1. #1

    Peoples opinions on what it is to be the "hero" of Assassins Creed

    I'll get straight to the point. I miss the times when the protagonist was first and foremost an 'Assassin' above all else. Whenever I try to decide what my favourite game in the series is I always come back to AC1, because something about it felt most like an Assassins game. I respect that the overarching story has evolved in to something much more than Assassins vs Templar's, and maybe AC1 was only intended to be an introduction to the order. But after 6 years, I think it's time again we get an Assassin that's focused entirely on being an Assassin. In many ways the titles that proceeded AC1 are better, but at the same time have been missing a certain something when compared.

    What do you think, is it time again we got an outright Assassin, or are you happy with the current direction where the Hero's are more invested in other things?
    Share this post

  2. #2
    Assassin_M's Avatar AC Expert
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    24,108
    Originally Posted by MIA SILENT Go to original post
    I'll get straight to the point. I miss the times when the protagonist was first and foremost an 'Assassin' above all else. Whenever I try to decide what my favourite game in the series is I always come back to AC1, because something about it felt most like an Assassins game. I respect that the overarching story has evolved in to something much more than Assassins vs Templar's, and maybe AC1 was only intended to be an introduction to the order. But after 6 years, I think it's time again we get an Assassin that's focused entirely on being an Assassin. In many ways the titles that proceeded AC1 are better, but at the same time have been missing a certain something when compared.

    What do you think, is it time again we got an outright Assassin, or are you happy with the current direction where the Hero's are more invested in other things?
    Tell me what's the difference between Edward and Altair...now there's more to do, mate...that's just it...now we have MORE to do as an Assassin than AC I ever had.

    We have Assassination contracts, Templar dens and Templar hunts and before that, we'v had Liberation missions and Templar Agents. It's sad that people NEED to hear "nothing is true, everything is permitted" every minute and see the Assassin insignia plastered everywhere to actually feel like an Assassin. If you want a repeating experience that never ends, be my guest...keep playing AC I over and over again till your heart's content. fact is, the Assassin order became a secret organization. its members aren't just Assassins anymore...it can't work anymore. There are Assassins who are bankers, technicians, tacticians, traders, land owners, nobles, merchants, privateers, hunters..etc
    Share this post

  3. #3
    Originally Posted by Assassin_M Go to original post
    Tell me what's the difference between Edward and Altair...now there's more to do, mate...that's just it...now we have MORE to do as an Assassin than AC I ever had.

    We have Assassination contracts, Templar dens and Templar hunts and before that, we'v had Liberation missions and Templar Agents. It's sad that people NEED to hear "nothing is true, everything is permitted" every minute and see the Assassin insignia plastered everywhere to actually feel like an Assassin. If you want a repeating experience that never ends, be my guest...keep playing AC I over and over again till your heart's content. fact is, the Assassin order became a secret organization. its members aren't just Assassins anymore...it can't work anymore. There are Assassins who are bankers, technicians, tacticians, traders, land owners, nobles, merchants, privateers, hunters..etc
    If this is the opinion of the people I guess I would have to play AC1 over and over again. Playing the Assassination contracts as Edward was all well and good, but they had no context. I could interact with those missions before even meeting an Assassin, let alone being inducted as one. What I'm saying is I'd like there to be another game where I play someone dedicated to the order again. Something I loved about AC1.
    Share this post

  4. #4
    Originally Posted by Assassin_M Go to original post
    fact is, the Assassin order became a secret organization. its members aren't just Assassins anymore...it can't work anymore. There are Assassins who are bankers, technicians, tacticians, traders, land owners, nobles, merchants, privateers, hunters..etc
    This I can understand. I'm sure they could find a way around it though.
    Share this post

  5. #5
    problem was the first game it was to simple. It was to clear cut a black and white set up you could say. Good (assassin) Vs Bad (Templars) The only complaints I had was with AC 2 and Brotherhood at least the Templars kind of lost that moral ambiguity that they had in first two games. First he simply wanted to control god then his son simply wanted to take over and become king of Italy. Not much of the "we might seem to be acting like *** holes but in the end we will fix all humanities woes" like first game had.

    Revelations wasn't much better but they fixed it a lot with AC3 and even Black Flag.


