EnlightenedOwl's Avatar Member

0 to 1500 in Ten Days- What I Learned and How You Can Do It Too!

As the thread title implies, this time eleven days ago I was unaware this game existed. I was very bored of the other games I play frequently and was browsing the internet for other games in genres I like and this one caught my eye so I figured I'd give it a try. Upon playing I was hooked INSTANTLY and I've spent the last ten days not sleeping nor eating anywhere near as much as I should be and outright obsessing with this game. I cleared 1000 elo within 24 hours of account creation and just a few minutes ago I managed to clear 1500. My account is currently level 46 to give you an idea of how much I've been playing... I'm by no mean an expert at this game but I have played similar games at an extremely high level such as repeatedly making money on the Magic The Gathering Pro Tour and playing in MLG for various gaming teams.

ANYHOW, the goal of this thread is to give a few basic pointers to players starting out and throw a few suggestions out there that will hopefully help you improve and boost your own elo score.

1. Your Deck and Your Play Skill Both Matter A Lot

Whether we like it or not we ARE limited by our decks, even if we play perfectly, and just like any game with many separate entities there will never be perfect balance or anything close to it. Some factions and heroes are just flat out better than the others. There is no way around that. All decks, even optimal versions of decks, are not equal and if you want to make a serious run for 1500+ you need to play something viable. I played Xorm for my first 30 levels or so and was consistently hanging in the high 1200 low 1300 range, which is fine, but I was never clearing 1350 ish and when I got paired against something like Ishuma or Ammar it wasn't hard to tell that I was simply outclassed.

Likewise, you don't want to blame your deck/luck/the OP card your opponent played or whatever other factor when you don't win. It will take quite some time for your deck to be truly optimal if you're not about to put real money into the game and in the mean time you need to focus on making the best of what you've got to work with and playing as well as you can. The way I see it if you make one single mistake in a game, which virtually all of us do almost every game, you lose your right for that game to claim you "deserve" to win. You only deserve to win if you're playing perfectly and there is stone cold nothing you could have done differently/better. Focus on playing for self-improvement as opposed to for crushing the ladder and by doing so you'll get better naturally and therefore climb elo.

2. Don't Play While Distracted/Overly Tired/Angry Etc

In a lot of games listening to loud music or watching TV while playing is totally fine but in my opinion this is definitely not one of them. At high levels of play there are a lot of subtleties that occur each game and one player taking advantage of them while the other player fails to do so, even just once or twice, often makes the difference between winning and losing. This game requires concentration and a clear head. Don't throw away elo and take away the fun of the game by playing in the wrong mental state.

3. Play With Different Factions and Heroes

While I do recommend players starting out choose one deck among competitively viable choices and devote all their resources to building it in its optimal form I cannot stress enough that one of the best ways to understand the game, its mechanics and how to beat specific factions/strategies is to play with them yourself. You'll get a feel of the points in the game where you feel vulnerable as opposed to the points where you feel firmly in control and you'll start recognizing board states and being able to figure out why your opponent made a play that they made, probably allowing you to figure out parts of their hand or Try out different factions, especially when you're in a relatively low elo bracket and have nothing to lose, and see how things go. It'll be one big learning experience and you may even find one that you really like.

4. Be Smart With Gold/Seals

If you're not putting real money into the game (and even if you are to a lesser extent) while gold is relatively easy to acquire in the game it's quite expensive to build an optimal deck. Don't blow Wild Cards on commons or uncommons. Focus on using them ONLY for the rares and epics you need for your deck. Likewise, don't ever use the Infernal Pit just to get the card unless its a card you absolutely NEED for the one deck you're focusing on building and even then you shouldn't sacrifice things you're not comfortable giving up or things you feel you may need down the line. NEVER take a shot in the Infernal Pit with any percentage other than 100%. Gambling like that is absolutely BEGGING for problems and eventually it'll bite you.

5, Use Other Peoples Knowledge

These forums have a lot of experienced players trying to help you out. Take advantage of them. They're using the cards and decks they're using for a reason. Ask them why they're making specific card choices if you don't understand. Likewise there are a lot of great guides and such out there that can be very helpful to a new player. I don't know if I'm allowed to post links or not so I'll play it safe and not do so but I'll tell you that I took advice from an excellent game FAQs guide that helped me IMMENSELY in my first couple of days. It also has several still-working redeem codes in it and who doesn't like free stuff?

As for more specific stuff such as what I personally used on my run and how I feel about the metagame... Again, keeping in mind that I'm not an expert and I've only been playing the game for ten days I'd tell you that Ishuma, Crag Hack and Cassandra stand out to me as likely the best decks but that's really hard to say. Inferno is really good in lower elo but they're likely the weakest clan overall for high level play. I used Inferno (I chose their starter deck) for my early run, then switched to Adar-Malik with whom I could maintain 1350~ but not go much further and finally ended no Crag Hack for my run from 1300~ to 1500. Regardless of your playstyle or your opinion of the metagame I can't emphasize enough that you need to play a viable deck in order to make a serious run.

Anyhow, now that I've hit 1500 I'll likely start playing tournaments and see how I do. Good luck and have fun to all DoC players out there and feel free to leave comments/questions/feedback and I'll answer them to the best of my ability.

