Rock.City's Avatar Member

Splinter Cell Blacklist connection issues/problems

Hello… thought I’d post a thread on some (not all), reasons why you may be having trouble/difficulty connecting (or updating) in Splinter Cell Blacklist. With Splinter Cell Blacklist, most players can connect without having to modify their PC/Laptop in any fashion. That said, there are some who will have issues/problems connecting; but 9 times out of 10, these connection issues/problems are on the End User and not Ubisoft. Listed below are some areas to look at if you can't connect (or having difficulty with connections) in Splinter Cell Blacklist Multiplayer or Coop. Note: Back-up any save files (as a precaution) before continuing... navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\Ubisoft Game Launcher or C:\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft Game Launcher and copy the savegames folder/directory to a safe location.

1. You may still be on an early Version of Splinter Cell Blacklist: Splinter Cell Blacklist may not have downloaded/updated/installed/launched correctly; meaning you may still be on V1.00, V1.01, or V1.02 and if this is the case, you will never be able to connect to anyone because this game is not upward/downward compatible (as far as I am aware of)... thus you will only be able to connect to others with the same version. Below are some causes for Splinter Cell Blacklist not downloading/updating/installing/launching correctly:
    • MS Windows User Credentials: If you are logged into MS Windows (especially MS Windows 7/8/8.1) using Standard User credentials (even with Administrative privileges), this can keep your PC/Laptop from downloading/updating/installing/launching correctly. Try logging in as Administrator and launch Splinter Cell Blacklist and allow the updates to occur. If MS Windows does not give you an option for logging in as Administrator, you may need to enable the built-in Administrator account... there are several ways to do this (you can Google it), but the easiest way is to open an elevated Command Prompt, then type net user administrator /active:yes and hit enter. Now you can log off as your Standard User and login as Administrator. Once you have completed the downloading/updating/installing, you can log off as Administrator and login as your usual Standard User to play the game. Note: I do not recommended leaving the built-in Administrator account enabled, or using this account for everyday purposes. The built-in Administrator account should only be used as needed.
    • MS Windows built-in Security Software protection: These Security Programs (e.g. Windows Firewall, Windows User Account Control, MS Windows Defender, MS Security Essentials, etc.) can affect how your PC/Laptop responds to downloading/updating/installing/launching specific files that derived from the Internet; these could be interfering and causing corruption in downloads/updates/installs. You should create Inbound/Outbound Traffic and Software Rules in all these MS Windows built-in Security Programs to allow (give permission to) these downloads/updates/installs/launches. If you can’t create Rules in these MS Windows built-in Security Programs, then simply disable them prior to launching Uplay/Splinter Cell Blacklist… you can re-enable them once the downloads/updates/installs occur successfully.
    • All other Security Software protection: These Security Programs (e.g. Antivirus Software, Antivirus Firewall Software, Stand-alone Firewall Software, Router Firewall Software, etc.) can affect how your PC/Laptop responds to downloading/updating/installing/launching specific files that derived from the Internet; these could be interfering and causing corruption in downloads/updates/installs. You should create Inbound/Outbound Traffic and Software Rules in all these other Security Programs to allow (give permission to) these downloads/updates/installs/launches. If you can’t create Rules in these other Security Programs, then simply disable them prior to launching Uplay/Splinter Cell Blacklist… you can re-enable them once the downloads/updates/installs occur successfully.
    • Internet Bandwidth Bottle-necking: Disable all programs/applications that could be bottle-necking your internet throughput; these could be interfering and causing corruption in downloads/updates/installs. (e.g. Chat programs, Torrent downloads, Media Streaming, etc.) Dedicate your entire internet bandwidth to Uplay/Splinter Cell Blacklist game/patch downloads.
    • Corrupt initial install: Your initial downloads/updates/installs are corrupt (bad) due to the aforementioned (all or a combination). Uplay will not overwrite the existing game install file/s in your cache\installers folder (even if they are corrupt)… so you end up with the same errors at the same location during the initial install. You will need to relocate/move (cut and paste) these temporary game file/s from their current location to your Desktop. Simply, navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\Ubisoft Game Launcher\cache\installers\ or C:\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft Game Launcher\cache\installers\ and look for a folder with files that identify this folder as Splinter Cell Blacklist install folder... (e.g. BlacklistAutoRun.exe, Blacklist_SMI.ico, etc.). The name in my cache\installers folder is 91. Note: You need to verify the folder on your PC/Laptop (it could be different) by entering the folder and looking to ensure that this is indeed the Splinter Cell Blacklist install folder. Once you have identified the folder, cut and paste this folder to your Desktop (for safe keeping - you can restore/delete later as needed). Now you are ready to uninstall Splinter Cell Blacklist and re-download and re-install from Uplay. If you receive an error while trying to download/install Splinter Cell Blacklist, this means that the download/install is corrupt and you will need to try again.

