View Poll Results: Which weapon in AC4 has your favorite kill animations?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hidden blades

1 7.69%
  • Double swords

6 46.15%
  • Single swords

6 46.15%
  • Fists

0 0%
  • Heavy weapons

0 0%
  • Musket

0 0%

Combat Animations

Recently, I have been thinking about the combat situation in AC, and I realized that some of the issues people have with combat are with the kill animations of the weapons. And I am not talking about the length of the animation, (although this has an effect as well) I am talking about the quality of the animation. For example, I really do not like fighting with the double swords, because the animations are very chunky and disjointed to me. 4 of them belong with the tomahawk, and look very very bad with the double swords. The animations are very clunky in general and even though it doest affect the gameplay, it makes combat annoying to me. However, I LOVE the animations of then hidden blades and especially the single sword, so combat is actually quite more fun for me with them.

Am I the only one who thinks this?

On a different note, do you think it would be too much to ask for the ability to sheath single swords or switch out double swords for single swords?

phoenix-force411's Avatar Senior Member
    Hidden Blades and Double Swords are cool in ACIV, but some of their streak and counter kill animations are ridiculously long. The Pistol swords suffer from an even longer animation.
    In my opinion, Single swords kill the fastest and I can actually kill with them faster and more fluidly.

They could of made the double swords (duel cutlasses) such much better, some of the animations look a bit rough and some have been badly recycled from AC III tomahawk kills... I prefer single sword.

Imo, it's like they took the best thing about the last game (weapons and kill animations) and made it one of the worst things about this one, for instance - when you want to perform a standing high profile kill on unsuspecting guards, with the double swords it does the same crappy double swipe/slash type animation, whether there facing you or not, whereas in ACIII if you did the same, each weapon had maybe two animations for when a guard was facing you and a different one for when he had his back to you. It just seems like there's much less variation of kill animations (in a non-combat situation) in AC IV.

pacmanate's Avatar Senior Member
    You sure do make a lot of threads

shobhit7777777's Avatar Senior Member
    None TBH

I miss the Ezio era kills when one or two stabs/slashes would do it. Edward just goes on and on and on and on and on....till a point where I go: "Dude..just stop...he is dead..thats a corpse you're hacking. Maybe kill his friend over the- No?...Oh you want to stab him some more? ok...*sigh*"

Originally Posted by shobhit7777777 Go to original post
    None TBH

I miss the Ezio era kills when one or two stabs/slashes would do it. Edward just goes on and on and on and on and on....till a point where I go: "Dude..just stop...he is dead..thats a corpse you're hacking. Maybe kill his friend over the- No?...Oh you want to stab him some more? ok...*sigh*"
    Been a while mate

Yeah pretty much, the only thing that annoys me is the ******* length.

BoBwUzHeRe1138's Avatar Senior Member
    Wait...I thought you had to use dual swords once you got them...can you use just a single sword..?

Kagurra's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by BoBwUzHeRe1138 Go to original post
    Wait...I thought you had to use dual swords once you got them...can you use just a single sword..?
    No, you just take them from enemies.

Also, to Maceonik, there aren't actually any reused tomahawk animations that I've seen. Yes, some look similar like the throat slit double sword one, but it's different. The starting kick of the animation is reused but not the whole part.

shobhit7777777's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by sidspyker24 Go to original post
    Been a while mate

Yeah pretty much, the only thing that annoys me is the ******* length.

Thankfully I prefer to stay covert or run away...so I mostly avoid the combat

The social stealth mechanics are quiet robust...from blending to evasion. Not bad.

Originally Posted by Kagurra Go to original post
    Also, to Maceonik, there aren't actually any reused tomahawk animations that I've seen. Yes, some look similar like the throat slit double sword one, but it's different. The starting kick of the animation is reused but not the whole part.
    When I said recycled, I didn't mean completely reused, the word I should of used is adapted... the point is you can tell, and it looks clunky and unpolished imo. Double swords was a good idea that could of been done a lot better, and why they didn't include the option to chose whether you want two swords or one while also stopping the option of carrying a secondary weapon like blunt, small or heavy weapons is beyond me.

AC IV is a much better overall game than AC III, but Connor is a much better character to control than Edward.