More skills, trainers and other ideas... will be updated

Now that I'm finally able to post here after a little delay, and even though it seams most of my points about the game so far have already been posted, I thought to *** some more stuff i was thinking about...

UPDATE: New Skills: Alchemy/Scribe Scrolls
    Same as enchanting: Only needs some recipes and ingredients. Tools needed: Portable alchemists lab (or you use one in a shop for a fee), recopies and ingredients (could be dropped of enemies/found in chests OR could be gathered by a herbalist NPC).

UPDATE: New Skill: Diplomacy/Speechcraft
    Could be a skill needed to get certain NPCs to talk to your Characters or even to get the cooperation of certain quest givers/trainers. Passive skill. Not needed for story relevant dialogues, obviously!

New Skill: Enchanting
    It would also be nice to be able to enchant mundane items with magical properties by using scrolls... or another form of resource. Tools needed: Enchanters kit and spell scrolls/crystals/something like that

UPDATE: New Skill: Bartering/Haggling
    Chance to reduce prices and raise income from selling loot. Passive skill, reducing/raising prices 1% by skill point spent. Certain levels of mastery needed for certain types of vendors.

New Skill: Identification
    While identifying items with a vendor is all nice and dandy, I fell that a mage or cleric character should also be able to do that... with a chance for failure, of course. Tools needed: Identification scroll/lense. Alternative Spell: Identification

New Skills: Lock Picking, Pick Pocketing, Trap Finding/Disarming
    I don't quite know if there are plans to include traps and locked doors/chest into the game, but having them, and the corresponding skills would add a nice tough of complexity. Tools needed: Thieves tools/Lock picks. Alternative Spells: Disarm Traps, Open Locks

New Skills: Repair Weapons, Repair Armor/Shields
    With the high possibility for equipment to break right now, I think it would nice to add some repair skills for armor/shields and weapons... maybe with a trainable chance of success? Tools needed: Weaponsmith/Armorer Kit. Alternative Spell: Mend Weapons and Armor

UPDATE: UI: "Smart" Attack and Defend buttons
    Buttons for standard attack and defend should be moved out of the quickbar in the UI proper and they should use the appropriate action depending on what weapon is equipped and whether the party is in ranged or melee range.

UPDATE: UI: Lockable Quickbar
    The quickbar icons should be lockable so they can't be moved away accidentally.

Game systems: Novice Trainers
    Why are there trainers for the advanced skills but none for the novice ones? I know you can simply learn them by spending skill points, but I kinda miss the old system for learning new skills from (sometimes hidden) trainers.

Game systems: More Equipment Types
    I think the equipment option right now are kinda limited... there should be more types, like shoulders pads, leg guards, bracers, etc. We should also be able to put more rings on a character.

UPDATE: Game systems: More Utility for Hirelings
    Ties into my suggestions for me skills, certain NPCs should have additional utility, like giving skill boni and some such and the ability to use services, like repairing. In older M&Ms you even could take skill trainers with you to train in the field! They also should have their own, reduced character sheets, where there special skills can be reviewed.

UPDATE: Game systems: Resting and camping
    Resting should also be expanded upon. Examples: The possibility to get ambushed by a group of enemies during rest, depending on the highest Perception in the party, or the use of (again) utility skills while resting like scavenging for alchemical ingredients.

UPDATE: Game Systems: Weapon/Armor Materials
    Bringing back materials (wood, iron, steel, etc.) for weapons and armor would add another nice level of complexity regarding item variety.

UPDATE: Environment: Darker dungeons
    Right now, some dungeons are too bright, colorful. That would need two more new mechanics, of course...
    Race depending vision
    How about adding a slightly changed mode of vision and field of view based on the character? Like, a lower point of view, but improved lighting in darkness for dwarves, etc.
    Light sources
    Finite light sources for dungeons would also be a nice touch... torches, lanterns and light spells... for those all human parties.

UPDATE: More variety in NPC models
    Right now there are only very few different NPCs - most of the commoners, and even quest givers use the same basic male/female/guard models.

UPDATE: Day/Night cycle effecting NPCs
    Right now, outside NPCs are totally oblivious to the time of day. That should also be changed for greater immerson. Market stands should be empty at night, and NPCs shouldn't stand around 24/7.

UPDATE: Day/Night cycle effecting building
    Vendors and other houses should have "opening" hours.

That's it for now... I'll update the list as more stuff comes to mind.

Cheers!

Originally Posted by WarBaby2 Go to original post
    Now that I'm finally able to post here after a little delay, and even though it seams most of my points about the game so far have already been posted, I thought to *** some more stuff i was thinking about...

