Landruner's Avatar Senior Member

Charismatic assassin‘s foes

CHARISMATIC ASSASSIN‘S FOES or (MP 's Assassins in SP's game-play)

I don’t play any AC/MP – I usually don’t play any MP for any game, but just stay focused on single players only.

However; I recognize that AC MP in general, has some cool features and character that I would like to see in SP game-play. And I always considered the MP character being more charismatic and menacing than the villains in the SP and story.

I also like the fact that player do not know who is who and has to pay attention to his/her surrounding in order to prevent an attack.

I already suggested this over some past post, but I believe it will some additional fun if while roaming in the cities – our assassin character get ambushed by some of those MP charismatic assassins you have in the past AC games (Since Brotherhood)

Note: An attempt of this game-play feature was somewhat introduced in ACB but was then dropped.

This is something I liked to be randomly attacked or ambushed by an assassin without knowing of the danger but trying to be ready, on my guards in order to prevent an attack.
    Being in a busy street could be useful or a death trap depending of my attention to my environment, and I think that the insecure feeling of danger was a nice addition to the franchise game-play in creating somewhat a suspenseful tension without ruining the fun factor of the game-play.

The way I see it, is that when the assassin is off mission and roaming and exploring different locations, each MP characters (from the corresponding game) appear and ambush the PC.

The ambush could be related to the notoriety level (Like for ACR) or simply random after some progression of the SP missions. (For instance after the assassin had killed on or two target and start being known as a dangerous threat for the rest of the Templar still alive)

Some of those MP assassins could be used as special Body guards on targets.
    or still some could be used as simply sub target to eliminate in order to reach your man target.

The way to successfully counter and kill the MP assassin character’s ambush could unlock that MP assassin character for the MP or unlock a special feature for that character for the MP. The same will apply for each MP assassin eliminated during the SP missions

Let me know what you think (?)

// This thread is intended for general opinion and ideas for AC game-play - so, try to stay in the line of this topic only – Trolls are welcome, but if you have to troll-make it funny (trouloulou)

LoyalACFan's Avatar Senior Member
    Most of the MP characters are usually so flamboyant you could see them from a mile off though. I mean, who's not going to notice the Puppeteer or the Harlequin in a crowd? It works in MP since there's an entire map full of nothing but MP character clones and having an easily distinguishable character makes the stalking mechanic viable, but obviously that wouldn't work for SP. I think they handled the MP characters properly in Brotherhood, Revelations, and AC4, just having separate missions (or mission strands) where you hunted them. Although they didn't have missions for some of them, and that bugged me. I DEFINITELY think they should tweak the stalker mechanic from Revelations and bring it back (one of the few new ideas from Revelations that were actually cool IMO) but the MP characters sort of feel like a bad fit to me. Not to mention that there's a finite number of them. It would be weird if they just kept infinitely reappeared to hunt you down again, and it would take away from the story portion of it.

As for unlocking stuff in MP, I totally disagree. If I achieve something in SP I want SP rewards for it, and if I achieve something in MP I want MP rewards. I was really annoyed when I recruited the full 500 slaves in Freedom Cry for the "secret reward" only to find out it was MP crap.

Originally Posted by LoyalACFan Go to original post
    Most of the MP characters are usually so flamboyant you could see them from a mile off though. I mean, who's not going to notice the Puppeteer or the Harlequin in a crowd? It works in MP since there's an entire map full of nothing but MP character clones and having an easily distinguishable character makes the stalking mechanic viable, but obviously that wouldn't work for SP. I think they handled the MP characters properly in Brotherhood, Revelations, and AC4, just having separate missions (or mission strands) where you hunted them. Although they didn't have missions for some of them, and that bugged me. I DEFINITELY think they should tweak the stalker mechanic from Revelations and bring it back (one of the few new ideas from Revelations that were actually cool IMO) but the MP characters sort of feel like a bad fit to me. Not to mention that there's a finite number of them. It would be weird if they just kept infinitely reappeared to hunt you down again, and it would take away from the story portion of it.

As for unlocking stuff in MP, I totally disagree. If I achieve something in SP I want SP rewards for it, and if I achieve something in MP I want MP rewards. I was really annoyed when I recruited the full 500 slaves in Freedom Cry for the "secret reward" only to find out it was MP crap.
    Good point, but if they appear randomly in jumping from a roof that you did not script or ambushing you from a hidden bush that would be different story, and the element of surprise will be there. The way I see it is that they are amount additional random event and don't res-pawn so once you took care of them, they are gone for good. I also mentioned that they could be body guards or sub target, which could be another exploitation as well.

I agree with the Stalker from ACR and I wish they bring it back with some improvement and that idea of using some of the MP characters in the SP was in this direction.(minus the fact that they had only two variant type and appear quiet often in ACR) - In this perspective and using the same ACR random events I could see the MP assassin as some kind of mini boss that could appear and ambush while your notoriety was at the max for a while - something like that. Or like i mentioned after a while and progression in your game, Templar call for a contract against you, and in this case they track you and ambush you by surprise.