    Assassin's are more then just Assassin's though they are people and they can't be full time. If they did they would never be able to blend in. And even then they will not all be like Altiar was. I haven't completed Black Flag yet but Edward is a very human person. And so was Conor though Conor was a little to innocent to the way the world works.
    Share this post

  6. #6
    Assassin_M's Avatar AC Expert
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    24,108
    Originally Posted by MIA SILENT Go to original post
    If this is the opinion of the people I guess I would have to play AC1 over and over again. Playing the Assassination contracts as Edward was all well and good, but they had no context. I could interact with those missions before even meeting an Assassin, let alone being inducted as one. What I'm saying is I'd like there to be another game where I play someone dedicated to the order again. Something I loved about AC1.
    It's not the people's opinion. I'm only speaking for myself and the Assassination contracts` context could be explained.

    Spoilers for sequence 1 of AC IV
    Spoiler:  Show
    After Edward kills Duncan, he finds some things on his corpse...it wouldn't be too far fetched to think that he found a map detailing the pigeon coops around the cities and as always, his curiosity leads him to once again get involved with Assassin work. not to mention that later, James Kidd introduces Edward to the coops


    ALL the Assassins were dedicated to the order...only Edward and Ezio so far only became entirely dedicated to the order in the final bits of their respective first games.
    Share this post

  7. #7
    Assassin_M's Avatar AC Expert
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    24,108
    Originally Posted by MIA SILENT Go to original post
    This I can understand. I'm sure they could find a way around it though.
    True, they can and they have...Revelations and Brotherhood gave the Assassins a more gangesque presence reminiscent of AC I, which i found to be appalling, really since Altair dedicated some of his codex to talking about abandoning Masyaf and the public presence of their order, because all of this seemed like a "symbol of arrogance"
    Share this post

  8. #8
    Originally Posted by Assassin_M Go to original post
    It's not the people's opinion. I'm only speaking for myself and the Assassination contracts` context could be explained.

    Spoilers for sequence 1 of AC IV
    Spoiler:  Show
    After Edward kills Duncan, he finds some things on his corpse...it wouldn't be too far fetched to think that he found a map detailing the pigeon coops around the cities and as always, his curiosity leads him to once again get involved with Assassin work. not to mention that later, James Kidd introduces Edward to the coops


    ALL the Assassins were dedicated to the order...only Edward and Ezio so far only became entirely dedicated to the order in the final bits of their respective first games.
    I'd like a game where we don't have to come up with our own assumptions to give context to something. AC1 was clear-cut, you're an Assassin and this is your duty. Would be nice to experience that again. I keep thinking a Japanese setting would be perfect for this.
    Share this post

  9. #9
    Assassin_M's Avatar AC Expert
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    24,108
    Originally Posted by MIA SILENT Go to original post
    I'd like a game where we don't have to come up with our own assumptions to give context to something. AC1 was clear-cut, you're an Assassin and this is your duty. Would be nice to experience that again. I keep thinking a Japanese setting would be perfect for this.
    And why not? Why does EVERYTHING have to be clear cut? subtlety may be one of the most difficult concepts to hone, not just in story writing, but also in elements such as this one. elements exclusive to video games. it's not hard, but it’s difficult to realize we NEED to do it. We see the details in our minds, and we feel every one of them is important. First drafts are usually detail overload. Full of adverbs and dialogue tags. Whole sentences, paragraphs, pages that need to be cut. Getting it all out is natural to free the story from our minds. We can only begin to clear away the clutter once it’s all out on the screen.

    'Subtlety is the mark of confidence… A writer who is confident need not prove anything, need not try to grab attention with spates of stylism or hyperbole or melodrama… He will often leave things unsaid, may even employ a bit of confusion, and often allow you to come to your own conclusions.' - Chapter 15 of The First Five Pages: A Writer’s Guide To Staying Out of the Rejection Pile by Noah Lukeman.

    Lukeman goes on to say that books written by unsubtle writers leave you with a short-lasting fix. Once finished, you haven’t been fully satisfied. You’ll forget the book and move on to something better. It won’t leave an impression. When creating a story for a video game, the BEST concept to after is offer something to the player. you can either create a strong context with most details and leave some lines for the player to fill or you can create a bare line and let the player fill everything, the earlier is the most concept by video game writers..it gives the player sense and imagination. more involvement. more interactivity.
    Share this post

  10. #10
    Legendz54's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Under your bed
    Posts
    2,673
    This will only happen IF they decide to go back in time when the Assassins were an actual order before the 13th century.
    Share this post