poptartz20's Avatar Senior Member

What If AC Games Were 6-8 Hour Long games?

Okay, so I just got done watching this review here (warning there is a small spoiler about the beginning of the game! watch until 1:17 then Skip to 1:30 to avoid it if you watch it)

http://epdaily.tv/all/type-of/review...360ps3wii-upc/

so basically what the guys say is that the series is plagued by its predecessors and that not only was this game a good stopping point to take a break in the series since it's been 6 games in 7 years and we need to get excited about AC again because it's an amazing franchise, but we need to breathe.

Also the other guy says, that everything feels so redundant and that the AC games should really hit the gas and move and get to the meat and point of the game faster instead of playing 40 hours be cut down to 6 or 8 hours and everything be really tight.

So my question is too you guys is, do you think something like this would work? A 6-8 hour game that puts you right into the action or should everything be fleshed out?
    would it even be worth the money at that point?

A sandbox game that is 6-8hrs long? Eh, no, just no. I want to see *more.* I want it to be bigger, more imersive, greater plot lines and more diversity.

You could still have "sandbox" just the actually story line would be really short. But everything is in there that you need to know. No time for filler. but you are still welcome and encouraged to explore everything else. It would be like an "optional" fun.

ze_topazio's Avatar Senior Member
    Metal Gear Rising is like 5 or 6 hours long and it's one the most fun and satisfying games i have played in recent years, Final Fantasy XIII for example is like 10000 hours long and nearly bored me to tears.

Exactly the point! so do you think the franchise can/would benefit from doing something like that vs. a 15+ storyline?

pirate1802's Avatar AC Expert
    NOPE. 6-8 hours are too short for a linear game, for a sandbox game like AC? NOPE!

pacmanate's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by poptartz20 Go to original post
    You could still have "sandbox" just the actually story line would be really short. But everything is in there that you need to know. No time for filler. but you are still welcome and encouraged to explore everything else. It would be like an "optional" fun.
    That was called AC:B. Well... lengthwise anyway.

I much prefer the longer games we have now. I don't have a need to rush through it and the developer should take the time to flesh out the world and the characters who inhabit it. But eve then, as long as the gameplay is fun, the length really shouldn't matter either way. I just have a preference to a developed story.

Revelations was way too short for me. I think I'd be pretty ticked to get through the main plot of a game in just 2 or 3 sittings.

It'd be one thing if the game wasn't so historically based, but trying to boil the historical events in each game, particularly very significant ones, to under 10 hours would be a detriment to the story. And by who's definition do you mean by 6-8 hours? A 6-8 hour game for a regular gamer might be 2 hours for a hardcore or speed gamer and 20 hours for a slower one. Unfortunately, you have to balance for those that like the story and those that don't care about it. I like the story more than the gameplay. It's why I'm pissed about recent events on reddit and twitter, but that's another topic.

I play plenty of games that are quoted to be 6-8 hours and I finish them in under 4 more often than not, then they get thrown into the uninstall pile to never be played again. They're mostly hidden object games and I never spend more than $7 on those. More often than not, I wait for sales and pick them up for $3. If AC got the story reduced to roughly the length of a hidden object game, I have no interest paying more than $6 for it even if there's a wide open world. So if the story got reduced as did the price, I might not complain. But if the story got reduced and nothing was added to compensate, I'd just walk away. If AC4's story got cut down to 25% what it is now and remains the same everywhere else, not sure I'd find as much value in spending $60 for it. I'd wait for it to hit the $5 bin.