Amazing job and well done. Honestly wouldn't expect anything less of a truly pro mtg player. I played mtg for years 4th 5th and 6th editions. Currently at 1300 level 36 been playing bout a month. Out to prove ignatius is a flexible teir 1 hero. Ignadar decks have made tier 1. I am SOLID currently at 1300 with my Punisher Ignatius deck and climbing. Unfortunetly with my job Ican usually swing 4 to 6 games a day only. Want a second archetype of ignatius to enter tier 1. So far most people mistake me for ignzdar as a failed rush but my punishement side of the deck throws them off balance and usually by the time a fiery rage cursee hits the board its too late. Even if they use burn or a soul reaver on there own creature. Its basically a huge tempo loss todo so.

Well done man Im a new player too, hope I can do it faster, im lvl 34 sitting around 1200 now :P.

Never understood how you guys manage to stick with one deck, especially for a long run like climbing from ~1200 to ~1500. I'm getting bored in a couple of days :P Especially the Crag deck, oh man, the epitome of boredom (not to say it's easy to play, it's not, it's just completely flavourless).

I didn't have that problem with MtG. Not that often at least.

Also how did you managed to play in a clear state of mind but also farm fast? If you play focused your ELO will most likely go up slowly but surely, but you're earning gold a lot slower so it means more time till you can buy those cards you miss. I know the decks you mentioned are relatively cheap, but still.

Thanks for posting this. By the way, could you tell more about this crag hack deck you are using? I have troubles with mine around 1200-1300elo.

Originally Posted by Dxxxxxxx Go to original post
    Thanks for posting this. By the way, could you tell more about this crag hack deck you are using? I have troubles with mine around 1200-1300elo.
    Absolutely! I hate to say it but I merely copied the exact list suggested by user WesleyCau from right here in the forums. I'd never played the deck before and legit picked it up just from wanting a change earlier this afternoon and 1300~ and found myself 1500+ about two hours later. His suggestions were spot on and I highly recommend reading his in depth and easy to understand guide, as I found it extremely helpful.

One card that I personally have not been especially pleased with, keeping in mind that I've only been playing the deck for less than 24 hours (granted, 50~ games or so in that time) is Blackskull Goblin. Other than that I like his suggested list a lot. Taking very aggressive mulligans is very important to the deck as you need a powerful start in order to control the tempo of the game and let your offensive oriented cards be at their most effective.

Earlier today I hit 1538, which puts me in top 20, though I continued playing and fell down a bit. Still rocking Crag Hack. Wanna see if I can manage 1550 or better.

Hi,

Thanks a lot for posting all this. I've been playing this game for a little more than a week now, and I'm nowhere close to achieve what you did.

Can you please be a little more specific about your 3rd point ? (Play With Different Factions and Heroes)

I've started with Inferno, and quickly got both Garant and Xorm. I'm currently playing in the 1k - 1.1k range, and it looks like I belong there with those 2 Heroes.
    I've bought a few Heroic Packs with Gold, and I also have Siegfried, Sandalphon and Jezziel as Haven Heroes.
    But as soon as I try and build a deck with any of them, I lose 95% of my matches.
    I can think of a lot of reasons for that : I don't know how to build a Haven deck, I don't have the right cards yet, I also don't know how to play that faction, I'm making several mistakes per turn, etc.
    But the thing is, I don't think I'm learning anything from all those losses... and so, I've switched back to Inferno to grind more.
    I can understand the "play the Haven faction to learn about the Haven faction", but it just doesn't seem to work for me.

Any advice ?

In my opinion you can choose as a beginner to build i powerfull deck and get completly use to it in oder to archive as fast as possible xxxx elo or just try many diffrent heros and fractions and have fun. I'm lvl 73 and never reached 1500 yet...a few times i was close (i think best was 148x) by just playing random duels. But never aim't to cross this border. I just have much more fun doing archivments, testing new decks and stragegies (even if they are not facerollers and just funny). I cant do more than 40 matches with the same deck in order to not getting bored. Keep in mind that games are there to entertain you and perhaps not for everyone crossing 1500+ elo is entertaining.

By the way..with one week of playing Doc you never got the cards to play successful most other faction than your starting fraction above 1k elo. Mostly you will get roflstomped as its happens to you with haven. Perhaps its not the best idea for everyone to cross boarders that fast. Try haven and the other fractions below 1k elo and you will have fun. You also get more cards faster this way (not saying you should do this surrender bull ****).

To the author of this post: Nice job! Most things i totally agree even if i don't think its nessary to reach 1500 elo that fast just in order not miss other fun this game offers

Nice to see a fellow MtG player use his CCG experience to perform well in a similar game. I moved on a similar timeline to yours, reaching 1k ELO at level 7 or 8 and 1.5k ELO a few weeks ago at level 39, and many of the points you posted are spot on.

Knowing the game theory, familiarizing yourself with as much of the card pool as possible so you can anticipate your moves along with your opponent's, and just learning to make smart decision in general are often as important (if not more important) than your card pool. Having access to more powerful cards is definitely going to help you on that final stretch, but I'm convinced that anyone can hit at least 1,300 ELO in a relatively short time just by grinding up and spending wisely all while learning the ins and outs of the game.

A lot of times I see people in the lower ELO range are only too willing to complain non-stop about things they perceive to be overpowered (inferno sub-1k, dark magic, etc.) rather than learn to move past them and improve their game so they are less likely to lose to them in the future. Sadly it's a huge hindrance and a lot of people seem to get stuck in a rut that they can totally manage their way out of if they would just be open to advice and all of the information that is out there.

Anyway, my morning coffee got me hyped up and has turned this into a longer rambling than intended. Congrats on your 1500! Go win some swisses and get your shiny FW heroes, and then bust up some tier 1's in the jackpot