Why do you choose a particular faction?

Hello everyone!

So I have a question for you all. Why do you choose a particular faction? I have played as 2 factions (Sylvan and Haven. Just started Academy so still learning about them) and have seen a couple of differences already.

So what drives you to pick a faction? Does your strategy in picking a faction change from PvP servers to PvE servers? Do you try to build an alliance with a good spread of different factions or try to go heavy on a particular type?

Just curious to what your thoughts are!

Thanks!
    [GM] IIConnorsII

I like the fast start of the Academy. They are a lot more fun early on (I feel like there was more waiting when I played other factions), but as the game wears on I feel like their troops aren't as good. What I do like about them is that they have ranged/cav/melee/ranged/cav/melee in troop types for T1-T6. The only other faction that 1 of each in T1-T3 and T4-T6 is Sylvan. Inferno only has T2 and T7 infantry, Necro only has T3 and T7 cavalry, and Haven has T1 and T3 infantry, but none T4-T6. I feel like you get more HP's worth of T4-T6 units and I like to have plenty of each troop type (though I do focus on one particular type-usually T5 as it is the "main" resource and you can get a lot of them and they aren't weak). I also like casting spells and wizards in general, so I am drawn toward academy. They have the cheapest mage guilds.

EvyV's Avatar Junior Member
    I would have to say pretty much the same as dre.maa. I most often play either Acad or Sylvan. I like the fast build of Acad and the cheap access to magic. But Acad lacks destructive magic and that often feels like a real disadvantage. I'd say that on attack, nothing beats destructive magic, but it can be nearly useless on defense. Playing Haven, it just seems like everything takes forever to build, though Sylvan takes a lot of resources also. Light and dark magic can be a great combination, though. I have much less experience with Necro and Inferno. The only thing I would add to the above post is that T4 infantry is one very nice feature of Necro.

on PvE I use academy because it is he fastest and easiest way to start and play (light magic, cheap mage guilds, ...)
    on PvP if you play with academy and dayly recruitment you can do nothing against necro (T2 and phenix spell have no chance against T2,T4, dark magic spells and so on, and you have no good destruction spells) therefore I play necro

on servers where I don't want to play til the end I test each faction

Originally Posted by AndreanDW Go to original post
    on PvE I use academy because it is he fastest and easiest way to start and play (light magic, cheap mage guilds, ...)
    on PvP if you play with academy and dayly recruitment you can do nothing against necro (T2 and phenix spell have no chance against T2,T4, dark magic spells and so on, and you have no good destruction spells) therefore I play necro

on servers where I don't want to play til the end I test each faction
    For Academy on PvP versus necro, wouldn't the T4 magi with barrage fire be okay vs T2/T4 necro troops? You could also use firewall to great effect on T2 (not so much on T4) and yo have a decent destruction spell in fire trap (between ice bolt and inferno in damage versus melee). I am not saying that it is the best versus Necro (I would think that inferno would be better suited with all the ranged it has), but I would think that it wouldn't be horribly overmatched.

while attacking it's okay, when defending the fire trap makes damage only with luck; necro spells make damage all the time

In general, I'd say Academy is good at a fast start to give an initial advantage, and light magic helps to leverage that advantage. Summoning can swing a battle between equally matched players. The situation where it is difficult to play Academy is one where you are already overpowered.

Necro is a slow start because it requires rares that are not used for your T5-7 troops to build some basic buildings. It is good in a situation where you are fighting an evenly matched player because of summoning, and weakening spells like Death Touch. Also, if you are already overpowered, you still have spells that can do some damage (though there are ways to counter that).

Necro's Phoenix uses tier 3 troops, which are much less vulnerable to enemy spells like meteor shower/firewall, but they also aren't boosted much by +power/unit artifacts (compared to T2 for Academy or T1 for Sylvan). You can combine Academy's T2 Phoenix with Mystic Shield on defense or Righteous Might on offense to give it a major boost, provided that it survives to the next round. Necro has no real way to strengthen its Phoenix spell, though something like Death Touch/Vulnerable can have a similar effect to a smaller degree.

there is no 'best' faction that wins against each other faction
    the best way to win is playing within an active alliance where each kind of enemy can be contered by one of the active players

Yeah I have been able to see how powerful casting spells can be.

Do you guys think it's better to have a large amount of weaker troops or a small about of T5, T6, T7 troops? (I know I'm asking very general questions that almost never have an easy answer)

Thanks to everyone that replied!

[GM] IIConnorsII

If you fight NPC weaker troops can be buffed and they are awesome since spells aren't cast. Against players weaker troops aren't useful as they will get wiped out with spells. So if you play pve low-tier troops are better(or when vestiging even in pvp-worlds), but in pvp-battles high-tier troops are way better.