Feedback about the Early Access process

Hello devs,

I wanted to share my 2 cents about how I perceived the development process during EA.
    When I read that there would be a new Might and Magic I was excited. When I read that it would be possible to participate in the development process I was even enthusiastic!
    For me that was the best news in recent gaming history.
    But that excitement and enthusiasm led to expectations as well - and to some disappointments cause not all of them were met.

What I liked
    • The idea of participation and the chance to give feedback
    • The votes (could have been more and more "decisive", but were a nice feature anyway)
    • Testing the game half a year before its release
    • LE-Larissa's nice, friendly and uplifting writing style. She gave us (me) the feeling that she (you) did actually care about the community
    • The continuous stream of interesting news on the blog
    • The "backstage" stories. Reminds that there are actually human beings creating the game

What I didnt like
    • By far my most important point:
      Expectation management. As stated above the EA-announcement and press reviews suggested that we, the fans, were almost sitting side by side with you programming this game. So it seemed as if we woud have a definite say in which road to take (" influence the shape and design of the game directly by sharing your knowledge and suggestions with us."). But that was not the case. Actually only minor suggestions made it into the game, like day-night-cycle. All major ones were discarded (animated portraits, spell system, paper dolls, arcomage, ...). That would have been fine IF you had made it clearer that you were only interested in feedback about bugs. But after raising the expectation bar so high it was a disappointment not to see any of the bigger ideas being picked up.
      And I am almost certain that this must have been painful for you as well. Always to say "no" and then get a lot of negative feedback from disappointed fans.
    • The "sudden loss" of LE-Larissa (she went to holiday... and was gone). What happened to her actually? Did she leave the team?

So all in all, what might have been an awesome experience (if we could have had more influence on the development) was still a good experience. I would rank it a "B".
    I hope you will come up with MMXI in the next years and make this good Open Dev experience and outstanding one ("A+").

Originally Posted by LegacyForTheWin Go to original post
    [*]By far my most important point:
    Expectation management. As stated above the EA-announcement and press reviews suggested that we, the fans, were almost sitting side by side with you programming this game. So it seemed as if we woud have a definite say in which road to take (" influence the shape and design of the game directly by sharing your knowledge and suggestions with us."). But that was not the case. Actually only minor suggestions made it into the game, like day-night-cycle. All major ones were discarded (animated portraits, spell system, paper dolls, arcomage, ...). That would have been fine IF you had made it clearer that you were only interested in feedback about bugs. But after raising the expectation bar so high it was a disappointment not to see any of the bigger ideas being picked up.
    And I am almost certain that this must have been painful for you as well. Always to say "no" and then get a lot of negative feedback from disappointed fans.
    I think this falls into the responsibility of the reader. If one thinks that a single person can have a definitive say on the development process while there are hundreds of other players with conflicting opinions, and no understanding on things like budget and other restrictions, I wouldn't put the blame on the devs or the publisher. Some common sense and critical reading skills can be expected.

Originally Posted by SadFerret Go to original post
    I think this falls into the responsibility of the reader. If one thinks that a single person can have a definitive say on the development process while there are hundreds of other players with conflicting opinions, and no understanding on things like budget and other restrictions, I wouldn't put the blame on the devs or the publisher. Some common sense and critical reading skills can be expected.
    I disagree.
    If the devs announce the Open Development phase like that there is not much room for interpretation.
    Of course I wasnt expecting that I alone decide about features! But I was expecting that they listen to suggestions that many persons support. There wasnt a conflicting opinion about paperdolls for example.
    And as you can see in the forums many people tried to convince the developers to include them. And they did because they felt they had been asked to give suggestions.

Ah, the eternal struggle between hype and managing expectations.

Honestly I don't think it would have made much difference, they were always going to get overwhelming amounts of venom for making a niche game that wasn't cloning the gameplay of the later titles.