Aza404's Avatar DoC Shoutcaster

Gameplay article by SimonV – Haven, Inferno and Neutrals

Brought to you by SimonV

Dear Champions,

The Empire doesn’t always like what the Wizards are doing. Sometimes, they go too far and greatly disrespect Asha. Crusaders are sent south to keep them in check.

In terms of gameplay, some Crusaders get better when they have no damage. We’ve already revealed the Chaplain and he represents this ability pretty well.

You’re going to want to play healing cards, especially Lay of Hands, a Light spell that removes a number of damage from your creatures equal to your magic level.

Crusaders are independent from the Empire and can gather their own resources. That’s why we now have a Crusader with Income 2!

One thing that wasn’t mentioned so far is the new cycle of Unique creatures. Each of them has a basic ability tied to their faction and they have an ability that triggers when they enter the battleground or attack. In Haven’s case, we have Anael, an Angel that heals her comrades, which fits Haven’s new gameplay perfectly.

Now let’s talk Demons

Most of the times, a Demon enters Asha when walls of Sheogh weakens during an Eclipse. But sometimes, a Wizard finds a way to summon a Demon to do his bidding, at a price.

Most of Inferno’s roster has great stats and abilities, but requires you to do something in return. Like the Abyssal Worm! He’s 8/4/8, Attack Anywhere, and costs 6. That’s pretty awesome if you ask me!

This guy has a serious death wish!

But as I said, that beast comes with a drawback. As long as it’s in play, you can’t produce more than 3 resources. Well, as long as it’s in play, my opponent’s life total is in serious jeopardy!

On a smaller scale, Inferno gets another pesky Imp. This one could become pretty handy when it comes to protecting your Worm. As long as the Jester Imp is in play, only the imp can be targeted by abilities. Your opponent plays a Banshee? Wastes it on the Imp. Although you do have to consider that, you too can’t target anything else.

Let’s move on to some Neutral creatures.

Those usually don’t have a theme to tie them together, but they follow the general theme of the set. We’ve got a Burning Sand Elemental with Fire Burst, a Soothsayer that fetches Unique fortunes and this set’s very own Greater Air Elemental.

Oh! And a Phoenix!

When it dies, it comes back to your hand. For 2 resources, you get a 3/0/3 Flyer. If you look too fast, you might mistake that as a rush oriented creature. For such a low cost and great stats and to be able to go back to your hands over and over, surely it must have a drawback of some sort? Well, think of it as an additional cost. When you play it, you have to banish 3 cards from your graveyard. It can help you rush, but it also helps you defend, multiple times.

Let me end this article with one of my favorite spell of the expansion.

Get used to this artwork; you’re going to see it a lot. For 6 resources, you choose 2 empty tiles and deal 5 damage to all creatures adjacent to those tiles. Who needs the Wombo Combo now?

Bazaltovy's Avatar Swiss Hunter
    Great, solid amount of information. Thanks a million!

PS. I'll get used to Forked Lightning for sure... but because of a different reason

Hantziie's Avatar Senior Member
    not sure what to think about this habilities. Looks awesome but we just can see if it is or not in duel

Another healing ability for heaven? Very creative but maybe its a usefull one...

Yay, chain lightning with more boobs!

Ugh. I see we're still attempting to curb the overpowered cards by releasing weak counters that aren't all that effective. How about just directly nerfing Banshee instead of releasing a weaker card as a lightning rod? I can fix banshee in one second. Make the target of instant destruction by the banshee a random creature opponent controls instead of being able to direct it. Still a powerful card without being overly dominant.

Instead, factions are being given weak counters that probably won't work very well at all.

While I'm on a roll, I'm disappointed to see we're encouraging deck searching (search for unique fortunes). In a game with a 50 card minimum where you can draw two or more cards every turn with ease, unique cards which massively impact the game for low costs (strength of sea, forbidden flame) should not be obtained by deck searches. I am also assuming that this set will have new unique fortunes to make the new tutor more appealing.

Even if it doesn't, I expect Necro and Inferno to become even more dominant, as Garant's Purge and Seria's Legion are by far the best unique fortunes in the game. Doubtless Adar-Malik and Dhamiria players will rejoice.

Well, I hope the healing will actually be useful now. Because every time that Haven has had a decent deck, it was always a rush Haven that had nothing to do with healing.

I foresee board resets every two turns.
    The game will be so much more fun after the next expansion hits the stands.
    Why even bother with creatures anymore?

Originally Posted by constrict0r Go to original post
    Ugh. I see we're still attempting to curb the overpowered cards by releasing weak counters that aren't all that effective. How about just directly nerfing Banshee instead of releasing a weaker card as a lightning rod? I can fix banshee in one second. Make the target of instant destruction by the banshee a random creature opponent controls instead of being able to direct it. Still a powerful card without being overly dominant.

Instead, factions are being given weak counters that probably won't work very well at all.
    To nerf or not to nerf, that is the question...

But please, don't add too much randomness !