New Skills: Repair Weapons, Repair Armor/Shields
    With the high possibility for equipment to break right now, I think it would nice to add some repair skills for armor/shields and weapons... maybe with a trainable chance of success?

New Skill: Identification
    While identifying items with a vendor is all nice and dandy, I fell that a mage or cleric character should also be able to do that... with a chance for failure, of course.

New Skill: Enchanting
    It would also be nice to be able to enchant mundane items with magical properties by using scrolls... or another form of resource.

New Skills: Lock Picking, Pick Pocketing, Trap Finding/Disarming
    I don't quite know if there are plans to include traps and locked doors/chest into the game, but having them, and the corresponding skills would add a nice tough of complexity.
    They've already confirmed that there will be no miscellaneous skills in the game. This is a big step back, I definitely think LE took the lazy way out with this one.

Originally Posted by WarBaby2 Go to original post
    Novice Trainers
    Why are there trainers for the advanced skills but none for the novice ones? I know you can simply learn them by spending skill points, but I kinda miss the old system for learning new skills from (sometimes hidden) trainers.
    This is a big balance issue as well. You can even learn light/dark magic at the very beginning of the game!

Originally Posted by narupley Go to original post
    They've already confirmed that there will be no miscellaneous skills in the game. This is a big step back, I definitely think LE took the lazy way out with this one.
    It maybe confirmed, but it's certainly is not set into stone... that's what we are here for, no?

Originally Posted by narupley Go to original post
    This is a big balance issue as well. You can even learn light/dark magic at the very beginning of the game!
    Exactly... so, my suggestion stands.

Implementing something like that should be the easiest thing in the world. So all is requiered is the devs wanting to do it.

Right now, I think the game has big balances issue with aspects like repair or healing. Skills for that would solve it perfectly. And I do not see a good reason to not implement them. If there are some players that do not possess the competence to understand such skills, the game will be for them just like it is now. Just run back to town over and over and over again. If they prefer not to have such skills - the way it is now - they will like the game just as much.

And there are many players that miss the old skills, especially repair and alchemy. I think it would be a good choice to bring them back.

Originally Posted by SenfSenfSenf Go to original post
    Implementing something like that should be the easiest thing in the world. So all is requiered is the devs wanting to do it.
    And there are many players that miss the old skills, especially repair and alchemy. I think it would be a good choice to bring them back.
    Exactly, all the needed components are there: The skills, the potential trainers, etc. The only thing needed are icons for the actual skills and a few lines of code... Ok, I know it's actually a little more work then that, but still very doable.

I can really not imagine how this kind of skill should be hard to code, because it's a linear procedure. Even if the devs would want the current daylight, number of mosquitos present, age of the player, holiday of whatever godess and alcohol level of the player want to have an effect.

It's a simple "If repair button clicked and (insanely complicated chance formula here)<SkillLevel then make clicked item repaird".

imho, at least Identify and Repair skills are sorely needed. Please implement.

There is an identify spell, so identifying is not that a problem past early game (they just need to put some expert light magic in most classes so that it's accessible without having pick a specific class for the job). As for repair they could do it with a spell too like in expert fire magic.

Some of these things COULD be implemented with magic spells, but this game is called "Might AND Magic," not "Magic and Hitting Things Sometimes." Doing things the old fashioned way should be a viable option.

As I stated in my own suggestion thread, many modern dungeon crawling games have a very heavy focus on skills. Skills are a huge source of customization and strategic depth in this genre. Might and Magic X doesn't need to be dumbing down the old skill system. It needs to be expanding it! If this game wants to play like a modern dungeon crawler and SELL like a modern dungeon crawler, it's got to appeal to an audience beyond just nostalgic Might and Magic fans (who, by the way, will be alienated by an overly simplified skill system anyway). It's got to appeal to an audience that loves to invest time and thought into crafting the perfect party, and it's got to give those gamers the tools that let them feel like they're getting their hands dirty in the party creation screen. I don't want a carbon copy orc warrior class, I want my orc warrior to have arms mastery and repair his own armor. I want my dwarf to do more than be obnoxious so monsters want to hit him lots. Characters are fleshed out with skills more than any other gameplay element. An overly simple skill tree is a HUGE step in the wrong direction for this game, and I feel strongly about that.

Originally Posted by Ganson316 Go to original post
    An overly simple skill tree is a HUGE step in the wrong direction for this game, and I feel strongly about that.
    I agree, it takes away a big part of variety and complexity from a game that literally is depending on it... games like these have to shine with their possibilities! Updated the list again.