killzab's Avatar Senior Member

Bugs, Glitches and how people perceive them

Thinking back about AC3 ( and this thread is not an "AC3 bashing" thread), I find it funny how different players' experiences with glitches have been. Some claim, ( I tend to be one of them) that the game is riddled with them, others say they haven't seen any !!

So how can it be possible ? I don't suppose some copies are wrong or that some people have been so unbelievably lucky that they didn't encounter any.

Is it just the fact that they don't mind them ?

I mean, I just did a playthrough of AC3 and honestly encountered a glitch per minute at moments (during missions at least). So perhaps I am nitpicky, but when in a fight, a guard is just standing there looking at trees I can't help but notice it and kind of "nerdrage" at the game.

So ... is it all just a matter of being demanding ?

What has been YOUR experience with glitches ? ( it doesn't have to be only AC 3, just the saga in general)

Here's the thing. Games are a complex beast where there are tons of variables, conditions, possible situations, outcomes, actions.

In a simple straightforward sense, what a bug (or a glitch) is, when a certain amount of conditions are met, something bad happens. And what patches do, essentially, is to try and put into code considerations for those conditions.

Games being an interactive medium, everybody plays them differently, on different hardware (PS3, XBox, plus PC which has ****tons of variables), doing different things. So, 'not minding the bugs' is just one part of the equation, because, really, a lot of gamers tend to forgive a number of little bugs, especially in huge complex open-world games. But also, it's just a matter of dumb luck, those who encounter less bugs just do things the way, for the most part, the code is written to properly process, and those who encounter a lot of bugs just happen to meet tons of conditions on which the code freaks out (and those conditions may be, really, as stupid as 'if the unit stands one milimeter to the left during this part of the animation it flies away', which makes it a lot harder to track down).

I encountered 3 glitches and 3 glitches only (Playing the unpatched version...)
    Thats right I play AC how it is shipped before I install patches!!! Cause I'm a BOSSS

1. As Haytham on the ship I would see double of the character below deck (Amusing, not game breaking)
    2. Animals would get stuck in rocks (Amusing, not game breaking)
    3. A target was stuck in a cabin (I jumped and rolled into the glitched cabin to kill him then fast traveled out, kind of game breaking if you don't think outside of the box like me)

I never had a single game breaking glitch
    And that's why I don't install open world patches until I beat a games story
    (except Skyrim forced me to...)

Patches do 1 of 2 things .. fix a glitch or kill an exploit....
    which sounds great but 99% of the time this "glitch" is cosmetic and I don't want to take the chance that they fix the under deck twins and accidentally knock the ufo mission out of whack
    Because that seems to be what happened.,..
    Everyone is having problems with the ufo mission (they probably installed all patches) I had no problems with any missions at all

IMHO AC3 got bad press because of its setting and themes and reviewers used it's glitches as a scapegoat when they never take off points in games like skyrim, gta,COD, or WWE which are full of glitches..

and also to add to my never patch until you beat the story...
    You have to think...
    What are devs going to skim with a fine toothed comb before it is shipped..the open world or the missions?
    EASY they are going to play the story and side missions over and over to make sure they do what they are supposed to..
    When they add a patch they dont have the time to do that again.... they just patch it in and pray...

pirate1802's Avatar AC Expert
    I encountered just two bugs in AC3 and both were hilarious. One was in which those woodcutter guys (Terry and another one.. forgot his name) duplicated themselves and moved about in pairs. The second was way more fun:

ladyleonhart's Avatar Senior Member
    Glitches in ACIII for me included:

- Wolves getting stuck in trees with continuous growling unless I left the area completely, since I couldn't kill them.
    - I found a deer twice in the same area in two different game saves, which doesn't move at all. Lol, it's like part of the scenery, but Connor can walk straight through it. :P
    - Haytham fell through the ship and into the water resulting in desynchronization.
    - Boston harbour glitch - enemies just keep on coming, which is actually quite fun.

