Aza404's Avatar DoC Shoutcaster

Academy's Gameplay - Part 2

Brought to you by Dev_SimonV

Before you read this, make sure you’ve checked out Part 1 of Academy’s reveal where I talk about the different Houses and the creatures that go with them.

This time, I’ll be talking about the mages themselves and Academy’s fortunes.

Phased

There’s a couple of good support Mages, mainly with Magic Channel and the new Spell Resist. Those guys aren’t there to fight. Speaking of which, some other Mages will avoid enemy creatures completely through an ability called Phased. A Phased creature cannot be attacked by another creature, BUT they can’t block either. If your opponent wants to deal with them, he will have to use spells or fortunes. A Phased creature is good for offense, but don’t try and use them defensively!

Nethermancers

Some other mages decided to become Nethermancers (not to be confused with Necromancers!), a forbidden practice in the Seven Cities. They seek to explore Void magic (a sub-category of Prime magic), aware of the risk that failing to control its power can cause one to be consumed by it.
    In terms of mechanics, a Nethermancer will try to empty their opponent’s library of cards by milling their opponent (milling is the term used for any effect that makes cards go directly from your library to your graveyard.)

Fortunes help this archetype a lot, but it’s impossible to create a pure fortune milling deck.
    Creatures trigger most of the milling effects, so to play this strategy effectively you will need a strong presence on the battleground. We were extra careful with this archetype to ensure that it revolved around creatures, and was not purely taking place in the Nethermancer’s hand. It creates a fun twist on a mechanic that’s not particularly appreciated.

New Counter Strategies

With that, we had to introduce solutions to milling and graveyard recursion. Each faction has cards that interact with the graveyard now so we decided to offset that new theme with cards that counter graveyard-centered strategy, including milling.

Fortunes in Academy aren’t all about mill. They also have the best fortunes to increase your magic level, and some great fetch cards for spells - especially their Unique, which can fetch spells from your opponent’s library to play for yourself!

So there you have it, Academy in a nutshell!
    Stay tuned for more spoilers!

By Dev_SimonV

So, new OTKs, at least 2(Nethersnows and Ignatius), both of them boring as snow. Oh, and I haven't encountered Naga cards that interact with the graveyard, does that mean we get some?

Quick question about phased, can they be hit by indirect attacks that they don't need to be targeted for?

svilleneuve's Avatar Game Designer - Balancing
    Originally Posted by Heroesfan123 Go to original post
    So, new OTKs, at least 2(Nethersnows and Ignatius), both of them boring as snow. Oh, and I haven't encountered Naga cards that interact with the graveyard, does that mean we get some?

Quick question about phased, can they be hit by indirect attacks that they don't need to be targeted for?
    They get splash damage and you can still cast fireballs on them, you just can't attack them. But you can attack through them too, if it's the only creature in a row, you can attack the hero directly. Phased is both an advantage as it is a disadvantage.

As for mill, we took every precaution to make sure that the archetype is unplayable without creatures. You need so many cards to support your mill that stalling the game or OTK-ing isn't as efficient. That's what we aimed for.

Yay for giving mill a faction and home.

Now I hope we can all forget about that annoying Necro mill decks for good.

hahahaha, We have crying threads about OTK/slowpoke/mill, now I expect new wave of cries to come

Phased looks interesting.

I don't like mill strategies in any game so I am not thrilled by that ability...

It is good to have more counters to graveyard recursion and mill

Can't wait for new expansion!

SoulFourSoul's Avatar Junior Member
    This game reminds me a lot of MTG, which isn't a bad thing at all <3 I'm an old school MTG player, started in Revised and ended in Saviors of Kamigawa. I don't play any MTG games anymore or any other card games besides this one. You've done such a great job with this game, thank you. As for the new expansion it looks like it's really gonna shake things up.. There's gonna be a lot of new deck types and I'm looking forward to seeing how players adjust to them including myself. The new mechanics explained here are extremely powerful and sounds like these will change everything we know in DoC. I for one am just in a grinning mood when I read that their will be cards that will be able to play spells out of someone's deck.. lol. I know it's gonna be great to use but at the same time I know I'm gonna love to hate it lol.

Originally Posted by tattedwarrior Go to original post
    I for one am just in a grinning mood when I read that their will be cards that will be able to play spells out of someone's deck.. lol. I know it's gonna be great to use but at the same time I know I'm gonna love to hate it lol.
    Like Bribery in those old times in MtG? (those, who complain about Puppet master should have tried Bribery, when Bu Controll was in it's peak of glory) (sigh... those old good times... )

Very noob question, what is "milling"?

zenithale's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by gr1ffius Go to original post
    Very noob question, what is "milling"?
    That's something really strategic, you put your opponent's cards from Deck to Grave.

For example :
    -Because of this sh**** Stone/Paper/Scissors system I was obliged to add some cards to counter your Deck! But today I will win against you, for sure!
    Few turns later...
    -Hahaha ! Too bad for you, look at your Grave!
    -%#*-/?!§ !