Aza404's Avatar DoC Shoutcaster

Academy's Gameplay - Part 1

Brought to you by Dev_SimonV

Academy Background

Years ago, a fringe group of mages wanted to push the boundaries of their magical research beyond the moral constraints set by the Holy Empire. In a way, you could say they were the scientists of Ashan. Their first major creations were the orcs and the beastmen, who were quickly recruited to help fight the demons that had escaped Sheogh.
    The war was won, but shortly afterwards the Orcs rebelled against their masters and broke away to form their own tribes. Undeterred, the mages merely turned their attention to new areas of research.

The Seven Cities, home of the mages, were divided in 4 houses:

• House Chimera, responsible for creating the orcs and beastmen
    • House Eterna, the Necromancers who split away to form the Necropolis faction
    • House Anima, the summoners, binder of spirits, and elementalists
    • House Materia, the Alchemists, those who crafted the Titans, constructs and gargoyles.

Of course, House Eterna isn’t represented in our Academy cards, so I’m going to talk about the 3 other Houses and how we approached their gameplay.

Academy Gameplay

House Chimera
    I’ll start with House Chimera. During our storyline, House Chimera is still recovering from the Orc rebellion. The Rakshasas are their fiercest creation to date; agile, strong, and loyal above all.

Evade is the mechanic we gave the Rakshasas to represent their agility. They’re great fighters, and adaptable in combat. Whenever they are attacked by a melee or flyer, if there is a free adjacent position on the same line, they will prevent the attack damage and move to that position. If both positions are free, there is a random chance they will move up or down. They can only Evade once per turn. These guys can really screw up your opponent’s plans, but it’s also hard for you to control them.
    To complement these guys, there are the Dervish Dancers. All Dervish have the Range Reflect X ability, which redirects X combat damage from a shooter enemy back to that enemy.

So your Rakshasas will deal with the melees and flyers, while the Dervish can handle the shooters!

House Anima
    Let’s move one to the next House: Anima
    These mages like to deal with powerful spirits and bind them to their will. Djinns are not always interested in helping mages and certainly not happy to be enslaved. Some are more helpful then others though.

We represent this conflict by balancing the benefits of most Djinns with clear drawbacks. You may find a Djinn with a lot of firepower and a low resource cost, but if not played well, that Djinn can also deal damage to your Hero. The cheaper Djinns aren’t necessarily rush creatures, but they will certainly help you get more stats on the board.
    Other Djinns have no drawbacks and are mainly there to support your spells. Like Nur, a new Unique card with Magic Channel 3 (among other things)!

House Materia
    Last but not least is House Materia.
    They like to build big things. Let’s start with the smaller ones first, and save the big guns for last.

The gargoyles are Academy’s tanks. They have more health points and usually no attack. Being built for defense, it only makes sense that they get Magic Resist, or better yet: Magic Guard!

Next, we have the Constructs. They usually have very specific purposes. Some fight, some are there to boost your spells. They’re very versatile.
    And then we have the Titans.

They all have Shockwave X, which is a new blast ability. They can attack empty tiles to deal X damage to all enemy creatures adjacent to that tile.

Make sure to check out Part 2 of Academy’s reveal coming in the next few days!

By Dev_SimonV

Too little too late to draw me back in. Points for effort, but not too many, mind You.

Yeah, because it's all about you here.

Originally Posted by Heroesfan123 Go to original post
    Too little too late to draw me back in. Points for effort, but not too many, mind You.
    Haha x)
    We have loads coming in the next few weeks! Still lots to look forwards to

House Materia for me!

To be honest I didn't expect this, so color me impressed! I really like that you are getting away from the "standard" factions, I really like everything you told us here. Still, I am not big fan of Academy myself, so I am more interested in what new stuff will Necro, Inferno and Stronghold get. :P

Great informative post, nonetheless!

I am really impressed to see so many new game mechanics.

Looking forward for more!

Flavor-wise this looks nice and interesting. It is really good to see Academy flavor from Heroes serial get in DoC. Good job!

But as a gamer and someone who loves competition I must fear for balance as more factions are coming out. We already have five, this is sixth and I think you are planing to get more factions out in the future.

If you plan to keep this game competitive and 'e-sport like' game with tournaments keep in mind you need to get balance in check, and it is getting harder with every faction that comes out.

All in all, maybe I am a bit more concerned than I should be. For now game has no major balance issues... need few tweaks here and there

Can't wait to see Academy in action and I hope for the best Also want to mention that I like this game a lot ^^

I too am pleased with this preview. This has info and backstory (which has really been lacking before this) and art. Very pleased.

Keep up this level of content.

Originally Posted by VampFury Go to original post
    If you plan to keep this game competitive and 'e-sport like' game with tournaments keep in mind you need to get balance in check, and it is getting harder with every faction that comes out.
    Just to clarify: every expansion that comes with a new faction will also come with additional cards for the other factions as well, thus keeping the balance between factions as much as possible on the same level!

Hope this helps
    Aza

Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last ►►