ze_topazio's Avatar Senior Member

"The making of Assassinís Creed 4: origins, reparations & uncharted waters"

An interesting article with the insights of Jean Guesdon and Darby McDevitt about AC4 and a small tease for the future.

http://www.vg247.com/2014/01/20/the-...harted-waters/

Originally Posted by ze_topazio Go to original post
    An interesting article with the insights of Jean Guesdon and Darby McDevitt about AC4 and a small tease for the future.

http://www.vg247.com/2014/01/20/the-...harted-waters/
    Thanks for the link! Cool article!

SixKeys's Avatar Senior Member
    The so-called "tease" was ridiculously out of place. It's like the reporter just wanted to ask about Japan in particular and then stuck the answer in the middle of the article in a completely non-related context.

In the end, Assassin’s Creed 4: Black Flag takes significant steps towards rectifying problems from across the series. It succeeded in the majority, but what of the rumours that suggest Ubisoft ditched Connor and his North American setting as a way of making amends? Guesdon revealed, “Every game, every project has its own history, its own challenges and its own reception. We were already in conception and pre-production when Assassin’s Creed 3 entered full speed production. Our main key decisions were already made when the first reviews came in. For sure we read them and identified some points that we wanted to make sure to address but in no way was Black Flag decided or majorly influenced after or by Assassin’s Creed 3’s reception.”
    While not exactly surprising considering the tight development schedule, this doesn't sound like a good approach. Basically it states that every game is already halfway through production before the reviews of the previous game start pouring in and possible problems can be addressed. If AC3 was not their template for improving AC4, what was? Does this mean the next game will take its cue from AC3 rather than AC4 in terms of linearity, mission design etc., since production will have started around the end of AC3's development? The AC5 team will not have benefitted from the hindsight of AC4's reception as it's likely already too far into production to make major changes.

killzab's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by SixKeys Go to original post
    The so-called "tease" was ridiculously out of place. It's like the reporter just wanted to ask about Japan in particular and then stuck the answer in the middle of the article in a completely non-related context.

While not exactly surprising considering the tight development schedule, this doesn't sound like a good approach. Basically it states that every game is already halfway through production before the reviews of the previous game start pouring in and possible problems can be addressed. If AC3 was not their template for improving AC4, what was? Does this mean the next game will take its cue from AC3 rather than AC4 in terms of linearity, mission design etc., since production will have started around the end of AC3's development? The AC5 team will not have benefitted from the hindsight of AC4's reception as it's likely already too far into production to make major changes.
    Indeed, this plus cut content ... Black Flag is surprisingly well-polished though compared to AC3.

ze_topazio's Avatar Senior Member
    That's how Ubisoft rolls and we already knew that, as we speak AC5 is already halfway through its production and AC6 is on its early stages and AC7 may be already in the planning phase.

Yeah, I just hate how they're practically bragging about it. "No, of course AC4's improvements weren't a direct result of fan feedback! How could they be when the game was already almost finished?" I don't think that's exactly something to be proud of.

Landruner's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by ze_topazio Go to original post
    That's how Ubisoft rolls and we already knew that, as we speak AC5 is already halfway through its production and AC6 is on its early stages and AC7 may be already in the planning phase.
    You forgot to mention Black Flag 2 in your list of future ACs + certainly the other coming up spin offs as well! LOL! But i think you are right in the UBI planning for that series

Shahkulu101's Avatar Senior Member
    Yeah, I just hate how they're practically bragging about it. "No, of course AC4's improvements weren't a direct result of fan feedback! How could they be when the game was already almost finished?" I don't think that's exactly something to be proud of.
    Well they should be proud that they made such an exceptional game on their own merits, I suppose. Plus, I don't think either Darby or Jean have a say on the development cycle - slightly unfair to judge them personally.

LoyalACFan's Avatar Senior Member
    Not directly related to the article, but I was just struck by the two bullshots in the text. Edward leaning off the rigging while watching a whale breach, and Edward kneecapping that soldier. I know they're old, but I really find it annoying that they release shots like this of things that don't happen in the game.

Originally Posted by Shahkulu101 Go to original post
    Well they should be proud that they made such an exceptional game on their own merits, I suppose. Plus, I don't think either Darby or Jean have a say on the development cycle - slightly unfair to judge them personally.
    I wasn't judging them personally. They have every right to be proud of the game they made. That doesn't change the fact that openly admitting "we don't have time to take fan feedback into account, so no, it didn't affect this game" reflects poorly on the company and the whole franchise.