1. #1
    playlisting's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    785

    PC versus PS4 graphics

    I know the PC has the better graphics but how much better? I am planning to buy a PS4 and with it, AC IV. How much of a downgrade is it going from PC to PS4? I don't think it will be much but I'm not sure because I haven't played it and YouTube doesn't show the true quality. It would be good if someone could provide a list of the graphics settings used on the PS4 too.

    My settings:

    • resolution: 1920x1080
    • environment quality: high
    • texture quality: high
    • anti-aliasing: MSAA 2x
    • shadow quality: high
    • reflection quality: high
    • motion blur: off
    • ambient occlusion: off
    • god rays: low
    • volumetric fog: off
    • V-Sync: off
    • PhysX particles: off
    Share this post

  2. #2
    rcole_sooner's Avatar Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Norman, OK
    Posts
    13,796
    That would depend on the PC.

    With enough $$ there could be huge difference. It could be a monster PC with 2560x1440 or higher res on multiple monitors.

    Between the PS4 and my i5 with geforce 770 on my 1920x1080 big screen, there is probably not much difference.
    Share this post

  3. #3
    YazX_'s Avatar AC Volunteer MOD
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    5,215

    646qa3

    PS4 is 4 years old mid-range PC, so do the math, a mid-range PC now would completely destroy any console, and its not only about resolution, consoles dont have control over graphics options, usually AA and other stuff are downgraded to give the required performance, while on PC you can change settings per your preference to get the best experience. other than this, some games are rendered at 720p then up-scaled to 1080p, this will make the game blurry and increase the jagged edges, while on PC if ITS A GOOD PORT, it will naively rendered on the resolution you set.

    and speaking of resolution, there is some misconception about it, while playing on higher resolutions makes the game sharper and more detailed but all objects get smaller, so its a relation between screen size, resolution and distance from screen.

    And ofcourse, exclusive Nvidia features will not be available on consoles.
    Share this post

  4. #4
    playlisting's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    785
    Originally Posted by rcole_sooner Go to original post
    That would depend on the PC.

    With enough $$ there could be huge difference. It could be a monster PC with 2560x1440 or higher res on multiple monitors.

    Between the PS4 and my i5 with geforce 770 on my 1920x1080 big screen, there is probably not much difference.
    I'm using an i5 3570k and a GTX 670 so hopefully the difference is minimal for me too.
    Share this post

  5. #5
    playlisting's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    785
    Originally Posted by YAZ_H Go to original post
    PS4 is 4 years old mid-range PC, so do the math, a mid-range PC now would completely destroy any console, and its not only about resolution, consoles dont have control over graphics options, usually AA and other stuff are downgraded to give the required performance, while on PC you can change settings per your preference to get the best experience. other than this, some games are rendered at 720p then up-scaled to 1080p, this will make the game blurry and increase the jagged edges, while on PC if ITS A GOOD PORT, it will naively rendered on the resolution you set.

    and speaking of resolution, there is some misconception about it, while playing on higher resolutions makes the game sharper and more detailed but all objects get smaller, so its a relation between screen size, resolution and distance from screen.

    And ofcourse, exclusive Nvidia features will not be available on consoles.
    Yeah, but in this case I'm talking exclusively about AC IV. How much difference will there be going from my settings to the ones on the PS4? It is rendering it at native 1080p I know that much. I don't know the settings but from the comparisons I've seen of PC vs PS4 on AC IV they don't look massively different. I don't think I wrote this thread very well. The question is: How would my experience change going from my current settings to the ones on PS4?
    Share this post

  6. #6
    Layer_13's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    5,676
    That depends on how much FPS you're getting. The settings you're running on is about what the PS4 can handle at a fixed 30 fps, except it has ambient collision set around low. If you're receiving about 40-50 fps already, which I think is what you're getting judging from your card, you would be getting a better experience from your PC.

    I connect my PC to my TV when I game so the differences for me when I make comparisons are very apparent. But if you want my bias opinion, I would say to stick with the PC anyway since it's more convenient, requires less cooling, and pulls off a better performance.
    Share this post

  7. #7
    playlisting's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    785
    Originally Posted by Fatal-Feit Go to original post
    That depends on how much FPS you're getting. The settings you're running on is about what the PS4 can handle at a fixed 30 fps, except it has ambient collision set around low. If you're receiving about 40-50 fps already, which I think is what you're getting judging from your card, you would be getting a better experience from your PC.

    I connect my PC to my TV when I game so the differences for me when I make comparisons are very apparent. But if you want my bias opinion, I would say to stick with the PC anyway since it's more convenient, requires less cooling, and pulls off a better performance.
    Okay. Thanks for the information (:
    Share this post

  8. #8
    AherasSTRG's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,962

    Need to think about the framerate as well

    If you change the volumetric fog from off to on, then you get the PS4's image quality.

