🛈 Announcement
Greetings! The Rocksmith forums are now archived and accessible in read-only mode, please go to the new platform to discuss the game
    SquirrellyNinja's Avatar RS Product Manager

Rocksmith 2014 - Notehead and Tail Guide (What do those symbols mean?)

http://imgur.com/a/vlxTS

Here is a comprehensive guide of the notation and symbol used for techniques in Rocksmith 2014. A PDF will be going up on the main website soon, but here it is as a photo album online to be stickied in the meanwhile.

This applies to all versions of RS2014.

UPDATE: The address of the pdf on the main site is here: http://static2.cdn.ubi.com/ncsa/rock...il%20guide.pdf

And it appears in the general FAQ.

rapplebee's Avatar Member
    Sweet! Thanks for this!!!

toymachinesh's Avatar Senior Member
    Great!

Thanks so much for doing this!
    I don't mean to threadjack here, but shouldn't there be a fretting diagram for the chord strum palm mute?
    Otherwise it would be a fret hand mute, wouldn't it?

SquirrellyNinja's Avatar RS Product Manager
    Originally Posted by Kosanderson Go to original post
    Thanks so much for doing this!
    I don't mean to threadjack here, but shouldn't there be a fretting diagram for the chord strum palm mute?
    Otherwise it would be a fret hand mute, wouldn't it?
    You'd see the diagram if it's the first chord pane. The example shown is a subsequent strum so you'd have already seen the chord pane with all the notes within it marked as muted apporpriately. However, you raise a valid point that this PDF does not account for that instance.

C.Linton's Avatar Senior Member
    Not complaining at all, this is nice that you put this up, but I'm just thinking it would have been nice to have this in the in-game manual

Great reference, I know a lot of people were looking for exactly this. The problem with using the in-game lessons is similar to using a dictionary to looking up the spelling of the word, if you don't know how to spell it, you don't know where to look.

On another note, I sometimes see an open string with what looks to be a fret-hand mute symbol. How is that supposed to be played?

Originally Posted by BatteringYam Go to original post
    Great reference, I know a lot of people were looking for exactly this. The problem with using the in-game lessons is similar to using a dictionary to looking up the spelling of the word, if you don't know how to spell it, you don't know where to look.

On another note, I sometimes see an open string with what looks to be a fret-hand mute symbol. How is that supposed to be played?
    I like your dictionary analogy, it is spot on and I also think the in-game manual could have been more comprehensive.

I believe the note you're referring to above is just a palm mute on the open string. Rest the palm of your picking hand on the strings close to the bridge to add a mute effect.

I would like to see added to this the different main brackets. What I'm talking about is I'll play a chord and then it expects me to repeat, but some of the rectangles have a bright box around them and some are more transparent. Is this related more to the strumming (right hand) than it is the fretting ( left hand) ? Does one represent strumming down while the other represents strumming up?

Please add this to the PDF. Thanks.

Originally Posted by Sundog_DD Go to original post
    I would like to see added to this the different main brackets. What I'm talking about is I'll play a chord and then it expects me to repeat, but some of the rectangles have a bright box around them and some are more transparent. Is this related more to the strumming (right hand) than it is the fretting ( left hand) ? Does one represent strumming down while the other represents strumming up?

Please add this to the PDF. Thanks.
    No, the bright boxes are accented chords. I think there is a lesson about accenting. The darker boxes with a little cross in them are muted chords.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last ►►