🛈 Announcement
Greetings! Assassin's Creed forums are now archived and accessible in read-only mode, please go to the new platform to discuss the game.
    Ubi-Valentin's Avatar Community Manager

[How to?] Use & counter the Bodyguard

Many things have already been said about how to use and counter a bodyguard. Our Game Design Team made a little guide for you:

How to use the Bodyguard

• Used with an active lock, the bodyguard will move toward it and try to stun the locked character. In this case, only the duration represents a limit. Once passed, the bodyguard stops.

• Used with no lock, the bodyguard will check within its activation range to find a pursuer. If he does, he’ll move toward them to try to stun him. Else, the bodyguard will wait. Range and Duration both are a limitation here.

- A sound FX is played with the activation, as a warning for all players around.

- Bodyguards only walk most of the time, and start jogging only in the very last meters to reach the pursuer and insure the stun.

- Lookalikes around you or your opponent have more chances to become the Bodyguard.

How to counter a bodyguard:

Find an acrobatic position. This reveals you to other players, but you will be out of the bodyguard’s range.

Stay away from the bodyguard until it stops being active. Remember the bodyguard only walks while far from you. Keep a distance of at least 3-5 meters for a few seconds is enough.

Some counter abilities:
    • Bodyguard: if used to stun the opposing Bodyguard. Lock the bodyguard, and use your own bodyguard.
    • Firecrackers: Bodyguard is scared as any other NPC.
    • Money Bomb: Bodyguard is as greedy as any other NPC.
    • Morph: Bodyguard loses its skin and then, stops being a bodyguard.
    • Smoke Bomb: Bodyguard is stuck as any other NPC.
    • Tripwire Bomb: Bodyguard triggers it (if previously set).

Conditional counters: Bodyguard and Decoy. In some situations, the opposing bodyguard could become your own decoy or guard. Very conditional.

Abilities to earn time: Knives and Time Phase can be used to slow the Bodyguard, and then earn time.
     1 people found this helpful

You guys are cool =)

Talking about bodyguard, a wierd glitch happened to me yesterday. I got stunned by one, but i didn't lose a contract, so after i got up i was able to kill my target who chose not to run away.
    No idea why that happened, maybe bodyguard's duration was expiring or something, i have seen my bodyguard stun my pursuers a second after the cancellation sound.

Battle5Star's Avatar Member
    Big thx for the Game Design Team.
    I wish all the new players would start the "game"on this forum, we get so many useful information and help.

tdgor's Avatar Junior Member
    I'm the only person I know who uses Bodyguard deliberately to lock on to an NPC near my pursuer and "stun" the NPC to deceive my pursuer into attempting to kill the Bodyguard, leaving them vulnerable to my stun.

Works best in a stationary blend or morphed group.

kucingminummilo's Avatar Member
    Originally Posted by tdgor Go to original post
    I'm the only person I know who uses Bodyguard deliberately to lock on to an NPC near my pursuer and "stun" the NPC to deceive my pursuer into attempting to kill the Bodyguard, leaving them vulnerable to my stun.

Works best in a stationary blend or morphed group.
    OH MY GOD! I do that all the time too back in AC3! I love it so much. My main mode is manhunt. Whenever I do that in the beginning of the defense round, someone in the opposing team would shoot the bodyguard from a far, panics and climb up to avoid getting stunt (even though they are far away from where we were hiding). Me and my friend laugh our guts off every time that happens. Also, in vertical maps like Boston Harbor, where people would Aerial and Acro kill to avoid Contested Kill (which is a legitimate strategy), making Bodyguard kill an NPC would instantly make all of them flies down like flies to a pile of dung. On time, when we were in a moving blend group in that long narrow road between two tall building in Boston Harbor (and there were a lot of NPCs walking around), I made my Bodyguard stunt an NPC and what do you know, 3 of the pursuers came flying down on that same NPC. Lure and slap all around. It was hysterical.

If I have a dvr I would record all these moments and make a Bodyguard compilation video. It would be kick ****! Sadly I don't own one...

Originally Posted by tdgor Go to original post
    i'm the only person i know who uses bodyguard deliberately to lock on to an npc near my pursuer and "stun" the npc to deceive my pursuer into attempting to kill the bodyguard, leaving them vulnerable to my stun. .
    #genius

Even better is on a game mode like Wanted or Deathmatch, when you have 2 pursuers after you. The bodyguard gets one, and the second pursuer kills the bodyguard, leaving you to stun the second.

A good way of getting a Challenge achievement is to hit your pursuer with knives first, so they can't run away.

Where-am-I-again's Avatar Member
    Originally Posted by MattAllatt Go to original post
    A good way of getting a Challenge achievement is to hit your pursuer with knives first, so they can't run away.
    Nice touch. Gets even better if the target kills the BG and gives you a focus stun, being slowed by knives ^^

Edit: Forgot to mention my original thought about BG: I have horrible luck with BG spawns, every time (okay, not every time, 9/10 times) someone uses BG on me it spawns RIGHT next to me and there's nothing I can do about getting stunned. When I on the other hand use BG, it tends to spawn either very far away or behind me, or both, leaving me vulnerable. I wouldn't even use the whole ability if not for the challenge, after it's done it'll be cast away and forgotten. I feel like it would be a major improvement if the game just took the closest NPC to the player using the ability and converted that to a bodyguard, instead of a seemingly random NPC in the ability area.

Also, a tip: if you intend to do the "lock a pursuer and stun them with bodyguard" -challenge, craft your BG to +2 duration and possibly bonus on cooldown, range is irrelevant because you have to lock the pursuer anyway.

Kirokill's Avatar Senior Member
    First time I used of this was in the event and then in Manhunt, and my goodness. This ability is such a lure magnet!
    Countering it, gotta love money throwing, it helped me score 10k AND find my pursuers to stun.

Your bodyguard does not work on offense in black flag multiplayer, it simply says you don'r have a target and does not activate the body guard to go stun the defensive body guard at all. Whoever wrote "
    • Bodyguard: if used to stun the opposing Bodyguard. Lock the bodyguard, and use your own bodyguard.

Is wrong I tried it myself yesterday without success. As far as I can tell bodyguard only works on defense.