🛈 Announcement
Greetings! Assassin's Creed forums are now archived and accessible in read-only mode, please go to the new platform to discuss the game.
    Ubi-Valentin's Avatar Community Manager

[What's new?] #1 : Abilities

Hello pirates!
    Now that the game is out and many of you had some time to play it, let's talk about what's changed since AC3, and why. The Game Design Team worked very hard to give you the best possible gaming experience, and wants to share with you the reasons that lead them to create the game you have today in your hands.

I hope you will enjoy the reading, and we will be waiting for your questions.
    Ubi-Valentin

Crafting
    Crafting is a way to customize every ability by modifying and tweaking the 3 parameters of each ability to make it suit your strategy.
    By leveling up (Crafting becomes available in the first prestige loop), you will unlock the capacity to customize each one of your abilities. Crafting abilities requires Abstergo Credits or Erudito credits.

Updates
    • The crafting feature is now available only once you reach level 50. Why? We noticed that many of you didn’t use the crafting feature before reaching the prestige levels, mostly because there were so many other things to buy before.
    • Crafting is now cheaper! The cost of crafting has been reduced from 800 Abstergo Points to 599.
    • The cooldown crafting has been rebalanced: from now on you’ll be able to reduce your ability’s cooldown by 5 to 10% of its default duration, depending on how many points you’re willing to spend. Why? The cooldown crafting was overpowered compared to the other crafting options. On AC4, we wanted to make the crafting more balanced and to offer more valid choices to players.
    • Every time you use the crafting feature, you will have a chance to be rewarded with a random bonus. One of your ability’s parameters will be enhanced by one point. Bonus points will not affect maximized parameters.

New Ability : Booby Trap
    Trap a nearby Chase breaker to make it explode the next time an opponent uses it.

Why we created it:
    We loved the intention behind the Closure ability. It’s basically a call to play with chasebreakers.
    The idea with Booby trap was to create a good alternative to Closure. Booby traps are less conditional, less timed, easier to read and more efficient.
    The conclusion was to base it on only one Chasebreaker, with only one possible state (trapped or not trapped), and to make it lethal.
    We hope the ability will be handy and fun to play with. It should change the dynamic of the game slightly, making players a little more cautious with chasebreakers while bringing an interesting twist to team modes particularly.

Parameters:
    • Can be placed on any Chasebreakers (doors, lifts, platforms or corner helpers), and only on them
    • Though small and rather difficult to notice, Booby traps are visible to all players in the form of a small white box and twitching Animus effect, with the trapper also having an icon on top of the booby trap they placed.
    • Booby Traps are triggered only when the chasebreakers are triggered. If players don’t run, the chasebreakers and the traps won’t be triggered.
    • Booby Traps can be countered by Animus Shield.
    • The Arming Time can be crafted to 8 / 6.5 / 5 seconds.
    • The distance from which the ability is visible can be crafted to 12 / 10 / 8 meters.
    • The Cooldown can be crafted to 100 / 95 / 90 seconds.

New ability : Time Phase
    Throw a Time Phase to slow anyone it catches and prevent Opponents from getting feedback through it.

Why we created it:
    With the updates done on the Smoke Bomb, we were feeling the game was missing a strong tool to evade a pursuer or trap a target.
    Time Phase is the perfect and gentle smart answer to this.

Parameters:
    • Almost instant to deploy
    • Slow down anyone within its range to 30% of their speed. Does not prevent from climbing or jumping.
    • Disturb the view, hide all 3D Feedbacks and HUD for anyone present in its range and breaks any active lock in 3 seconds.
    • Effect ends as soon as out of its range, and can be countered with Animus Shield.
    • The Range can be crafted to 6 / 7.5 / 9 meters.
    • The Duration can be crafted to 4 / 6 / 8 seconds.
    • The Cooldown can be crafted to 72 / 68.4 / 64.8 seconds.

Closure

• This ability has been removed from the game.
    Why? This ability relies on chase breakers, it is very conditional and requires a good timing to be efficient. This explains why Closure was not as popular as we expected it to be in Assassin’s Creed 3. For these reasons, we decided to remove the Closure from the game, replacing it with the Booby Trap.

Smoke Bomb
    Throw a Smoke Bomb to confuse civilians and opponents alike.

