🛈 Announcement
Greetings! The Rocksmith forums are now archived and accessible in read-only mode, please go to the new platform to discuss the game
  1. #11
    Steamroller52's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    1,363
    Originally Posted by Three_Five_One Go to original post
    I have no idea how to do pinch harmonics so I just fret the note. For example, the main riff in Cemetery Gates.
    I haven't played Cemetery Gates yet, but for pinch harmonics I just gently roll the side of my thumb against the string as I'm finishing with my picking motion. Sometimes I do this accidentally and produce these cool sounding "squealies" when I'm not supposed to.

    Justin has a good lesson on Pinch Harmonics that helped me.
    Share this post

  2. #12
    Originally Posted by Steamroller52 Go to original post
    I haven't played Cemetery Gates yet, but for pinch harmonics I just gently roll the side of my thumb against the string as I'm finishing with my picking motion. Sometimes I do this accidentally and produce these cool sounding "squealies" when I'm not supposed to.

    Justin has a good lesson on Pinch Harmonics that helped me.
    Thanks I'll check it out.
    Share this post

  3. #13
    shikamaru-'s Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Tours, France
    Posts
    3,301
    To clarify. I may be wrong but the symbol for a pinch harmonic is different from natural harmonics. In this case it’s a natural harmonic with a sustain. That just doesn’t work, but fretting the note works.

    Pinch harmonics are not well recognized. I must admit I don’t risk doing them at all if I’m grinding. It seems some pinch harmonics are better recognized as other, I don’t really know how it exactly works, sometimes you just need to make a pinch harmonic while keeping the fundamental note, if you do a perfect pinch harmonics most of the time it will drop the note :/
    Share this post

  4. #14
    Steamroller52's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    1,363
    Originally Posted by sh1kamaru- Go to original post
    To clarify. I may be wrong but the symbol for a pinch harmonic is different from natural harmonics. In this case it’s a natural harmonic with a sustain. That just doesn’t work, but fretting the note works.

    Pinch harmonics are not well recognized. I must admit I don’t risk doing them at all if I’m grinding. It seems some pinch harmonics are better recognized as other, I don’t really know how it exactly works, sometimes you just need to make a pinch harmonic while keeping the fundamental note, if you do a perfect pinch harmonics most of the time it will drop the note :/
    Yeah with Jeremy we're just talking about Natural Harmonics on the 5th, 7th and 12th frets. For this song RS specifically will not register any harmonics on the 7th fret for me. I can even play the harmonic several more times while the sustained note tail is displayed on-screen and the tail will only light-up for the split-second that I pick the string (D or G string), this will allow me to not miss the note, but no sustain points are scored, so in the end I'm just fretting the 7th fret harmonics like normal notes. FYI, I played Whitesnake Is this love yesterday and all of the harmonics register perfectly, so at least this seems to be an isolated issue just with Jeremy.
    Share this post

  5. #15
    Brick235's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,679
    I had trouble with the intro harmonics too but did get them to register by picking a bit harder. Since you can do it at any point in the sustain I had a few attempts. So, not impossible but way more annoying than it should be. I think it is related to the tone used.
    Share this post

  6. #16
    Yes, the harmonics on the 7th fret are broken in Jeremy. Just like the harmonics in Barracuda cause a fairly serious glitch on Macs.

    Unfortunately, the only way to deal with it is to fret the notes. A lot of folks I've seen have had this exact same problem, even though the same harmonics play fine in other songs or in Harmonic Heist.
    Share this post

  7. #17
    I had the same problem with the game not registering the harmonics in the Jeremy intro. Fixed it by raising the pickups. Now for some strange reason the Jeremy tabs have changed. Dont know if it was in an update or if something corrupted the file. Will steam allow you to install it again?
    Share this post

  8. #18
    Brick235's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,679
    Originally Posted by Tank-OR Go to original post
    I had the same problem with the game not registering the harmonics in the Jeremy intro. Fixed it by raising the pickups. Now for some strange reason the Jeremy tabs have changed. Dont know if it was in an update or if something corrupted the file. Will steam allow you to install it again?
    There was a fix to Jeremy in the last patch. For PC and 360 only I believe. You can see the patch notes in the stickies at the top of the support sub-forum.
    Share this post

  9. #19
    SquirrellyNinja's Avatar RS Product Manager
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    592
    Originally Posted by sh1kamaru- Go to original post
    To clarify. I may be wrong but the symbol for a pinch harmonic is different from natural harmonics. In this case it’s a natural harmonic with a sustain. That just doesn’t work, but fretting the note works.

    Pinch harmonics are not well recognized. I must admit I don’t risk doing them at all if I’m grinding. It seems some pinch harmonics are better recognized as other, I don’t really know how it exactly works, sometimes you just need to make a pinch harmonic while keeping the fundamental note, if you do a perfect pinch harmonics most of the time it will drop the note :/
    Pinch harmonics aren't scored by Rocksmith 2014 given the wide variance depending on where you strike the string in producing the harmonic. Since there's no notation to indicate where that location is, it would be difficult to reproduce a pinch harmonic exactly just by sight reading and listening to the track. Rather than adhere to that small narrow window and actually scoring them, they are charted so people can get the best idea of how the song was originally played but not have any slight error counted against you.
    Share this post

  10. #20
    shikamaru-'s Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Tours, France
    Posts
    3,301
    Thanks for the clarification SquirellyNinja !
    Share this post