DLC size & speed unacceptable

Whenever I download Steam games or driver updates or whatever, my machine achieves a respectable average of 150 Kb/s. Except on UPlay, where it achieves averages of 30 Kb/s even though all the appropriate ports are open. Despite this speed, it's effectively impossible to download anything else in the background (like say news websites).

The Freedom Cry DLC is about 3.9 Gb to download. This makes Freedom Cry about 6 times the size of my last nVidia driver update.

After spending 36 hours downloading Freedom Cry I consumed half my download allowance for the month. Since I need to do things like check my e-mails, I pulled the plug on the Freedom Cry download until the next billing cycle. As a result, I cannot play AC4 multiplayer to get my all-important UPlay points.

THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE.

No more than 1gig of data should be pushed out per game per month -- and this includes patches. If the patch/DLC needs to be bigger the options are:
    • Spread the load over several months
    • Provide players the option of receiving the data via DVD for no more than the cost of mailing the disc.

And most importantly, update UPlay to use a torrent download model.

I'm not having issues myself with the size or the DL speed, my issues come from the bandwidth used when downloading.

There are 2 main computers in my house that use Steam. Mine and my 13yr old Nephews. We both DL stuff on Steam all the time. No problems at all. I can be downloading an update for any game on Steam and he could be downloading a new game at the same time, and we have no bandwidth problems in the house at all. On top of that we have a lot of wireless devices running in the house on the same network. ALL of these things could be working and downloading at the same time, and we have no problems at all.

The MOMENT that the UPLAY client starts downloading ANYTHING, our entire bandwidth drops like a rock. Everything slows to a crawl. Web browsing, steaming, checking email, ANYTHING related to the internet, if UPLAY is downloading. you can be that you might as well write off whatever else you were doing on the internet.

For the life of me I cannot figure out what the problem is. I HATE the UPLAY client.

Amen to that.

Originally Posted by Smoke3723 Go to original post
    Whenever I download Steam games or driver updates or whatever, my machine achieves a respectable average of 150 Kb/s. Except on UPlay, where it achieves averages of 30 Kb/s even though all the appropriate ports are open. Despite this speed, it's effectively impossible to download anything else in the background (like say news websites).

The Freedom Cry DLC is about 3.9 Gb to download. This makes Freedom Cry about 6 times the size of my last nVidia driver update.

After spending 36 hours downloading Freedom Cry I consumed half my download allowance for the month. Since I need to do things like check my e-mails, I pulled the plug on the Freedom Cry download until the next billing cycle. As a result, I cannot play AC4 multiplayer to get my all-important UPlay points.

THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE.

No more than 1gig of data should be pushed out per game per month -- and this includes patches. If the patch/DLC needs to be bigger the options are:
    • Spread the load over several months
    • Provide players the option of receiving the data via DVD for no more than the cost of mailing the disc.

And most importantly, update UPlay to use a torrent download model.
    How would Freedom Cry get out then? They can't just send it out in chunks and expect us to play it.

Yes, I'm sure Ubisoft would love to cater to your needs just because your internet is capped.

This is another case of needless issues that are clogging this forum. It's not going to happen.

Frag_Maniac's Avatar Banned
    Most by now accept that games are bigger in file size, but with that has come HDDs that offer huge capacity at reasonable prices, and faster internet speeds that are cheaper than cable TV. Get up to speed man, it's your crap ISP that's lagging behind. You're damn lucky to find DLC that adds THAT much sp play time anymore.

YazX_'s Avatar Volunteer MOD
    so you have 8 GB Bandwidth CAP and complaining about the game!!!??!

the standard of AAA games now is 25 GB+ and digital distribution for games, DLCs and updates is the fastest and best way to go, if your current connection cannot handle this, then its not Ubisoft's problem rather than yours.

It's not the cap that's pissing me off (I take that on the chin) it's the 3 day download time with the utter inability to download anything else. I'm not the only one who's suffering 30K speeds on UPlay, this needs to be fixed.

It's not the cap that's pissing me off (I take that on the chin) it's the 3 day download time with the utter inability to download anything else. I'm not the only one who's suffering 30K speeds on UPlay, this needs to be fixed.
    Even the 150Kbps speed you mentioned indicates you only have about a 1.5Mbps ISP speed, so it's not just Uplay that's slow.

Originally Posted by Frag_Maniac Go to original post
    Even the 150Kbps speed you mentioned indicates you only have about a 1.5Mbps ISP speed, so it's not just Uplay that's slow.
    Okay so my speed's slow, my caps are too low, mea culpa.

But UPlay slows the whole download thing down by 1/5. Why isn't it downloading at speeds similar to all my other applications? And why is it that whenever UPlay downloads, no other computer on my home network can download anything?

Okay so my speed's slow, my caps are too low, mea culpa.

But UPlay slows the whole download thing down by 1/5. Why isn't it downloading at speeds similar to all my other applications? And why is it that whenever UPlay downloads, no other computer on my home network can download anything?
    Uplay is the worst game browser in the industry, and in your case it may also be that Ubi's servers don't service your area very well.

That said, I'm not convinced your ISP isn't partly at fault. There are things you can check on your internet service other than speed, like packet loss. Too much packet loss will cause downloads to take longer.

You also need to check whether your ISP is not just capping capacity, but speed when you're near it's limit. At any rate it doesn't really make sense to have an 8GB capped ISP, then complain that an over 20GB game is downloading slowly.

I know you're talking about just the DLC in this case, but my God, what did you do to DL the game? Must have taken two months.