Updates
    • Delay is now higher than ever – 1.5 seconds (used to be 0.65 seconds)
    • Duration has been reduced to 2.8 / 3.0 / 3.2 seconds (from 3.0 / 3.4 / 3.8 seconds).
    • Range has been decreased to 3 / 3.25 / 3.5 meters (from 3.2 / 3.4 / 3.6 meters).
    • Cooldown has been increased to 105 / 99.75 / 94.5 seconds (from 100 / 90 / 80 seconds).
    • A visual and audio warning is now triggered every time a smoke bomb is released, before it explodes.

Why? We decided to make the use of smoke bombs more challenging and strategic. The smoke bomb is still a powerful weapon, but now requires more skills as well as a good sense of timing.

Disguise
    Temporarily change your appearance to surprise your opponents.

Updates
    • Just as the Smoke Bomb, the Disguise ability has been modified to be more challenging in AC IV, and more balanced.
    • Duration has been reduced to 12 / 16 / 20 seconds (from 15 / 17.5 / 20 seconds).
    • Cooldown has been updated to 60 / 57 / 54 seconds (from 60 / 55 / 50 seconds).
    • You will be exposed for longer when using this ability – the animation triggered on using Disguise will last longer. Exposure time has been increased to 1.5 / 1.0 / 0.5 seconds (from 1.0 / 0.6 / 0.3 Seconds).
    • If you try to craft the exposure, it will affect its intensity, not its duration.

Money Bomb
    Throw a money bomb to attract civilians around.

Updates
    • Attracted civilians will now try to create a “human wall” around any opponent who will be detected within the range of the Ability.
    • Attracted civilians are now considered as strong obstacles, so if you try to get through it, you will fall down instantly!
    • Cooldown has been reduced to 46 / 43.7 / 41.4 seconds (from 60 / 55 / 50 seconds).

Despite all the critics and jokes this ability may suffer, we love the Money Bomb. It’s one of the perfect abilities to begin with: simple to understand, simple to use, useful but not overpowered. We reworked the ability to make it stronger while keeping it simple.

Teleport
    Rapidly change your location on the map.

Updates
    • The impact of the crafting on the Casting Time has been reduced to 3.5 / 3.25 / 3.0 seconds (from 3.5 / 3.0 / 2.5 seconds). Why? It was over used and made teleport very hard to counter.
    • The Casting of the Teleport can now be interrupted by Wipe, Knives, Smoke Bomb and Disruption (in addition to any lethal action). Why? Once again, we did it to make interruptions less hard to perform.
    • The Cooldown has been reduced to 90 / 85.5 / 81 seconds (from 100 / 90 / 80 seconds).
    • Overall, we thought the use of Teleport combined with Smoke Bombs was a little overpowered. We adjusted this ability to reduce abuses, especially in Artefact Assault mode.

Tripwire Bomb
    Once armed, the tripwire bomb explodes when a target or a pursuer steps on it.

Updates
    • On AC3, cautious players could disarm tripwire bombs by walking carefully around it. This is no longer possible in AC4. If an opponent gets into the Bomb’s range, it will explode.
    • The Tripwire Bombs range has been increased to 2.0 / 2.25 / 2.5 meters (from 1.8 / 1.9 / 2.0 meters, AC3 Explosion radius).

Animus Shield
    Become immune to poison, bombs and ranged weapons. The number of abilities you can block depends on your number of charges.

Updates
    • The Duration has been increased to 4.5 / 6.0 / 7.5 seconds (from 4.5 / 5.5 / 6.5 seconds).
    • The Cooldown has been reduced to 74 / 70.3 / 66.6 seconds (from 100 / 90 / 80 seconds).
    • The effect of the Animus Shield is visible for all players while it is active.

Why? This ability wasn’t used as much as we thought it would on AC3. Players couldn’t see clearly the effect of the shield. The ability is now easier for everyone to see. We improved some of its parameters to balance this effect.

Bodyguard
    Create a lookalike who will protect you from your pursuers.

