ZergRusher's Avatar Duel of Champions Grandmaster
    @larkhainan
    well the ability +1 retal to adjacent humans is actually pretty weak so what's more important is the light sub-type of the creature. 1/3/6 with Preemptive Strike isn't that strong - you want to bust his attack with other cards and Preemptive Strike and 6HP are the tools to let him stay alive. Again please note that most open Haven decks are rushy/midrange and 1 attack 3-drop just doesnt suit them (unless you will buff it later). And his low reqs allow him to be deployed on turn 2 when starting 1st (Tithe -> Wolf Priest might be the best Haven opening when starting 1st).

Xyx0rz's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by ZergRusher Go to original post
    3. ninja changes
    - Devout Priest has now Light school of magic. Should be really strong in Light theme decks.
    - Radiant Glory has now Light school of magic. Should be really strong in Light theme decks.
    Wow, that's a ninja change indeed. But are you sure about Radiant Glory? I can find three versions of it in Google's image search; non-Light, Light written out in the types, and Light as a symbol. Maybe it got ninja changed during some older update.

Originally Posted by Xyx0rz Go to original post
    Wow, that's a ninja change indeed. But are you sure about Radiant Glory? I can find three versions of it in Google's image search; non-Light, Light written out in the types, and Light as a symbol. Maybe it got ninja changed during some older update.
    almost 100% certain on both Glory and Priest

Radiant Glory and Devout Priest both definitely do, but Crusader Watchman and Crusader Chaplain both don't. Chaplain might sound a little weird to point out, but c'mon, he's all glowing and stuff!

Hilarious that Arcane Sharpshooter got buffed with prime (relevant for a bunch of cards in the new set) but Crusader Watchman did not. Oh haven-chan~

After appearence of Dragon Crystal, Crusader-Watchman became almost unplayable at the opening.
    What do u think what is the better change for him - Lesser Glory 1-1-6 flyer or 2-nd drop priest 1-1-5 shooter from HoN ?
    This question is also relevant for light decks.

jkk89's Avatar First 1700 ELO! Hooah!
    Originally Posted by R3ZZ_ Go to original post
    After appearence of Dragon Crystal, Crusader-Watchman became almost unplayable at the opening.
    What do u think what is the better change for him - Lesser Glory 1-1-6 flyer or 2-nd drop priest 1-1-5 shooter from HoN ?
    This question is also relevant for light decks.
    I wouldnt say he is unplayable. Seems to work really well as Dragon's Crystal bait (I am serious).

Originally Posted by jkk89 Go to original post
    I wouldnt say he is unplayable. Seems to work really well as Dragon's Crystal bait (I am serious).
    May be ib STD decks with Devout Priest - it can be nice.
    But in open it is golbal collaps in matchup Cassa vs Hakeem.

Because now your powerline watchman + captain is almost countred by single racshasa-scout and crystal.

Thoutmosis1's Avatar Member
    Originally Posted by ZergRusher Go to original post
    Premium old Anael (BS2) in the Pit
    Thx, and that's 20 WC

I'd write about two decks from OPN that make a lot of the current meta: Inferno rushes (mostly Xorm) and Mother Namtaru - both of them are rushes faster then what we have ever seen ago (both are probably faster than Crag Hack),

Cassandra vs Xorm
    I've been of the opinion for some time that Xorm in open is a cancer that spreads. And now, it's even stronger and faster. Both versions: 5/1/1 and 3/1-2/2 are deadly and very hard to play against. When you see the Xorm player to go for 4 might expect Hellfire maniacs and 5/1/1 build.

During the beginning you should try to maneuver your units to prepare for blocking. Remember that:
    - Xorm has Fire Bolts - always check if you will get the Path of Ancestors event (you should play with them)
    - Xorm ability adds 1 attack to each melee including melee-shooters
    - remembering the above try to minimize possible bad trades when blocking

Make sure you observe Xorm hand during the first turns. Altar of Destruction - Xorm's finisher is the furthest to the right card in Xorm's hand, right of Gold Pile. During the 1st 2 turns Xorm will probably use all their Gold Piles and the Dragon Crystal so every card to the right has to be the Altar.

Quite often you will block maniacs and allow LS to deal damage while preparing your units to gather around Wolf Captain that will block the line with LS.

Try to survive until you will cast Devotion after that you should get back the board advantage and win the game.

I recommend putting 2 Holy Praetorians just because of Xorm. You should try to get them during your starting hand, also Devotion is great.

Cassandra vs Mother
    There are a couple of Mother builds and every one is a tough matchup for you since you rely so much on 2-drops. Her ability might be the best in the game and some rushy builds, like 2/4/0 leave you with no chance since Mother will abuse her ability killing every 2-drop you deploy. She is the reason why i no longer recommend the classic, rushy version w/o Treasurers since in this build there isn't enough 3+-drops.