One other thing about the wolves, I found that I could only kill the wolves on 'Oak Island' by air assassinating them. I'm not sure if that was a glitch or if it was done that way on purpose. Then, the QTE prompts wouldn't work at all and I had absolutely no problem in completing the hunting side mission, which required finding every animal in each area.

The funny thing is that I didn't encounter a single glitch the first time I played and those listed above occurred in replays. Overall, as experienced by STDlyMcStudpants, luckily, I never encountered a game-breaking glitch either.

killzab's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by STDlyMcStudpants Go to original post
    and also to add to my never patch until you beat the story...
    You have to think...
    What are devs going to skim with a fine toothed comb before it is shipped..the open world or the missions?
    EASY they are going to play the story and side missions over and over to make sure they do what they are supposed to..
    When they add a patch they dont have the time to do that again.... they just patch it in and pray...
    This is interesting actually, I might try it !

pacmanate's Avatar Senior Member
    I cant remember any AC3 glitches at present but I did get a funny one in FC3 yesterday. One of the Rakyat guys was talking to his friend, who just died in a fight haha. It was so funny. He was like "I'll tell my mother you are coming for dinner". And I was just like.... "HE DED"

Well first off there are several platforms and for PC there all kinds of configurations. Then it depends on when you played the game relative to the patches. But most importantly is probably that some people notice/remember bugs a lot more than others. I noticed some bugs in AC /like 10 perhaps), but they had little effect on my enjoyment of the game.

Originally Posted by killzab Go to original post
    Thinking back about AC3 ( and this thread is not an "AC3 bashing" thread), I find it funny how different players' experiences with glitches have been. Some claim, ( I tend to be one of them) that the game is riddled with them, others say they haven't seen any !!

So how can it be possible ? I don't suppose some copies are wrong or that some people have been so unbelievably lucky that they didn't encounter any.

Is it just the fact that they don't mind them ?

I mean, I just did a playthrough of AC3 and honestly encountered a glitch per minute at moments (during missions at least). So perhaps I am nitpicky, but when in a fight, a guard is just standing there looking at trees I can't help but notice it and kind of "nerdrage" at the game.

So ... is it all just a matter of being demanding ?

What has been YOUR experience with glitches ? ( it doesn't have to be only AC 3, just the saga in general)
    i think it depends on the individual persons perseption of what a glitch is
    for example when i have the game character standing on a roof above a haystack, and if i press slightly away from the haystack, but still in the same 12.5 degrees either side of the haystack, 7/10 times the character will jump into the haystack;
    is this a glitch? or is it tha i am trying to push the game so hard that i want to land right next to a haystack but not in it? i think its all down to perception
    ( i apologize for any spellling mistakes)

now to edit,
    glitches i have discovered include,
    trying to jump over or past a haystack and landing in it
    finding the location by some waterfall ( near a mission where you have to save some mohawk people and get in without being detected, and perform a leap of faith near to leave the area) that let you jump from one rock to another in the water and fall trhough the map
    fidning the infinite spawig bear in the same location
    fidning the infinite spawning convoys
    fast traveling to the liberated fort in top left of frontier and a redcoat always spawns
    find the tree with floating branches that also exists in the DLC
    finding invisible walls in the frontier (in dlc) (in the middle of hte frontier is not near he edges)
    attempting to get the trinket at the top of the frontier and lading on the bootom of the trench and not desynching untill i take a step forwards
    unable to complete the homefront missions because of the woodcutter scanningglitch
    attempting to do a wall run back eject still does not work
    falling back off a building into a haystack gives the wrong animation and audio queaes (as compared to all othr ac titles)
    performing a leap of faith gives no eagle audio queue
    having duel psitols equipt, randomizes the pistols you have and they ar often not een the same pistol, such as one pitcairn and one duckfoot
    killing key targets with throwing knives, stil triggers animations as though they where killed by the hidden blade or in CQC
    trying to climb a building and being unable to land on a certain ledge or being able to grab onto a certain ledge

thats all i can think of right now
    none of them where life changing or game breaking, i loved and enjoyed the game,

Page 1 of 6 123 ... Last ►►