🛈 Announcement
Greetings! The Rocksmith forums are now archived and accessible in read-only mode, please go to the new platform to discuss the game
    fatherrock's Avatar Senior Member

Tips and Hints

This thread is for players that have found tricks, workarounds and such that make things smoother.
    This is mine.

Was having a problem with the small notes, the fix - drop the resolution (it is in the option menu)...notes get bigger and it really doesn't detract
    from the game visually.

That's my tip...got more...post them here.

oh and if you feel the urge to post " blah blah blah buy bandfuse blah blah.......don't bother.
    that is not a rocksmith 2014 tip...it is a sales pitch and this is not the place.

C.Linton's Avatar Senior Member
    One thing first I might recommend. It might help to indicate which platform each individual poster is offering the tip for. Granted most tips should work for all platforms, but we have to take into consideration that a tip which involves using certain button presses or keys (in the case of the PC) may vary from platform to platform.
    For example -
    (PS3) If you want to fast scroll through a list, use the left joystick.
    (PS3) When sorting thru the types of lists (by Artist, by Title, etc.) normally you select them one at a time by using the R1 button, instead HOLD DOWN the R1 button, a list of all of the types of lists will pop up where you can select whichever list you want directly, instead of having to cycle thru the list one by one.
    Like that.

ProzacTheClown's Avatar Member
    Never underestimate the value of a good pick.

Pick thickness plays a big factor in the sound of the guitar. A thin pick tends to sound brighter with more treble while a thicker pick will have a warmer sound with more bass.

A thick pointed pick is great for single note and lead stuff while a thin pick with a rounded tip makes strumming chords easier.

String age and gauge is important as well. You want to always keep a couple sets of strings on hand for when you break one and for the best tone you will want to change them often. Your hand will gunk up or even rust the strings and make them sound dull.

Your guitar likely comes standard with 10s. If you need to you could probably use 9s without any real issue and it may be a bit easier on your fingers.

The tuner does not tell you the octave you are in. Strings should be pretty loose for the most part so if they feel tight. STOP. Back it off some and make sure you are not moving toward the wrong octave. Also if the strings are a bit floppy you are probably an octave too low.

Relax. You will hurt yourself if you are too tense.

You will be frustrated. Often. It is a part of the learning process. If something is too hard walk away. Come back later once your brain has had a chance to process stuff. It will be easier on you.

Remember this isn't a race. You don't have to be a guitar god in a couple months. Just take it easy and learn at your own pace. NEVER make learning the guitar a chore.

Most at importantly don't rely on rocksmith to teach you guitar by itself. Find outside lessons, books, videos, and tabs or music. You have to work on this on your own as well if you really want to succeed quickly.

hokus4000's Avatar Junior Member
    Now we are talking about picks, - get one of these.

Every plastic, wood finer, aso, - garbage - will start to look as potential pick-material

C.Linton's Avatar Senior Member
    I'm gonna post these as I think of them ...
    For those new players who may have gotten an "Active" instrument (requiring a battery)
    Remember this - Always unplug your cord from the instrument's output jack after playing, do NOT leave it plugged in. Plugging the cord in is what turns the pre-amp in an active instrument on, if you leave the cord plugged in , you will drain the battery and will have to change it quite a lot. If you're careful and unplug the cord everytime, your batteries can last a long time, anywhere from 6 months to a year.

You could try a starter pack of V-picks. My favorite is a screamer after it has worn down a little. For me it seems to be great for combination picking and strumming. That's my go to pick - at least for now.

Also, drink plenty of water to stay hydrated. It is beneficial in so many ways! Stretch, relax, warm-up.

Black_Widow9's Avatar Community Representative
    I'm going to add this to the following Stickies for reference.
    http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php...es-Workarounds
    http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/785634

Everyone probably knows this tip, but try using inverted view when playing the game. Inverted view matches the layout of standard tablature.

My second tip (obviously for beginners) is to get try to figure out what the time signature is before jumping into the song. By knowing exactly where the beat is in each measure, it is much easier to play the notes at the correct time. This skill is also crucial for playing the song outside of the game. If one is unfamiliar with concept of time signatures such as 4/4, 3/4, and 6/8 time there are plenty of cheap apps for smartphones that help with rhythm training.

My 3rd tip is to learn the chords before playing the song too much. Practicing the chord progressions before jumping into the song (especially for rhythm sections) will make the song much easier to learn. Knowing the chords also helps with lead guitar playing because lead playing is defined by the chords in the background.

For pc, the page up and page down buttons scroll up and down the list faster than using arrow keys if you have a big song list

fatherrock's Avatar Senior Member
    How to tune in quick

soft quick repeatitive picking of each string will get it to lock in quicker

Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last ►►