Updates
    • A lot of minor tweaks have been done to the Bodyguard to make it more efficient.
    • Now rewards +100 points when performing a Stun on a pursuer.
    • The Range of the ability (in which a Bodyguard looks for pursuers, when used with no lock) has been increased to 7.5 / 10 / 12.5 meters (from 5 / 7.5 / 10 meters).
    • The Cooldown has been updated to 68 / 64.6 / 61.2 seconds (from 70 / 65 / 60 seconds).

Decoy
    Create a lookalike to fool your opponents.

Updates
    • We reworked the ways you could craft this ability. The “behavior” parameter was not very popular, so we got rid of it. Instead, you can now craft the number of points received when another player kills the Decoy.
    • Points rewarded when a Decoy is killed by an opponent can be crafted to 100 / 200 / 300 points.
    • Decoy takes advantages of some of the tweaks we did on Bodyguard (reaction) and on Disguise (FX visibility).
    • The Cooldown has been updated to 56 / 53.2 / 50.4 seconds (from 60 / 55 / 50 seconds).

Glimmer
    Become almost invisible in order to hide from other players and surprise them. The slower you move, the more invisible you get.

Updates
    • Glimmer benefits the same updates we did on Disguise (FX visibility for intro/outro).
    • New Glimmer FX that does not depend on map or weather.
    • FX visibility has been slightly reduced when moving, from opponents’ point of view. Why? There was a bug that made the Glimmer more or less visible, depending on the map or weather. We reworked the Glimmer FX to have it more efficient in all maps, all situations.
    • The Cooldown has been reduced to 70 / 66.5 / 63 seconds (from 80 / 70 / 60 seconds).

Poison
    Dispense a stealthy dose of poison that will slowly kill your target.

Updates:
    • The Cooldown has been updated to 94 / 89.3 / 84.6 seconds (from 100 / 90 / 80 seconds).

Morph
    Transform civilians from the crowd into your lookalikes.

Updates:
    • The Cooldown has been updated to 65 / 61.75 / 58.5 seconds (from 70 / 65 / 55 seconds).

Wipe
    Reveal all players in the ability radius, prevent them from using their abilities and silence their whispers or heartbeats.

Updates:
    • The Cooldown has been increased to 76 / 72.2 / 68.4 seconds (from 70 / 65 / 55 seconds).

Firecrackers
    Scare the crowd, blind other players and reveal their presence.

Updates:
    • The Cooldown has been increased to 82 / 77.9 / 73.8 seconds (from 80/70/60 seconds).

======
    And here's an update:
    ======

You have sent us lots of messages basically saying that some of the AC3 abilities were just fine as they were, and didn't need the changes we made.
    Here are more details I got from the Team, to try and explain the choices made:

Smoke Bomb

A few numbers might help you to see why we reworked this ability:
    - In AC3, the Smoke Bomb cumulated 40% of all ability uses (60% spread out the other 13 abilities).
    - The second “most used” ability represented 12% of ability uses. All other abilities were between 1.5% and 8% of the uses.

This proves how Smoke Bomb was overpowered compared to other abilities. Of course players got used to it and were able to play with and against it, but we can’t say the ability was balanced.
    We wanted to open the game to more viable strategies. That’s why we reworked the ability this way.

Teleport

We saw how Teleport is amazing once in the hands of very good players (Teleport stuns, teleport kills, teleport covers…), and we made sure to keep it at this level.
    But Teleport was the main base of all AA strategies and we wanted to open this mode (and others) to a larger variety of viable strategies.

Teleport is still extremely useful in a lot of situations (to carry, to kill, to flee…) and we only reduced the impact of the crafting. The fundamentals aspects of the ability are untouched. We think it doesn’t break the AA strategy and that it just gives other abilities a chance.

Shield

- Some of you said that the Shield was already very often used in AC3. The truth is, the Shield ability only represented 1.5% of all uses until level 49 and less than 5% for levels 50. We know that most of competitive players are among these 5%. But we can’t say it’s used a lot.

- Also, we faced a lot of understanding issues on AC3: “why didn't my pistol work?”, “this guys just killed me through the smoke!”…
    Our intention was to make the Shield crystal clear to let less-experienced players understand and use it as well. We changed the FX for this reason, but we compensate it with a smaller cooldown and a longer duration.

