🛈 Announcement
Greetings! The Rocksmith forums are now archived and accessible in read-only mode, please go to the new platform to discuss the game

Unrecognized disk on Xbox 360

I just purchased this game and have exchanged it four times. Each time I get an error message of disc is unreadable with all the discs I have purchased. I contacted xbox support and they ran through the basic troubleshooting but nothing has changed. Bottom line I can not play the game. I got it on xbox 360 after hearing all the horror stories about PC versions working correctly. I know others have had the issue I am having. Is there any solution or fix?

Tully__'s Avatar Global Moderator
    I would first check that the disk is readable on a PC (obviously it wont install, but you should be able to browse the files). If it's readable, confirm that some other disks are readable in your XBox. If not, suspect a faulty optical drive on the XBox, otherwise contact https://support.ubi.com/ and log a ticket.

Marauder359's Avatar Banned
    Originally Posted by Tully__ Go to original post
    I would first check that the disk is readable on a PC (obviously it wont install, but you should be able to browse the files). If it's readable, confirm that some other disks are readable in your XBox. If not, suspect a faulty optical drive on the XBox, otherwise contact https://support.ubi.com/ and log a ticket.
    That's a lot of optical drives going bad exactly when you release your patch, don't you think?

Originally Posted by Marauder359 Go to original post
    That's a lot of optical drives going bad exactly when you release your patch, don't you think?
    What has the patch got to do with a fresh install of a newly purchased disk?

What has the patch got to do with a fresh install of a newly purchased disk?
    Well, you folks expect members to come in here and do a search for a topic betore starting a new one... one would think you folks could be bothered to see that there are like 5 topics on this exact subject in the top 3 pages of the forum... not remotely all of which are a result of a new installation... all of which started happening after the patch on the 360.... You're the employee of Ubisoft, you tell me.... but they're obviously connected. The problem wasn't happening before the patch and is happening, regularly, now.

.... You're the employee of Ubisoft.....
    Actually, I'm not. Like most of the moderators, I'm a community volunteer just trying to help. The Forum Managers and Community Developers are staff, but not the bulk of the moderators.

Actually, I'm not. Like most of the moderators, I'm a community volunteer just trying to help. The Forum Managers and Community Developers are staff, but not the bulk of the moderators.
    Who can keep up with all the various Ubisoft minions?

Oh well, then feel free to ignore how we've been told to use the forum, I suppose.

Point being, I never once saw this issue posted about until the patch, after which, several threads were created on this very topic... coincidence? Perhaps... but I doubt it.

Do other games work? I had an xbox that had a disk drive go bad on it and no games would work.

Point being, I never once saw this issue posted about until the patch, after which, several threads were created on this very topic... coincidence? Perhaps... but I doubt it.
    There have been a number of posts about the game not recognising the disk after a patch. This topic is about the XBox not recognising the disk before the game is even installed. This suggests either the disk is bad (unlikely after several return and replacements) or the optical drive in the XBox is having issues. As posted by berad88 this is something that, though rare, is not unheard of.

Longjoneill4's Avatar Member
    My money is on the optical drive. If your warranty is expired, check Youtube. I found a great video explaining everything that causes this error. Mostly just cleaning parts with a Q tip. It was as good as new within an hour.