🛈 Announcement
Greetings! Assassin's Creed forums are now archived and accessible in read-only mode, please go to the new platform to discuss the game.
    Ubi-Valentin's Avatar Community Manager

[How To] Create great Game Modes

Hi everyone,
    We noticed that many of you are enjoying the Game Lab, as well as the Game Modes created by members of the community.
    Soon we are going to start selecting some of your creations for public playlists, and our Lead Game Designer Tim Browne wanted to give you some tips to help you create Game Modes that are as good as possible. We hope this will help, and don't forget to ask your questions here below this post.

Valentin

Hi,

I’m Tim Browne, the Lead Game Designer for Assassin’s Creed 4 IV Black Flag multiplayer and several people have asked about making modes for the public playlist using the new feature ‘Game Lab’.

In a few weeks we’ll start choosing the first of your creations but to help guide you a little on some basic design considerations for your modes I’ve written a few tips to make sure your mode is popular AND eligible to be chosen.

General settings and thinking about your mode

• Try to consider how new players will appreciate and understand your mode. Try and put yourself in the shoes of a new player who may not know all the intricacies of the game and how your mode might be taken.
    • If you adjust the game session time consider if you mode might get stale for the same match over time or that it might get frustrating for a player that knows they will never be able to win but may still have 5 minutes of a round remaining and try to avoid these situations.
    • You can make a game session end early when a certain score or kill count is reach but as all FFA modes are based off of the players end score the only way to make a mode where the highest amount of kills wins is to simplify the scoring so that all kills count as the same amount.

Abilities, Perks, Streaks and Loss Streaks

• The mode should be balanced and fair. It shouldn’t cater only to 1 specific ability set unless you are forcing that ability set.
    • A general rule of thumb is if you are going to ban an ability, consider how that might unbalance other abilities. Often there are several counter abilities to them so this might unbalance a mode.
    • If you’re are not keen on a specific type of ability such as the ranged abilities you can ban all of them. This makes things fair and doesn’t just penalize players who prefer 1 of the specific ranged abilities.
    • If you’re considering banning more than around 3 abilities/perks, and your mode will not work if those abilities or perks are present consider banning all of them and making it more of a purist mode. Alternatively you can to force 1 or 2 ability sets and this will make the experience far more fair.
    • If you do choose to force 2 ability sets try to make sure that 1 can counter the other otherwise you’ll find players only select 1 of them anyway.

Adjusting the scoring

• You can use scoring to make certain actions less appealing. For example, if you want your mode to be more stealth based, reward stealth kills with a greater amount of points and penalize kills that are no stealthy by reducing them or making them score 0. This can also be applied to multipliers. The available multipliers are x0, x0.5, x1, x1.5, x2, x3 and x4.The x0 and x0.5 was deliberately included to be used as a penalty on actions. Using the x0.5 will half the score for the kill earned.
    • The scores can be adjusted up and down at 50 point intervals but did you know you can press the select button and specify any number you want from 0 to 1000.

Messing with the interface

• The interface options can be used to change a game mode also without having to effect the overall rules too much. Be mindful of what you disable though as this overrides the players own options in the mode. This could be confusing for players so consider if you really need to turn on or off an interface option for your mode to work well.
    • I hope these pointers and things to think about help you in crafting some great modes for the whole community to enjoy. I’m looking forward to playing your creations!

See you on the servers.
    Tim

Just a question, these modes that you pick, will they be the same across all platforms, or platform specific?

j0kay's Avatar Member
    • Try to consider how new players will appreciate and understand your mode. Try and put yourself in the shoes of a new player who may not know all the intricacies of the game and how your mode might be taken.

And a mode is designed as a hardcore mode for competitive play? Where is the point of Gamelab if we have to make every mode beginner-friendly and can't design a mode as competitive as we want it?

@Goowarna
    Tim Browne@N1tch30 Okt
    @TheTrueJokay@RaininStormwake thats currently to be decided. If we see a significant difference between platforms and favourites we might

@j0kay : here's an answer from Tim.

These tips were a general guide for all people wanting to create a mode in Game Lab. If a mode is created and it’s very competitive and becomes popular of course we’ll consider it for the public playlist.
    You can make a mode that is competitive but also doesn’t confuse or confound a new player of course and that would be the ideal.

If you make a mode that is popular only for 1% of the player base that is not really suitable for the ‘Public playlist’ – but you can still share it freely and enjoy it with friends & other players.

SixKeys's Avatar Senior Member
    What's the criteria for a GameLab mode being considered "popular" enough to be included in a public playlist? Since players aren't actually able to try them out except in a private group of friends.

TBH the game is new player friendly, competitive modes should have some advantage.

What's the criteria for a GameLab mode being considered "popular" enough to be included in a public playlist? Since players aren't actually able to try them out except in a private group of friends.
    The selection process will be explained in more details before the 1st mode is selected. Meanwhile I will relay your possible suggestions.

Valentin

Hi,
    just a couple of suggestions:
    1. I think a mode without pulsations, wishpers and compass, could be very fun... and very stealth. I'm trying to make it balanced and competitive. But developers can do a better work with this start point, I think.
    2. Pubblic laboratory should give choices, not only last mode added. And choices whould increase by time. Only modes you selected, of course. But this way you can also test which modes users like more, and eventually remove the undesirable ones.
    Thank you for the attention.

bye

Originally Posted by guidomista Go to original post
    Hi,
    just a couple of suggestions:
    1. I think a mode without pulsations, wishpers and compass, could be very fun... and very stealth. I'm trying to make it balanced and competitive. But developers can do a better work with this start point, I think.
    2. Pubblic laboratory should give choices, not only last mode added. And choices whould increase by time. Only modes you selected, of course. But this way you can also test which modes users like more, and eventually remove the undesirable ones.
    Thank you for the attention.

bye
    EDIT:
    1. I just found a very funny Wanted mode in laboratory, without whisphers and pulsations. As hunter, you have a compass... But you don't know which character is the target!! It's exactly what I was trying to do: something different! You have to reinvent your strategies and skills...
    Nice work!
    2. I made a mistake. Apparently, laboratory takes a random mode from a pool. It is a good think, cause you can leave if you don't like the mode and search for another.

So, thanks

bye

P.S. Until now in laboratory i only found individual modes. Are there AA, MH or DOM modes too?

unbelievabletr's Avatar Member
    What about, if u just bring simple deathmatch back? At least few of us, will be happy with this. But i guess, this will never happen. Gamelab is something only for that players, who have enough friends, so they can create new modes and try them out. But what about this kind of players, who doesn t have many friends? Doesn t matter, what we create, no one can try it out. Are we all forced now to get many friends, so we can play our gamelab games? Thats sad