AC4 favors Defense instead of Attack

- Regarding the attack, we only reduced the impact of crafted Teleport and Instant Smokes. To balance this, attackers now have access to Time Phase, Booby Trap, improved Glimmer, faster shields, stronger Bodyguard, Sabotage and improved Disruption.

- Regarding the defense, the presence of Booby Trap, the removal of the Chase and the defensive Sixth sense clearly made it stronger. But Knives now have longer cooldown and reduced effect, picking Sixth Sense blocks one perk slot (Resistance, Chase Expert, Unstoppable, Overall CD…) and attack now have access to more tools.

As developers, we tried to make the Attack-Defense balance as fair as possible. We will watch how the new system works out, we will listen to your feedbacks, and of course if the game doesn't prove to be balanced enough, we will try our best to make the necessary changes.

I hope this will help

Teleport shouldn't have been adjusted its being practically useless. Smoke teleport is the easiest thing to counter if you don't believe me play one competitive game and rely on that combo it will be countered every time. Smoke I think you guys did what you wanted because I remember you devs asking us if we wanted smoke to be changed the results were no. The comment most made was an ACB delay which was reasonable but you didn't take our suggestions you made a ******edly long delay that in AA atleast makes it useless. I feel as though your changes will bring an end to AA being fun there's no fun in 0-0 games. How can inexperienced players get better at the game if you're going to pacify them.

Here's what the community said......did you listen?
    http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php...e-Bomb-Changes

Why? We decided to make the use of smoke bombs more challenging and strategic.

To make the use of something challenging and strategic the logic would follow that you guys would have had to play in a challenging and strategic way to begin with to understand the in's and out's of your own game. Unless playing with inexperienced players all day is to be consider challenging and strategic? As far as I saw no devs on either ps3 or xbox were playing competitively or even remotely interested in how their multi's competitive community functioned.

The mode I played competitively the most has been artifact assault and it seems like most of the tactics or strategies thieves used for that mode have now been eliminated or nerfed. Thieves will still be facing four knives to their one shield, and at this point they'll be fighting against far more working against them than any other game brought to the table. i.e. offensive 6th sense, your games terrible freeze framing, unstoppable, smoke being very avoidable for defenders, boost cooldowns being nerfed, the basic mechanics of the game that make it hard to freerun, like force pull.

I know if I continue to force myself to play this game things will continue on, this game will be made playable somehow and yes, we'll see more 0-0 games or 1-2 games, which isn't fun. It's not fun dying for 10minutes straight to have one success, its not fun being an ability sponge, and it's not fun supporting a company that completely ignores the viewpoints and opinions of it's competitive player base.

I'm commenting into a void where my opinions won't be heard or headed in any way shape or form, but its heart breaking to see a game so many of my friends and myself have invested in being turned unplayable or not enjoyable from a competitive standpoint. And honestly any game company should be ashamed of those freeze frames from day one out, very professional.

Now i'm going to be looking at these abilities from the perspective of a competitive artifact assault defender.

From what I've seen, defense has been buffed (removal of chases, sixth sense buff) and offense debuffed (smoke bomb, teleport). Already in AC3 defense was stronger than offense, primarily because everybody on the team had knives and whilst this was needed from the transition from ACR > AC3 (ACR offense OP) I think that from the transition from AC3 > AC4 defense needed a minor debuff to make it balanced.

Booby Trap - whilst I think this is a useful tool for defense I think it is much more useful for offense. Considering the runner controls where the defenders run to, rather than the defenders controlling where the runners go to. Yes this can be countered by animus shield but the chances of them not having activated shield are greater. Great ability.

Time Phase - awesome ability as a nearly replaceable ability to smoke bomb, great work.

Closure - only really useful in AA and as most people brought unstoppable to AA this single ability was completely countered by a perk, this is why nobody used closure.

Smoke bomb - balanced in ACB and AC3, OP in ACR and looks underpowered in AC4, bring it back to AC3 smoke.

Money bomb - desperately needed this buff, I hope the "human wall" actually works.

Teleport - OP in ACR, balanced in AC3, looks underpowered in AC4.

Firecrackers - as I've always said bring it back to ACB firecrackers, people need an alternative to smoke bomb, it isn't powerful enough for people to use it.

