BATISTABUS's Avatar AC Expert

The AC2 Challenge and Changed Impressions on Replay *SPOILERS*

Is AC2 your favorite Assassin's Creed game? Was the last time you played it over 2 years ago? If so, I very much encourage you to play it again, especially if you just finished playing AC4. That's all this challenge is....just play AC2 again. Shouldn't be much of a problem if you consider it your favorite game in the franchise.

A large portion of this fan base seems to have an insane amount of nostalgia for this game, giving it undeserved praise in many areas. It's not that I don't understand this...AC2 has the most beautiful cities, pretty great atmosphere, and awesome tombs, and is overall a great game. At the time of playing it, I considered it my favorite game (which was then replaced by Brotherhood). When I replayed it before AC3 came out, I found it MUCH worse in just about every aspect. This weekend when my friend decided to pick it up, he couldn't even make it out of Firenze before giving up, and I can't really blame him. Has anyone else replayed a game and got a vastly different impression the second time around? If you replay it and love it just as much or even more than before, that's good for you. Even so, nostalgia goggles can be dangerous when applied to the present (in politics and games).

Here is how my opinion's changed about the game after a replay.

AC1: MUCH Better on Replay (I loved it before, but missed out on the entire Altair character development bit, didn't feel as repetitive)
    AC2: MUCH WORSE on Replay (story and characters were the most disappointing)
    ACB: MUCH WORSE on Replay (everything I saw as an improvement initially turned out to be excess and making the game easier, story was lame)
    ACR: Slightly Better on Replay (felt better, story/music better than I initially thought, favorite Ezio game)

Pre-replay favorite game list:

ACB > AC2 > AC1 > ACR

Current list:

AC1 = ACIV (still up for debate) > AC3 > AC2 > ACB (only because of multiplayer on release, otherwise it'd be last) > ACR

Spot on. I read comments about AC2 and AC1 (which is my favorite); but it's almost as if people who make said comments haven't even played it in three years. Black Flag dominates AC2, ACB, ACR and AC3 in every single category. AC3 is the only one that does combat better, but in every other aspect, Black Flag is king. I loved AC2, but if you've played it within the last year, it wouldn't have the high bar that most people give it. Great game, but certainly not the best in the series.

AC1 has been the only one to really hold up on replay, because it was the last one with open-ended missions. Black Flag now takes that title.

xx-pyro's Avatar Senior Member
    ACB was probably the MOST replayable game until AC4 came out, besides that I agree with everything you said.

phoenix-force411's Avatar Senior Member
    ACB's pretty boring to be honest....and I think people underrate ACR too much....ACII is still the best for me....Haven't beaten ACIV yet....

dxsxhxcx's Avatar Senior Member
    I played AC2 before AC3's release and loved every single bit of it, the story and its pace are really good and even if the combat isn't as fluid as ACB/R due to the lack of killstreaks I still had a lot of fun with it, AC1 is also great because it gives the player a total different experience from its successors and the atmosphere of that game still is the best of all AC games... I played ACB/R a few times after their release but they get boring pretty fast (especially ACB, I just can't stand Cesare and Ezio was pretty boring in that game as well) if compared to AC1/2 (ACR still is better than ACB though) , AC3 I only played once and I don't dare to play that game again (even thinking Connor is a great character)...

replay-value:
    AC2/AC1 > ACR > ACB/AC3

SixKeys's Avatar Senior Member
    I replay all the games pretty much whenever I feel like it. My opinion about AC2 hasn't changed much since the first time I played it. The first time I played it, I was actually slightly let down because the atmosphere was so different from AC1, but I still love the story. The only things dragging it down are the inability to replay memories and the dated graphics.

I fall in love with ACB all over again upon each replay. AC4 is gonna have a hard time beating it.

ACR has risen slightly in my estimation only in comparison with AC3, but on its own it's still a weak (yet beautiful) game.

I did find that AC3 is more fun if you pretty much ignore the story and any attempt at stealth and just go around randomly starting fights. It's like that's what the game was designed for.

I'll just pull a shameless plug and will leave this here.

Though, I wouldn't say it's really hard to go through Firenze, but on the other hand, I haven't replayed the game fully in at least a year or so.

One thing I want to say, though, is that after AC3 running in AC1-ACR feels sluggish to me. And it's related to the animations really, the way Connor's run is animated and how it reacts to your directional movements.

I did find that AC3 is more fun if you pretty much ignore the story and any attempt at stealth and just go around randomly starting fights. It's like that's what the game was designed for
    YES! AC1 was king. AC3 became a close second. Yes. Good stuff.

SixKeys's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by Farlander1991 Go to original post
    I'll just pull a shameless plug and will leave this here.

Though, I wouldn't say it's really hard to go through Firenze, but on the other hand, I haven't replayed the game fully in at least a year or so.

One thing I want to say, though, is that after AC3 running in AC1-ACR feels sluggish to me. And it's related to the animations really, the way Connor's run is animated and how it reacts to your directional movements.
    I have the exact opposite reaction to freerunning in earlier games vs. AC3. I freaking hate parkour in AC3; I actually go out of my way to avoid anything that looks like a climbable object (in the cities, not in the Frontier) because Connor has the tendency to climb on every box and market stall in sight even if I'm not directing him anywhere near them. When I went back to ACB recently, I remembered the joy of freerunning in AC again because of the controls being so nice and precise. Can't accidentally run up a wall if I'm not pressing Space, can't accidentally jump off a building unless I specifically tell the assassin to, and so on. Connor seemed to just do whatever the hell he liked regardless of my input. How many times were my attempts at a stealthy ledge assassination ruined by Connor not stopping his climbing when I told him to, but kept on climbing until he jumped right in front of the guard's face? With Ezio (and Altaïr), I can just keep on gently tapping the up button and they will grab hold of footholds one step at a time. So strict, so controlled, so precise. I love it.

Originally Posted by SixKeys Go to original post
    I have the exact opposite reaction to freerunning in earlier games vs. AC3. I freaking hate parkour in AC3; I actually go out of my way to avoid anything that looks like a climbable obect (in the cities, not in the Fronier) because Connor has the tendency to climb on every box and market stall in sight even if I'm not directing him anywhere near them. When I went back to ACB recently, I remembered the joy of freerunning in AC again because of the controls being so nice and precise. Can't accidentally run up a wall if I'm not pressing Space, can't accidentally jump off a building unless I specifically tell the assassin to, and so on. Connor seemed to just do whatever the hell he like regardless of my input. How many times were my attempts at a stealthy ledge assassination ruined by Connor not stopping him climbing when I told him to, but kept on climbing until he jumped right in front of the guard's face? With Ezio (and Altaïr), I can just keep on gently tapping the up button and they will grab hold of footholds one step at a time. So strict, so controlled, so precise. I love it.
    Well, I wasn't talking about the parkour in general, just about the, well, running

Though I never had problems with Connor not going where I wanted him to, but I've seen people who do so I understand perfectly that the problem's there.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... Last ►►