    However, the most important factor you need to take into account is the frame rate. With your setup and settings, you probably get 60 FPS 85% of the time. However, the PS4 can only render the game at 30 FPS, which in my opinion is garbage in a game like AC4. I 'd advise you to start the game without D3DOverrider (are you using it?) on and try to play... I really do not know how a PS4 gamer can stand such a low framerate... How can those guys be satisfied with that?
    Or, you can look at it from a different perspective: Try bumping up your graphical settings until you get constant 30 FPS. I did that and I managed to have a steady 30 FPS framerate with my GTX 760 / Intel i5 3570 with the following settings:

    Environment Quality: Very High
    Shadow Quality: Soft Shadows (medium)
    Texture Quality: HBAO+ High
    God Rays: High
    Volumetric Fog: On
    Motion Blurring: On
    Ambient Occlussion: High
    Anti-Aliasing: MSAAx2
    Reflection Quality: High
    PhysX: Off

    which is undoubtly much better than the PS4 version. Therefore, no matter how you look at it, the PC version of the game always plays better than the PS4 equivelant in a solid mid-end system. The only problem we, PC gamers, have to deal with when playing AC4 is the frame instability caused by (imo) low standards of production. No matter your graphical setting, you will see that 99,99% of the time the frame rate never drops below 30. It is pretty clear that this game was created to run at said framerate and no effort has been put into making it run in higher framerates. The areas in which there are the biggest framerate problems are the "grassy" areas. With my GTX 760, there could be dozens of explosions on screen and fraps' meter would not bat an eye, but when there was a single tree on the screen, the GPU would start working like mad.

    Anyway, one other thing I 'd like to point out is the fact that... YOU CANNOT PATCH A GAME TO WORK AT A NATIVE RESOLUTION HIGHER THAN THE ONE IT ALREADY HAS. It would simply require a reconfiguration from the ground up to do that. The PS4's AC version is most probably upscaled from 900p to 1080p and not native full HD.
    Share this post

  9. #9
    playlisting's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    785
    Originally Posted by Aheradrim Go to original post
    If you change the volumetric fog from off to on, then you get the PS4's image quality.

    However, the most important factor you need to take into account is the frame rate. With your setup and settings, you probably get 60 FPS 85% of the time. However, the PS4 can only render the game at 30 FPS, which in my opinion is garbage in a game like AC4. I 'd advise you to start the game without D3DOverrider (are you using it?) on and try to play... I really do not know how a PS4 gamer can stand such a low framerate... How can those guys be satisfied with that?
    Or, you can look at it from a different perspective: Try bumping up your graphical settings until you get constant 30 FPS. I did that and I managed to have a steady 30 FPS framerate with my GTX 760 / Intel i5 3570 with the following settings:

    Environment Quality: Very High
    Shadow Quality: Soft Shadows (medium)
    Texture Quality: HBAO+ High
    God Rays: High
    Volumetric Fog: On
    Motion Blurring: On
    Ambient Occlussion: High
    Anti-Aliasing: MSAAx2
    Reflection Quality: High
    PhysX: Off

    which is undoubtly much better than the PS4 version. Therefore, no matter how you look at it, the PC version of the game always plays better than the PS4 equivelant in a solid mid-end system. The only problem we, PC gamers, have to deal with when playing AC4 is the frame instability caused by (imo) low standards of production. No matter your graphical setting, you will see that 99,99% of the time the frame rate never drops below 30. It is pretty clear that this game was created to run at said framerate and no effort has been put into making it run in higher framerates. The areas in which there are the biggest framerate problems are the "grassy" areas. With my GTX 760, there could be dozens of explosions on screen and fraps' meter would not bat an eye, but when there was a single tree on the screen, the GPU would start working like mad.

    Anyway, one other thing I 'd like to point out is the fact that... YOU CANNOT PATCH A GAME TO WORK AT A NATIVE RESOLUTION HIGHER THAN THE ONE IT ALREADY HAS. It would simply require a reconfiguration from the ground up to do that. The PS4's AC version is most probably upscaled from 900p to 1080p and not native full HD.
    Thanks for all the information. I will try and play at 30 FPS and see what it's like.

    Update: Just tried it. It was very, very choppy. Thanks for your help. I won't be picking this up on next gen (:

    Hopefully they can make AC V run at 60 FPS. 30 FPS really is just too sluggish.
    Share this post

  10. #10
    strigoi1958's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Norfolk UK
    Posts
    4,456
    As long as you're happy with what you get it is not important what FPS you're getting and which equipment you're using to play it. Just enjoy the game
    Share this post

Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last ►►