I agree that smoke + teleport is easy enough to counter, it was pretty hard to counter it in ACR, but with shield, wipe and knives in AC3, a debuff in smoke and teleport is not necessary.

While I do understand that you are trying to cater for all the game modes, not just artifact assault, there is without a doubt that artifact assault is the most competitive game mode currently in the AC community. While there have been ALOT of changes that the community have wanted that have been implemented, which we do appreciate, this is just some constructive criticism.

Whilst my suspicions is that you made these changes for the non-competitive community, the competitive community is much stronger and will play the game in the long-term. People who complain that AC3 smoke is OP are people who just play the game for 2 months and then move onto another game (i think). The competitive community will always be here to play your game, run tournaments and provide constructive criticism, so perhaps maybe listen to people who have played the game for a while.

Anykeyer's Avatar Senior Member
    RANDOM bonus on crafting? Cmon, you cant be serious...

The Casting of the Teleport can now be interrupted by Wipe, Knives, Smoke Bomb and Disruption
    Dont remember about disruption but other options already worked in AC3. In fact one of the challenges required you to stop teleport with wipe.

On AC3, cautious players could disarm tripwire bombs by walking carefully around it. This is no longer possible in AC4. If an opponent gets into the Bomb’s range, it will explode
    But why? What other options do you propose if target stays far from any roofs? Shoot it? Old TW mechanic rewarded cautios players, there was no need to remove this.
    The Tripwire Bombs range has been increased to 2.0 / 2.25 / 2.5 meters (from 1.8 / 1.9 / 2.0 meters, AC3 Explosion radius).
    Still not as good as smoke bomb.

I like other changes, especially smoke bomb. And finally cooldown reduction crafting values make sense.

Originally Posted by Ubi-Valentin Go to original post
    Smoke Bomb
    Throw a Smoke Bomb to confuse civilians and opponents alike.

Updates
    • Delay is now higher than ever – 1.5 seconds (used to be 0.65 seconds)
    • Duration has been reduced to 2.8 / 3.0 / 3.2 seconds (from 3.0 / 3.4 / 3.8 seconds).
    • Range has been decreased to 3 / 3.25 / 3.5 meters (from 3.2 / 3.4 / 3.6 meters).
    • Cooldown has been increased to 105 / 99.75 / 94.5 seconds (from 100 / 90 / 80 seconds).
    • A visual and audio warning is now triggered every time a smoke bomb is released, before it explodes.

Why? We decided to make the use of smoke bombs more challenging and strategic. The smoke bomb is still a powerful weapon, but now requires more skills as well as a good sense of timing.

Smoke bomb was fine the way it was in AC3 and could easily be countered by Animus Shield. As an Artifact Assault player, saying that it requires "more skills" and a "good sense of timing" doesn't matter if you're being rushed by 3 pursers in different directions and the delay in the smoke bomb will easily get you killed. And could you please explain if you were going to add a delay, why would you make the cooldown longer? Also not to mention that when you did take the poll, the majority of the community said to leave it the way it is

Teleport
    Rapidly change your location on the map.

Updates
    • The impact of the crafting on the Casting Time has been reduced to 3.5 / 3.25 / 3.0 seconds (from 3.5 / 3.0 / 2.5 seconds). Why? It was over used and made teleport very hard to counter.
    • The Casting of the Teleport can now be interrupted by Wipe, Knives, Smoke Bomb and Disruption (in addition to any lethal action). Why? Once again, we did it to make interruptions less hard to perform.
    • The Cooldown has been reduced to 90 / 85.5 / 81 seconds (from 100 / 90 / 80 seconds).
    • Overall, we thought the use of Teleport combined with Smoke Bombs was a little overpowered. We adjusted this ability to reduce abuses, especially in Artefact Assault mode.
    Teleport is "over used" because it's a reliable ability to turn to in Artifact Assault and can easily be countered with Knives, Smoke Bomb and Wipe. Not being able to Teleport away after being knifed is complete nonsense and leaves the carrier completely useless and it's a guaranteed death. Saying that Smoke Bomb and Teleport is overpowered is also complete nonsense because that as well can easily be countered with Knives, Smoke Bomb and Wipe. Yes inexperienced players might find it unfair but if they really wanted to get better at the game they can look up guides or videos online. Also that 0.5 second activation time really makes a difference and don't know why it was changed to begin with. I personally find that it is not an excuse to just shrug it off and say it was over used and very hard to counter.

