Can we skip the origin story?

We've seen three different Assassins recruited now... Every protagonist since Ezio has been a new recruit.
    Ezio: What my father was a banker? How could he have been an Assassin?

Connor/Ratohnhaké ton: I will train with these Assassins to save my people!

Edward: When does this creed get profitable?

Can we go back to Someone like Altair, Post-AC2 Ezio, Aveline, and Haytham a character who is already aware of the Assassins and Templars and has his/her own agenda?

Thoughts?

Kagurra's Avatar Senior Member
    Going the route of Altair as far as introduction is actually an interesting perspective. I'd be okay with that if it was done right TBH.

Assassin_M's Avatar AC Expert
    Aveline?

I like the origin stories. Makes me feel like I grow along with the characters as they do. Makes me connect better.

maybe just a 5 minute origin cutscene for the next character

SixKeys's Avatar Senior Member
    Always keep in mind that every new game is potentially someone's first entry into the series. An origin story allows the player to connect with the protagonist in ways they can relate to. Altaďr is the closest we ever got to an assassin with no origin story, but in AC1 our "straight man" was Desmond, who was just as clueless as the player.

As was pointed out, new players can potentially start at any point in the series (I started with AC3 myself) so how a character is introduced can make or break a person's interest in the series. Learning how a person got involved with the Assassins/Templars is often an important plot point and can shape how they deal with the conflict later. This is often why origin stores are what's the first in a franchise for things such as superheroes and often what gets repeated when a franchise is rebooted. You need a relatable character or people just go meh. It's a bit different if the origin is explained during the story via flashbacks or something, but you have to be careful with those or they can get confusing. Due to Ubisoft changing protagonists every game now, origin stores are pretty much required if only to introduce new players into the series smoother.

Perhaps Ubisoft can have a tutorial bit that goes into how the person entered the Assassin/Templar conflict and teaches you how to play the game, and then the rest of the game. When you replay the game, you can skip the tutorial and go right into the "meat" of the story as it were. Experienced players can chose to skip the tutorial right off the bat at the expense of missing the origin story, while players on a second or third playthrough can skip the tutorial because they already know how to play and already know the story.

Perhaps they could have something like the Christina missions in AC:B, but telling the origin story instead.

LoyalACFan's Avatar Senior Member
    This is part of the reason I want a Shao Jun game. We've already got her backstory, so no need for five hours of prologue.

And also, Aveline? She actually needed an origin story IMO, and didn't get one; she just randomly jumped from little kid to Assassin with nothing in between. It was pretty off-putting TBH. I'd have no problem starting a game as someone who's already an Assassin, but I don't want to start as a non-Assassin, play a few missions, cut to black and magically become one.

Assassin_M's Avatar AC Expert
    Originally Posted by LoyalACFan Go to original post
    And also, Aveline? She actually needed an origin story IMO, and didn't get one; she just randomly jumped from little kid to Assassin with nothing in between. It was pretty off-putting TBH. I'd have no problem starting a game as someone who's already an Assassin, but I don't want to start as a non-Assassin, play a few missions, cut to black and magically become one.
    Oh no, I don't mean to say that she didn't NEED one, just the fact that she never had one 8P

Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last ►►