2. Your Uplay/Splinter Cell Blacklist Router ports are closed: Generally speaking, you don't need to open (port forward/NAT) router ports (as a requirement) to connect each other P2P (peer to peer) in Splinter Cell Blacklist. Port 80 is open by default in all routers and Splinter Cell Blacklist uses port 80 primarily for distributing resources to each individual node in this P2P. However, if you are having issues/problems connecting, it is suggested that you open your Uplay/Splinter Cell Blacklist router ports: by opening these ports you are creating a direct connection in your P2P that is dedicated for Uplay/Splinter Cell Blacklist Inbound/Outbound traffic. Below are a few tips on opening Uplay/Splinter Cell Blacklist ports in your router:
    • Find your router in one of these guides and follow instructions: PCWinTech or PortForward
    • Download and install Simple Port Tester or PFPortChecker (freeware/shareware) and verify if the Uplay/Splinter Cell Blacklist ports are indeed open. If you test all these ports and it reads Failed, then you have closed ports... if you test all these ports and it reads Successful, then you're ready to play Splinter Cell Blacklist Multiplayer or Coop on-line.
    • Be sure to use internal IP address (and not external IP address) when forwarding & testing. If you are uncertain what your internal IP address is, go to Windows/Start/Run/type cmd and hit enter... at the command prompt, type ipconfig /all and hit enter... look under Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 1 for IPv4 Address (preferred)... this is (typically) your Internal IP address.
    • Enabling your routers DMZ (Demilitarized Zone) can also work. By enabling your routers DMZ, you are opening/exposing all your ports in your internal network; meaning you don't need to port forward any particular ports in your router because they are all open/exposed. Note: I do not recommend enabling your routers DMZ, unless you are troubleshooting... doing so is a huge security risk.
    • Your ISP (internet service provider) could also have restrictions, so you might want to check with them as-well.

This is an example of what Port Forwarding should look like in your router:
    Port/Server Name External Port Start/Inbound External Port End/Outbound Protocol Internal Port Start/Inbound Internal Port End/Outbound Server IP/Internal IP
    Uplay80 80 80 TCP 80 80 192.168.1.2
    Uplay443 443 443 TCP 443 443 192.168.1.2
    Uplay13000 13000 13032 TCP 13000 13032 192.168.1.2
    Uplay14000 14000 14000 TCP 14000 14000 192.168.1.2
    Uplay 14008 14008 14008 TCP 14008 14008 192.168.1.2
    SCB3658 3658 3658 UDP 3658 3658 192.168.1.2
    SCB13000 13000 13032 UDP 13000 13032 192.168.1.2

3. Close Background Applications (*directly from Ubisoft Support site): You may also encounter problems due to applications running in the background on your computer system. When playing Ubisoft games, please be sure to close all running background applications before starting your game. You can find the steps for this listed below.
    • Open your start menu and look for Run (Win XP), Start search (Win Vista), or Search programs and files (Win 7)
    • Delete anything on the Open line that you'll find there, and type in the word MSCONFIG and press the Enter key to bring up the system configuration utility
    • Look down the list of startup items (not the tab labeled Startup), and choose Selective Startup (if it is not already selected) (If you don't see this, make sure you've clicked on General, near the top of the window)
    • Once you've chosen Selective Startup, uncheck 'Load Startup Items'
    • Once you're done here, click Apply & OK, and let it reboot your computer Try running the game again. If the game loads and seems to be working, the problem is most likely related to one or more programs you have scheduled to load with Windows. You can then revert the settings back the way they were, and in a trial and error fashion, disable some programs using the startup tab (in the msconfig utility) to try to find the culprit.

I hope this helps... If anyone has any questions or comments about connection issues, please feel free to post here and I will try to address them. Good luck.
     1 people found this helpful

SCCUser1978's Avatar Senior Member
    Hey Green-Hornet.
    Thank you for posting that very helpful guide.
    I'm sure that it'll help a lot of people with the connection problems.

Ubi-MoshiMoshi's Avatar Community Representative
    Thank you for taking the time to post all of this, this will be very helpful for others. (Especially for explaining DMZ )

I will sticky this.

That said, there are some who will have issues/problems connecting; but 9 times out of 10, these connection issues/problems are on the End User and not Ubisoft.
    I think this is just a difference in philosophy. It really shouldn't be this hard to get the game to connect properly. There are plenty of games out there that simply connect, no questions asked. There certainly are just as many that seem to have this same (or similar) issue, but its very frustrating to buy a game to play with your friends/family, and then have to struggle with petty issues like this.
     1 people found this helpful

Next splinter cell series

hi guys, do you know something about next splinter cell series?
    I hoped Blacklist would be good but...that was not good. or I wanted a better game.
    Ubisoft is doing everything as fast as possible, after 2 years there is some news about FarCry.
    I'm waiting for this game. but before that we must watch Splinter Cell movie.
    thanks and forgive me for grammatical mistakes.

Cant anyone stop these cheater?I cant play this game with so much cheater.I dont know what they cheat for but they must be ban.

SCCUser1978's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by cctvtcl Go to original post
    Cant anyone stop these cheater?I cant play this game with so much cheater.I dont know what they cheat for but they must be ban.

Sorry, this isn't the correct area to ask that type of question.

Ubi-MoshiMoshi's Avatar Community Representative
    Indeed, please report cheaters to Technical Support https://support.ubi.com

How to fix friend coop problem

Here is the way to solve the coop with friends not connecting.

When you can play online with anyone, but can't play with someone on your friends list ("can't connect", "try again later"), do the following:

Go to your network connections, disable every network adapter not in use.

For some reason, Uplay don't like when more than 1 network adapter is active. Tell your friends to do the same. I've tested last night and finally could play a coop mission with my brother.

Yeah, you can play any other online game, instead of Splintercell Blacklist, but no, it's not a Ubisoft problem. It's your fault, you just don't dig enough on the internet to solve your problem. That's absolutely not a Ubisoft fault.

I've Looked Everywhere, Someone Please Help

I don't know if I'm just an idiot and have some setting wrong of if there's something wrong with my Xbox or my copy of the game or what, but whenever I try to connect to Spies vs. Mercs, I get an error coming up on my screen that says "Could not download most recent multiplayer data. Please try again." But I try and try and try and the same error message comes up every single time. I've checked my router and my ports and all that crap, but all the other threads I've found don't specify that this is the error message they get. And I'm on the 360 mind you, not the PC. Can someone help? Has anyone else gotten this same error and been able to fix it somehow? I just want to play my friggin game.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... Last ►►