Animus Shield
    Why? This ability wasn’t used as much as we thought it would on AC3. Players couldn’t see clearly the effect of the shield. The ability is now easier for everyone to see. We improved some of its parameters to balance this effect.
    I really want to understand why you said that this ability wasn't used as much as you thought it would on AC3. Obviously you have not played competitively in Artifact Assault and Manhunt. It's the go to ability to counter EVERYTHING.

Anykeyer's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by KitCatPattiwak Go to original post

Smoke bomb was fine the way it was in AC3 and could easily be countered by Animus Shield. As an Artifact Assault player, saying that it requires "more skills" and a "good sense of timing" doesn't matter if you're being rushed by 3 pursers in different directions and the delay in the smoke bomb will easily get you killed.

You arent supposed to be one-man army able to stop 3 players alone. Tell me what other ability does this and then complain about smoke bomb becoming too weak LOL.

Ubi-Valentin's Avatar Community Manager
    You have sent us lots of messages basically saying that some of the AC3 abilities were just fine as they were, and didn't need the changes we made.
    Here are more details I got from the Team, to try and explain the choices made:

Smoke Bomb

A few numbers might help you to see why we reworked this ability:
    - In AC3, the Smoke Bomb cumulated 40% of all ability uses (60% spread out the other 13 abilities).
    - The second “most used” ability represented 12% of ability uses. All other abilities were between 1.5% and 8% of the uses.

This proves how Smoke Bomb was overpowered compared to other abilities. Of course players got used to it and were able to play with and against it, but we can’t say the ability was balanced.
    We wanted to open the game to more viable strategies. That’s why we reworked the ability this way.

Teleport

We saw how Teleport is amazing once in the hands of very good players (Teleport stuns, teleport kills, teleport covers…), and we made sure to keep it at this level.
    But Teleport was the main base of all AA strategies and we wanted to open this mode (and others) to a larger variety of viable strategies.

Teleport is still extremely useful in a lot of situations (to carry, to kill, to flee…) and we only reduced the impact of the crafting. The fundamentals aspects of the ability are untouched. We think it doesn’t break the AA strategy and that it just gives other abilities a chance.

Shield

- Some of you said that the Shield was already very often used in AC3. The truth is, the Shield ability only represented 1.5% of all uses until level 49 and less than 5% for levels 50. We know that most of competitive players are among these 5%. But we can’t say it’s used a lot.

- Also, we faced a lot of understanding issues on AC3: “why didn't my pistol work?”, “this guys just killed me through the smoke!”…
    Our intention was to make the Shield crystal clear to let less-experienced players understand and use it as well. We changed the FX for this reason, but we compensate it with a smaller cooldown and a longer duration.

AC4 favors Defense instead of Attack

- Regarding the attack, we only reduced the impact of crafted Teleport and Instant Smokes. To balance this, attackers now have access to Time Phase, Booby Trap, improved Glimmer, faster shields, stronger Bodyguard, Sabotage and improved Disruption.

- Regarding the defense, the presence of Booby Trap, the removal of the Chase and the defensive Sixth sense clearly made it stronger. But Knives now have longer cooldown and reduced effect, picking Sixth Sense blocks one perk slot (Resistance, Chase Expert, Unstoppable, Overall CD…) and attack now have access to more tools.

As developers, we tried to make the Attack-Defense balance as fair as possible. We will watch how the new system works out, we will listen to your feedbacks, and of course if the game doesn't prove to be balanced enough, we will try our best to make the necessary changes.

I hope this will help

Smoke Bomb was OP. If you had included other hard stun abilities like Mute, Knives or Charge; it would be a good change. Nor is there any way to remove pursuers via a chase, because you took those out. So there's effectively zero ways now to hard stun and only pure luck or deception against n00bs to lose targets. This MP is the most unbalanced in terms of offense ever.

Here's my thing you did more to teleport than just the crafting most teleports occurred post being knifed, but it doesn't work. Teleport is primarily used to ecaped being stopped and being a lame duck target. If you can at least give us the ability to teleport post knifed we'd be fine.