Re: morfyboys EVO track thread.(need help.skill game)

Originally Posted by Morfyboy
    my next task is bombs and rockets...this will be fun..
    oops should have been max instead of min

dasraizer's Avatar Senior Member

Originally Posted by JaminBen007
    Rockets will be easy, bombs are hard. There's a good reason for this but I'll leave that for you to figure out unless you want to know it now.

If you figure it out how to have bombs you'll have to let me know.
    i got an idea for doing a bomb, if you want i can PM you.

No it's ok my skill game is already done, but write it here for Morphy anyway I'm sure he will find it useful. Thanks anyway though.

Morfyboy's Avatar Senior Member

yeah sure..just give me an hour to try myself....

i was working with the emitter yesterday and the missiles..they worked ok but not great..then i tried the directional force..again, ok but not great... theres a tutorial on youtube by Toth69.. hes like you guys..knows his stuff..hes the one that i got the option menu from thats in derby day..

PM me at around 7:30 dezzie if you dont mind...im gunna give it a shot..i think i would be able to do it, but probably not in this time, and/or as eefective as yourself in terms of code....

Originally Posted by sparkierjonesz
    my next task is bombs and rockets...this will be fun..
    oops should have been max instead of min

thatll be it...i knew youd know.. did you think WTF.

JBen..is it to do with the physics ???

theres a tutorial on youtube by Toth69.. hes like you guys..knows his stuff..hes the one that i got the option menu from thats in derby day..
    He is good, but that tutorial is his worst one, there are so many unnecessary triggers in it it's crazy. The interval triggers in that tutorial are pointless and the whole thing is so overcomplicated IMO.

Sort of, it's to do with the physics bubble. You already have the bubble following your Jet so you know if it hits something.

With missiles this isn't a problem as you can trigger them to explode after a set distance or if they come within range of a target. Bombs however need to explode when they hit the ground, but I couldn't find a way to do that without moving the physics bubble so the game knew the bomb had hit. You can't just use a distance operator as the only thing that recognises the contours of the ground is the hit trigger, at least to my knowledge.

This is of course assuming you are using an OPE for your bombs and missiles, which I think is the only sensible way as the physics bubble is far too small even on its largest setting to have a sensible bomb and missile range.

Originally Posted by JaminBen007
    theres a tutorial on youtube by Toth69.. hes like you guys..knows his stuff..hes the one that i got the option menu from thats in derby day..
    He is good, but that tutorial is his worst one, there are so many unnecessary triggers in it it's crazy. The interval triggers in that tutorial are pointless and the whole thing is so overcomplicated IMO.

Sort of, it's to do with the physics bubble. You already have the bubble following your Jet so you know if it hits something.

With missiles this isn't a problem as you can trigger them to explode after a set distance or if they come within range of a target. Bombs however need to explode when they hit the ground, but I couldn't find a way to do that without moving the physics bubble so the game knew the bomb had hit. You can't just use a distance operator as the only thing that recognises the contours of the ground is the hit trigger, at least to my knowledge.

This is of course assuming you are using an OPE for your bombs and missiles, which I think is the only sensible way as the physics bubble is far too small even on its largest setting to have a sensible bomb and missile range.
    as far as i know glue joints also detect the ground, they can't go below the surface so you just need to have some code that forces the joint to go down

i did actually end up loosing some tiles from that logic set up..there was no need for a few of them as they didnt have a motive and need to be there..

Bombs..hmmmm..i though these might be a problem...does it not help to fix a dummy object, or custom collision in any way..?? im just fiddling around with stuff now...
    doing it with OPEz is a must for bombs for sure...and the same with rockets..i was gunna use rockets from a set distance, kina as if it was locking on..so you have to be within a certain perameter of a building, for example, for them to hit it directly..

wow..this is tough..ive got it in my head, but how do i tell my xbox how im thinkin...

dasraizer's Avatar Senior Member

yeah its a tough'en, i've got an outline ready for PM, it uses OPE and no physics, also includes all the detection for targets and ground.

edit: this is just a single bomb, but could be copied for many bombs, if the outline works on one that is