I actually dont have a perfect strategy to play against Mother but if you need to block and you expect Mother's player to use the ability, try to use other 2-drops than Wolf Captains and deploy Wolf Captains when Path of Ancestors is on. Also try to deploy 2-drops in bigger numbers so she can't use her ability each turn gaining momentum while you lose your units. Don't keep hand with multiple 2-drops, 3 drops are more important in the matchup.

------------

for Haven i'd say that starting 2cd is better simply because the flagship opener: Tithe -> 3-drop (usually a Glory) is no longer possible since you cannot reach 3 might in the 2nd turn, but when starting 2cd you can deploy Tithe and then your 3-drop or even 2 2-drops with 1 resource from the Crystal. Since out best opening is not possible, it's perfectly ok to play without Tithe Collectors but 4 Rivers.

Here an example of a deck (w/o Collectors): http://www.platoongaming.fr/deck/289...ge-w-o-tithes/ (please note that i'm testing it and that's why there are no 2 Lesser Glories for example). Also jkkk showed such a deck in the AoL tournament - week 1

TIME OF RENEWAL

Please note that this thread is about OPN Cassandra.

With every expansion i write a short review of Haven cards, especially those that can be added to the Cassandra deck. This time i'll only focus on new cards and will omit the reprints.

I'll start with describing the new ability: Perfect retaliation

Perfect retaliation - Retaliation dmg from this creature cannot be prevented or reduced
    Perfect retaliation, apart from normal retaliation, works:
    • against shooters
    • against melee-guard
    • NOT work like retribution - meaning that when your creature dies there is no retaliation
    • works against Incorporeal meaning that a might creature will deal full retaliation dmg to Incorporeal creature but only half when attacking

It's really hard for me to say how strong the perfect retal is. It's a new ability so it requires some testing. However it's stronger than Retribution and around the same power level as Pre-emptive Strike.

Only 2 creatures have this ability: Wolf Guard and Griffin Captain (he also gives it to adjacent creatuers). I like this ability since it will force more interactive play (you want to block enemy creatures) and also is a badly needed way for Haven to deal with shooters (Haven traditionally had problem with no retal creatures in STD). There 2 other cards that grant the ability: Offensive Stance and Emperor's Wall.

Griffin Captain
    I think the Captain might be one of the best 3-drops in the game. Comparing it to Radiant Glory, the staple 3-drop in Cassa so far, you sacrifice 1 dmg for quite a lot, Perfect Retaliation to him and adjacent creature and +1 retal to adjacent creatures. In every matchup, that actually requires you to actively engage enemy's creatures it's better than the Glory. However, there are many decks that doesn't rely on creature damage or board control and in this matchups this +1 attack is more important than the Griffin Captain's perks.

Griffin Captain is a human, unlike Glory, so it can be used with Barracks.

+1 retal will be very good in retal decks

Falcon Holy Priest
    In Haven it's quite easily to find creatures with high retal value and he can change Wolf Priest from 1/3/6 to 3/3/6. And let's not forget other cards that improve retal value: Griffin Captain, Wolf Priest, Wolf Justicar, Resolute Stand (also buildings: Watchtower and Emperor's Walls).
    Just compare its ability to an already existing card: Truce of Elrath (Although Truce of Elrath works on enemy creatures while his ability doesn't). This card was played in retal decks so and it's a very situation card that costs 2 resources. In some situations, Halcon Holy Priest's ability is almost like Truce of Elrath.

He will be a staple in retal decks.

Another thing is that his ability doesnt stack and such global abilities suit more unique creatures than normal ones.

Falcon Praetorian

Notice that will give himself a Pre-emptive Strike during the first turn. I think that Haven has better options for 4 resources but his body looks fair so i guess putting just 1 in a Haven deck, especially retaliation centered wouldn't be a mistake.

Blind Justicar
    Again, another addition to a retal deck. He looks very strong. Notice that he can choose himself and thus he will always deal at least 1 dmg. One of the best 4-drops in the game

Quick thoughts on retaliation deck in OPN:

- Cassandra is a rush deck and a retal decks are usually more controllish and much slower. It's important to kill the enemy while you are protected by Pillages and Prison (your locking cards).
    - in OPN there are many stall decks and mills that won't allow you to interact with their creatures and take advantage of high retaliation. In such cases more rushy, standard version of Cassandra is probably stronger than it's retal version.

I didn't have time to create and test retaliation Cassandra so maybe another time. I only created an updated Rax Cassa RushLock: http://www.mmdoctools.com/replay/158...sandra.en.html