, it uses OPE and no physics, also includes all the detection for targets and ground.

edit: this is just a single bomb, but could be copied for many bombs, if the outline works on one that is
    how would you do it?

i would probably use 3 dummy's and a camera

1of them glued to the plane some distance before it
    1 dummy ope'd to that dummy's location (this will be the camera's target)
    camera will be oped to the bomb
    1 dummy ope'd under that dummy to detect the ground

now when you "release the bomb" you "freeze" the ground ope
    you will let the target ope slowly go downwards only moving on y axis
    now just take the camera's angles for the bomb and lt it slowly move forward

how do you detect targets though without physics? unless you want to put some dummy targets for every target you want to have detection for

Morfyboy's Avatar Senior Member

targets..i was going to use custom collisions, and the hit triggers..also, attach the C.C. to a VDS and set value..VDS is 1or 2 if it needs bombing twice..when it gets down to 0, i will make the building dissappear, and put one in that i will make up destroyed etc...

dasraizer's Avatar Senior Member

Originally Posted by sparkierjonesz
    Originally Posted by dasraiser
    yeah its a tough'en, i've got an outline ready for PM, it uses OPE and no physics, also includes all the detection for targets and ground.

edit: this is just a single bomb, but could be copied for many bombs, if the outline works on one that is
    how would you do it?

i would probably use 3 dummy's and a camera

1of them glued to the plane some distance before it
    1 dummy ope'd to that dummy's location (this will be the camera's target)
    camera will be oped to the bomb
    1 dummy ope'd under that dummy to detect the ground

now when you "release the bomb" you "freeze" the ground ope
    you will let the target ope slowly go downwards only moving on y axis
    now just take the camera's angles for the bomb and lt it slowly move forward

how do you detect targets though without physics? unless you want to put some dummy targets for every target you want to have detection for
    wow snap, ground test was a glue pivot 1 meter under bomb (separate OPE) and when its forced underground with OPE, because it can't go under it will compress to less than a meter to bomb so counts as hit ground, targets would be a simple distance check bomb to target less than some distance.

wow..you guys are like machines the way you work all this out...

Originally Posted by Morfyboy
    targets..i was going to use custom collisions, and the hit triggers..
    That won't work mate, hit triggers need the physics bubble. That's why we've hijacked your thread to discuss the problem

@Sparky & Das
    Would you need so many dummy's? If you had a system where the bomb and 1 dummy were OPE'd downwards with the dummy just below the bomb, and have an operator measure the distance between them. When the distance shortens, the bomb goes off.

The only problem I can see with this method is if you dropped a bomb over water as it wouldn't trigger a splash, but I guess you could just set it in the OoP terrain and avoid that problem.

I did a tutorial for simulating trigger activation without the physics bubble that would work for hit detection on targets.

im so glad you said that you guys are discussing this as i got even more confused..thnx fellas..its so interesting to see how you go about testing though...

Originally Posted by JaminBen007
    @Sparky & Das
    Would you need so many dummy's? If you had a system where the bomb and 1 dummy were OPE'd downwards with the dummy just below the bomb, and have an operator measure the distance between them. When the distance shortens, the bomb goes off.

The only problem I can see with this method is if you dropped a bomb over water as it wouldn't trigger a splash, but I guess you could just set it in the OoP terrain and avoid that problem.
    only one dummy object is used here, hung under the bomb (sep OPE) see above , also water isn't a problem as it has some depth before it hits the terrain further down the fathoms.

Originally Posted by JaminBen007
    targets..i was going to use custom collisions, and the hit triggers..
    That won't work mate, hit triggers need the physics bubble. That's why we've hijacked your thread to discuss the problem

you technicly could use physics because you don't need it for the plane anyway(unless you don't want the plane to fly through things and make contact with the grond

@Sparky & Das

i use 1for detecting ground, one infront of the plane to know where i want the bomb to go in a world without gravity and another to make the bomb slowly fall

isn't all baseworld water at the same height? if so you can make a splash if bomb goes below water

I did a tutorial for simulating trigger activation without the physics bubble that would work for hit detection on targets.
    i know but i was thinking it would be kinda crazy to do if you want all object in the baseworld hitable

wow..you guys are like machines the way you work all this out...
    well we probably already had all this info in our head already we just used it in a knew way

like my bomb method was only made up when jamin said there wasn't a way to detect the ground besides hit trigger, and i remembered a way i could

i was faced with this problem a few months ago for an animation in my track and did it the hard way lots of trial and error and some cds

yeah, i want the physics on the plane really as this would be best..i was going to place maybe a dozen little settlements around the rod map, each having a target to take out..if i can have more, i will..my plane is only small, slightly smaller than JBens.so it could carry 3 bombs at a time, then i was going to have a refill point in the sky..all i will do is have a cut scene of the jet filling up fuel from an in game plane with the refuelling system the airforce do in the sky...except, you get another 3 bombs back..i think this will look good in game...

yeah, i want the physics on the plane really as this would be best..i was going to place maybe a dozen little settlements around the rod map, each having a target to take out..if i can have more, i will..my plane is only small, slightly smaller than JBens.so it could carry 3 bombs at a time, then i was going to have a refill point in the sky..all i will do is have a cut scene of the jet filling up fuel from an in game plane with the refuelling system the airforce do in the sky...except, you get another 3 bombs back..i think this will look good in game...
    sounds

i think if physics out of the question, go with the distance checks, by far the easiest way to cheat.