killzab's Avatar Senior Member

Q&A with Darby on AC Initiates

https://acinitiates.com/forum/discus...04/page/10#/10

Here you go.

Some interesting stuff to read.

But, it's only my opinion of course, but I think Darby is a little too "proud" or cocky for my taste. He's a pretty good writer but he could use some humility in regards to criticism at least. Or perhaps it's just his way of answering the questions IDK ...

Darby is my hero. He stands up for whis work.

Taking critisism is not always putting your head down in shame and taking all the blows. Sometimes it is exhanging ideas and beliefs. Obviously many people were not happy with the story, and yet just as many were. But, as always, the ones who hate are the ones who whine the loudest.

Darby is one of those people who is not afraid to speak their mind. So many people in the game industry are just all "smile through their teeth" kind of people. But Darb is not. He intimidated me at first with his brutally honest personality, but soon I saw past it and realized he was just a guy who is VERY proud of his work

Oh good. I like these answers.

Some people think that AC is about plot, when Darby says that the characters are equally if not more important.

Originally Posted by Darby McDevitt
    We had a story to tell about Edward, and we did it.

Well there's a subtle difference between saying "our story is good" and "we're proud of the story we created and we're sorry you didn't like it as much as we do" .

Darby tends to say the first.

He just said on Twitter that the thread I created about the story and all the criticism it received is "funny", the one with 100+ messages in it. So he thinks developed and honest criticism is "funny" ? That's some way of respecting your fans' opinions.

I am SOOOO sorry if I didn't create a thread saying "the story is perfect !" and I didn't even say it was bad. I just wanted to point out that the story seems to be one of the most mixed aspects of the game according to reviews and players. But since it's just funny to him ... I may as well stop caring about the franchise ...

Originally Posted by killzab Go to original post
    Well there's a subtle difference between saying "our story is good" and "we're proud of the story we created and we're sorry you didn't like it as much as we do" .

Darby tends to say the first.

He just said on Twitter that the thread I created about the story and all the criticism it received is "funny", the one with 100+ messages in it. So he thinks developed and honest criticism is "funny" ? That's some way of respecting your fans' opinions.

I am SOOOO sorry if I didn't create a thread saying "the story is perfect !" and I didn't even say it was bad. I just wanted to point out that the story seems to be one of the most mixed aspects of the game according to reviews and players. But since it's just funny to him ... I may as well stop caring about the franchise ...
    Alright dont overreact. He can maybe be a little bit more understanding, but there is no need to say things like that

SixKeys's Avatar Senior Member
    "No more third person characters like Desmond for the forseeable future. But each game will have a unique approach to the present day. So no more Abstergo Entertainment either."

Now this sounds intriguing...

Originally Posted by SixKeys Go to original post
    "No more third person characters like Desmond for the forseeable future. But each game will have a unique approach to the present day. So no more Abstergo Entertainment either."

Now this sounds intriguing...
    Ayg. He said you will play as..I guess "you" again, but ina different time period. Perhaps first civ. perhaps the aita/juno plot has us go back to visit the original Aita

Originally Posted by Wolfmeister1010 Go to original post
    Alright dont overreact. He can maybe be a little bit more understanding, but there is no need to say things like that
    I am not overreacting, I am just kinda angry. I didn't insult him, I just have issues with his attitude.

pirate1802's Avatar AC Expert
    Originally Posted by Wolfmeister1010 Go to original post
    So many people in the game industry are just all "smile through their teeth" kind of people.
    Agreed totally. ost people these days are the wishy washy-ahh you're right, we tried out best blablabla types. Mostly saying nothing worthwhile and sugercoating everything. I'd take an outspoken -and sometimes-disconcerting person over these types to whom talking is virtually useless.

Originally Posted by killzab Go to original post
    I am SOOOO sorry if I didn't create a thread saying "the story is perfect !" and I didn't even say it was bad.
    Well to be fair you did say the story kinda failed. That was the "consensus" Then asked why did it fail. To which I'm totally facepalming because I don't think the story failed at all. So I'm not included in this consensus, and none of my friends who've played it either. I think a better and non-funny thread would be the one in which you didn't already reach the conclusion in the OP and ask people what their thoughts are, to reach the conclusion. Asking people why it failed is kind of a loaded question. Maybe thats why he found it funny.

Originally Posted by pirate1802 Go to original post
    Agreed totally. ost people these days are the wishy washy-ahh you're right, we tried out best blablabla types. Mostly saying nothing worthwhile and sugercoating everything. I'd take an outspoken -and sometimes-disconcerting person over these types to whom talking is virtually useless.

Well to be fair you did say the story kinda failed. That was the "consensus" Then asked why did it fail. To which I'm totally facepalming because I don't think the story failed at all. So I'm not included in this consensus, and none of my friends who've played it either. I think a better and non-funny thread would be the one in which you didn't already reach the conclusion in the OP and ask people what their thoughts are, to reach the conclusion. Asking people why it failed is kind of a loaded question. Maybe thats why he found it funny.
    I didn't say the story failed, I said it's the one criticism that tends to come back the most in reviews.

Everytime I read a review, the reviewer complained more or less about it.

So after hearing SO MANY TIMES that the story was a little underwhelming, I wanted to discuss why and what should've been better.

And I'm entitled to my opinion..

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... Last ►►