Sometimes you have to consider some innovative new ideas of game-play that the one you already know - and the ones already exploited that they did not works and may sound "crap" like you mention above, only need to be improved, but not dropped by any mean.

I have no the pretension to aspire about things better than anyone else, but I just know that this kind of (FACTOR B) feature will add some more game-play and replay value to the game(s) - It could be for an AC or any other games that can fit this type of game-play.

I DEFINITELY think they should tweak the stalker mechanic from Revelations and bring it back (one of the few new ideas from Revelations that were actually cool IMO)
    Yeah, I don't think that feature was ever advertised, so when the first stalker attacked me I was like "OMG OMG OMG WHAT THE F COUNTER ATTACK COUNTER STAB KICK WHATEVER DO SOMETHING". The feeling was awesome And then you realize that there's a sound cue with it, so whenever you hear it it's like, "Oh ****, attention..."

Originally Posted by Farlander1991 Go to original post
    Yeah, I don't think that feature was ever advertised, so when the first stalker attacked me I was like "OMG OMG OMG WHAT THE F COUNTER ATTACK COUNTER STAB KICK WHATEVER DO SOMETHING". The feeling was awesome And then you realize that there's a sound cue with it, so whenever you hear it it's like, "Oh ****, attention..."
    Yep it was good and interesting - I wish they could bring something like this back (as a B factor for random events) and ameliorate it with some new game play elements and charismatic assassins (MP ones or else, but generic cloned NPCs like ACR) each time such event happens as to count as a memorable one since they could use also some different weapons for ambushing you.
    Imagine the plus it could bring without being a main game-play factor - it will be like the cherry on the top of a cake.

LoyalACFan's Avatar Senior Member
    Actually, your idea has given me another... What if the stalkers were actually other players like in Watch Dogs? Now, don't get me wrong, I'm hesitant about WD's social features after AC4's social event debacle, but the whole "hacking another player's game" feature sounds like it could be really cool if implemented right. What if AC had a similar feature where you could "hack" into somebody else's SP and attempt to assassinate them? Basically a purer version of what AC MP is about; convincing other players that you're just an ordinary AI.

Obviously you would have to be given the option to turn this feature off if you didn't want people butting into your game all the time though. If I'm just exploring peacefully, I don't necessarily want to have to be concerned with defending myself.

(If you haven't been following Watch Dogs and don't know what I'm talking about with the hacking thing, watch this video from 11:00 onward)

GunnerGalactico's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by Farlander1991 Go to original post
    I do hope Ubi bring stalkers back to future AC titles, I kind of enjoyed the eerie, uneasy feeling they brought to AC Revelations. Every time when I was doing a main mission or just walking around the streets, I had to keep watching my back. The first time I encountered a stalker.. I admit, it gave me quite the scare. In time, I eventually learned how to spot and counter kill them.

lothario-da-be's Avatar Senior Member
    I would love to see stalkers return especialy when they are human players, but not too often maybe 1 every 80 minutes or something like that.
    I too hope that the MP character missions return, they were fun and gave some background information too them.

Fatal-Feit's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by LoyalACFan Go to original post
    Actually, your idea has given me another... What if the stalkers were actually other players like in Watch Dogs? Now, don't get me wrong, I'm hesitant about WD's social features after AC4's social event debacle, but the whole "hacking another player's game" feature sounds like it could be really cool if implemented right. What if AC had a similar feature where you could "hack" into somebody else's SP and attempt to assassinate them? Basically a purer version of what AC MP is about; convincing other players that you're just an ordinary AI.

Obviously you would have to be given the option to turn this feature off if you didn't want people butting into your game all the time though. If I'm just exploring peacefully, I don't necessarily want to have to be concerned with defending myself.

(If you haven't been following Watch Dogs and don't know what I'm talking about with the hacking thing, watch this video from 11:00 onward)

Ehhhh... This actually sounds rad, but don't we want less online features for SP?

Originally Posted by GunnerGalatico Go to original post
    I do hope Ubi bring stalkers back to future AC titles, I kind of enjoyed the eerie, uneasy feeling they brought to AC Revelations. Every time when I was doing a main mission or just walking around the streets, I had to keep watching my back. The first time I encountered a stalker.. I admit, it gave me quite the scare. In time, I eventually learned how to spot and counter kill them.
    I precised above that the stalker with charismatic assassin foes feature be while the player is Off mission - Apparently I learned later after posting that Ubisoft dropped the idea for the future game because people did not like having them during missions... - true or not, it seems that once again Ubisoft dropped a nice idea of concept for the AC's franchise just because they did not implanted it correctly the first time and received poor feedback for it.

The concept needed just to be improved not dropped.