Three Campaigns? That's all?

Unlike many users, I don't give a flying crap about multiplayer... But I know there are plenty of us campaign-only players out there. Having this component so completely underdeveloped is a massive slap in the face to those who have taken the time to learn the game, and were expecting at least a legitimate single-player experience.

Booooo

dale533's Avatar Senior Member
    IMO, the campaign is there for the sole purpose of teaching you about the card play. Since this is the first card game I have ever played, I appreciate it.

BTW, if you have not played the HOMM series, you should try them. They do have campaigns as well as a variety of single player maps. I played HOMM V for well more than a year without getting tired of it -- primarily because of all the fan made maps. HOMM VI did not last as long for me, but it did have half decent campaigns.

Originally Posted by dale533 Go to original post
    BTW, if you have not played the HOMM series, you should try them. They do have campaigns as well as a variety of single player maps. I played HOMM V for well more than a year without getting tired of it -- primarily because of all the fan made maps. HOMM VI did not last as long for me, but it did have half decent campaigns.
    I've been playing Heroes since the first one (which was a dud), but the series came into its own on the second and especially 3rd editions. I've been playing the M&M RPGs since #2 - which was what, 25 years ago. The common factor of thew entire M&M series - stellar single-player play. I don't particularly like the latest versions of the Heroes series' as the required time investment has gone from reasonable to absurd.

dale533's Avatar Senior Member
    The M&M series were also very good as you say. They did not have the map editor such as Heroes did, but were great games in their time -- as were many other RPG games.

Revalon's Avatar Senior Member
    If I would get 1€ everytime someone complains that a multi player game does not have a gigantic single player part, I would never need to work anymore.
    But since it's not like that, would you please stop whining and start playing single player games if you want a single player game.

Originally Posted by Revalon Go to original post
    If I would get 1€ everytime someone complains that a multi player game does not have a gigantic single player part, I would never need to work anymore.
    And if I had a $1 every time some elitist multi-player snot made a snide self-serving comment, I would own the world. People like you are the REASON I don't play multi-player.

Its a multiplayer game, I grow tired of single player games having a multi-player component as an after thought and usually a shoddy experience because of it. But you know what I do if I find that? I don't play the game.

Originally Posted by Viridel48 Go to original post
    And if I had a $1 every time some elitist multi-player snot made a snide self-serving comment, I would own the world. People like you are the REASON I don't play multi-player.
    You're absolutely wrong about me.
    I'm a big fan of single player games, I'm far from being elitist and absolutely want to have a friendly and respectful environment in the multi player games I play which aren't very many I play actively, wishing my opponents luck and fun in about every game, congratulating him on winning even when I'm absolutely frustrated about the match.
    I simply expect people to understand that the internet is mainly for communication, which contains multy player games rather than single player. This game is based on competition, on facing others in duels, not in doing your own thing without ever having to care about others except for maybe seeing what they are doing.
    If that's not what you want, that's ok, but don't blame the game for being what it's meant to be.

The point is, why have a campaign mode at all then? Why put in the programming effort to have that component included, but then half-*** it up with such a lack of follow-up effort. The campaign dialog is a joke, so that couldn't have taken more than 10-15 minutes to write. The art is already in place. The only thing that needs to be done is build the deck for each opponent. Yes, this will take a marginal amount of time, but let's be realistic here - there have been more expansion packs than campaign modules, yet the time "expense" for expansions absolutely dwarfs the time expense to build a deck. This is an intentional decision by Ubi to disregard that area of the game - in spite of the framework already existing. Considering the HM&M franchise is primarily built around the single player experience, and M&M is (obviously) built entirely around single-player play, one would think more respect would be given to these gamers and the legacy of the franchise(s).

I don't know if that what is there has been since the beginning of the game, but i guess it was.
    The main purpose of the campaign is to lead new players, showing them the general mechanics of the game and providing them with some stuff without just giving it to them for free.
    And while I really liked the campaign and would love to have more of it, I think the biggest amount of work should be put into making the multi player experience enjoyable, finding and fixing bugs, working on the balance and so on. For me, and I'm mostly playing single player games as I said, that has absolute priority, while the single player mode is a bonus, but nothing that should be taken as an argument against a multi player game if it's not as you want it.
    When the game is working well in the main region, which is multi player, then they can put some real effort in the single player campaign, but they should not do both, where both would suffer.