1. #1
    Black_Widow9's Avatar Community Representative
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    16,546

    Patch Notes 2/14/14

    Here is a list of fixes for our latest patch for the Xbox 360 which is now live.

    Features:

    • Bass arrangements now display whether they should be ‘Picked’ or ‘Fingered’
    • Sorting the song list by tuning now separates the different tunings into separate sections
    • Added help tips to the Calibration section of First Encounter
    • The guitar experience level questions at the start of the game now have influence over a song’s starting difficulty
    • Improved Riff Repeater menu navigation of the Phrase Banner
    • The in-game tuner is now more precise, and more responsive to guitars that have a low volume output


    Bug Fixes:

    • Fixed issue where song level and Mastery data were not being saved properly
    • Riff Repeater settings are now maintained more accurately between songs
    • Audio Preview issues in the Lessons have now been resolved
    • Fixed an issue where certain missions in the Guitarcade could not be satisfied accurately
    • Reduced the likelihood of Save Data corruption on the Xbox 360
    • Fixed Chord Book display; T for Thumb instead of 0
    • Fixed an issue where Score Attack would incorrectly award the “Perfect Phrase” bonus to phrases not played perfectly.
    Share this post

  2. #2
    Steel_Nirvana's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Waterloo, Belgium
    Posts
    4,496
    Thanks for the info!

    Working better for me, though note recognition seems to be tighter.
    Share this post

  3. #3

    Still freezing after update!!!

    Total bs!!

    A friend of mine and former rs devotee, lvlninety9, had 5 freezes in an hour today.
    And now i am having them as well.
    Share this post

  4. #4
    Kynlore's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    2,477
    Originally Posted by KilaRoach Go to original post
    Total bs!!

    A friend of mine and former rs devotee, lvlninety9, had 5 freezes in an hour today.
    And now i am having them as well.
    When it is freezing, are you still able to bring the Xbox guide up? I had an instance yesterday where I thought it was frozen, but was still able to bring the Guide up so it wasn't exactly frozen. I waited, and after some time it was back to normal. I'm guessing it was about a minute or so.
    Share this post

  5. #5
    Marauder359's Avatar Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,229
    So........... What was the delay?

    Most of us Xbox users were okay getting this patch later than everyone else because we thought Ubisoft was working to resolve the Xbox freezing issues. Clearly not, as that wasn't even addressed in your notes. And in the other thread where you linked to this, you pointed out that it's pretty much the same as the PS3 release... So, why did we have to wait for this? Just so we'd think you folks were actually busy addressing our issues, while you weren't?

    Thanks ever so much... for basically nothing... except trying to fool us into thinking anyone there gave a damn.
    Share this post

  6. #6
    Steel_Nirvana's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Waterloo, Belgium
    Posts
    4,496
    The delay was announced: it was the time it took for MS to QC the patch.
    Share this post

  7. #7

    Tuner more sensitive, but also less accurate

    I used to have a lot of problems with tuning the high e string before the patch -- had to pluck it multiple times in a row to get the game to recognize it.

    Now, everything tunes much more quickly, but it seems like the tuning is a lot less accurate. In game, I'm finding that it keeps telling me I need to move up or down a fret from the "correct" fret, usually on the low E string and A string. I'm having to adjust the tuning on-the-fly mid-song now just to get it to have the right tuning for actual play.

    As a developer, my guess as to what's happened here is that the tuning screen now uses a pre-gain filter on the signal to pick-up low volume guitars, but that's causing it to recognize a guitar that's out of tune but close to being in-tune as tuned when it isn't. Perhaps we should be able to set how many seconds that the plucked string has to be in harmony with the tuning before progressing? In other words, a preference on how long it takes the little circle to go all the way around before proceeding to the next string.

    I notice that when the tuning is off, the second part of the tuner screen (the part after the precision tuner) seems to pause for a few seconds after a string is plucked before moving on. If the tuning is correct, it will move on quickly. Maybe a setting here on how picky the final tuning check should be?

    Either way, it's really frustrating right now when the guitar passes tuning but is out-of-tune during play. I'm going to try tuning with the volume knob down a bit on the guitar and see if that helps.
    Share this post

  8. #8
    Steel_Nirvana's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Waterloo, Belgium
    Posts
    4,496
    Originally Posted by GuyPaddock Go to original post
    Now, everything tunes much more quickly, but it seems like the tuning is a lot less accurate. In game, I'm finding that it keeps telling me I need to move up or down a fret from the "correct" fret, usually on the low E string and A string. I'm having to adjust the tuning on-the-fly mid-song now just to get it to have the right tuning for actual play..
    If you're a beginning player, this is almost certainly your technique. Odds are good you're fretting those strings too hard, pulling the note sharp. The new note detection seems stricter, so it's probably flagging it more now. Does the problem get worse on dropped-tuned songs, and on the lower-numbered frets? Try fretting the strings only hard enough for the note to register, and make sure you press straight down on the string (I use the flat part of my finger rather than the very tip, to avoid the tendency to bend it slightly). See if that helps.
    Share this post

  9. #9
    Originally Posted by Steel_Nirvana Go to original post
    If you're a beginning player, this is almost certainly your technique. Odds are good you're fretting those strings too hard, pulling the note sharp. The new note detection seems stricter, so it's probably flagging it more now. Does the problem get worse on dropped-tuned songs, and on the lower-numbered frets? Try fretting the strings only hard enough for the note to register, and make sure you press straight down on the string (I use the flat part of my finger rather than the very tip, to avoid the tendency to bend it slightly). See if that helps.
    Been playing for about a month on RS 2014. I was having some problems with tuning on Drop D before the patch, especially for Muse songs. Now it's happening on E standard as well. Happens whether I strum softly or hard, and I am able to correct for it by moving one fret lower (2 becomes 1, 1 becomes open, etc). I'd agree I was strumming too hard when I started, but now it's definitely not in tune after tuning (I can hear the tune difference when I strum, so the game's note detection is correct but the tuning screen is wrong).

    After the patch, it is an equal opportunity issue -- whether I strum on 13 or 14, or 2 and 3, it's off. I've tried lightly strumming during tuning as well as strumming hard during tuning. It doesn't make a difference -- the tuner moves on even if the string is about 20 Hz too high or low now.
    Share this post

  10. #10
    Marauder359's Avatar Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,229
    Originally Posted by GuyPaddock Go to original post
    Been playing for about a month on RS 2014. I was having some problems with tuning on Drop D before the patch, especially for Muse songs. Now it's happening on E standard as well. Happens whether I strum softly or hard, and I am able to correct for it by moving one fret lower (2 becomes 1, 1 becomes open, etc). I'd agree I was strumming too hard when I started, but now it's definitely not in tune after tuning (I can hear the tune difference when I strum, so the game's note detection is correct but the tuning screen is wrong).

    After the patch, it is an equal opportunity issue -- whether I strum on 13 or 14, or 2 and 3, it's off. I've tried lightly strumming during tuning as well as strumming hard during tuning. It doesn't make a difference -- the tuner moves on even if the string is about 20 Hz too high or low now.
    It's less likely your strum being too hard, but rather your fretting being too hard. Try to lighten your touch on the frets. You only need to achieve solid contact, while pushing down too hard can result in it being sharp and the game telling you to move down.

    Also, the game will allow you to tune your guitar either sharp or flat and still fill that little circle. Make sure you're tuning up (from negative to 0), not down... tightening into tune, not loosening into tune... Also, make sure you're in the -5 to 0 range when you complete the circle... and lastly, make sure you're completing the circle with tension off the peg from your fingers.
    Share this post