Is it me or did they just do the 3d mode3l and not the FM tweak?I get the same roll clipped and not clipped on the spits.Turn seems the same as well as climb.

Is it me or did they just do the 3d mode3l and not the FM tweak?I get the same roll clipped and not clipped on the spits.Turn seems the same as well as climb.

's Avatar Banned
    Yes, there`s not much difference.. did you do timed tests?

I have a RAF report in front of me, basically it says that clipping the wing only brings small increase in roll rate on individual planes with lighter ailerons, and more on planes that have heavier ailerons. Turning and stalling charachteristics are worser, that`s change what pilots did like the least. The plane is little faster at low altitudes, but slower at high altitudes with clipped wings. Climb rate is lower by about 200 fpm at all altitudes, and as a result, service ceiling, too.

It was conlcuded in report that clipping the wings was generally not profitable, altough in certain scenarios, ie. only low altitude combat it had its advantages. But again, most pilots did not like to have a descrease in horizontal manouveribility (their best asset) for some gain in roll rate (an avarage asset).

Aztek_Eagle's Avatar Banned
    There is a sink rate increese to, this helped the raf corsair to do better nose up landings on carriers and not to flotate on the air while landing, this is because the british got to cut off some feets of the wings as they were to big to their aircraft carrier hangars, but the americans were advise by the british not to mod their corsairs as there could be some problems, and they didnt want to be fault at

Willey's Avatar Senior Member
    right... they hardly differ... 5kph speed maybe and that it

Oh ok....I was expecting a good difference in feel and now see that it wasnt much in real life.

No, there should be a good increase in roll rate!

I don't have AEP yet (UK grr!) but i know that the RL spitfire had a modest roll rate with 'full wings'. Clipping the wings brought the roll up a rate faster than most any other plane except the FW.

If there is barely any difference between them in AEP then that aint true to life.

Wow it seems that the spit has alot in need of fixing.No stalls and high speed bat turns.

The spit was a difficult plane to stall...very forgiving and a true pilot's plane. I would agree that the high speed elevator response is a little overbaked but that is the only noticable thing to me.

I was reading on the clipped wing vs. standard wing and my book (Osprey) stated that the roll rate was much better w/ clipped, there was about a 5 mph increase in speed, slight improvement in climb at low and medium altitudes and a slight increase in turning radius.

Overall, if it were me, I would be flying the clipped wing version (if modelled correctly) everywhere except for high altitude.

High speed bat turns? Are you kidding?

It is supposed to be a good turning plane.

Also, it does stall. If you yank the stick all the way back it will stall. Check your stick settings if it doesn't.

Should it turn like a p47? Would that make you happy?