One of my BIGGEST bones to pick with FB is that it claims realism and then comes up so short in the sound department. Now, the game is NOT modable (because if it was there'd be a a kick arse sound package for it by now).

What are the chances of a reality sound pack? Can we have .50's that sound like .50's? V1710's that sound like V1710's? And all that German and Soviet stuff too.

Such a small thing...well...maybe not...but what a VAST improvement in immersion, eh?

It's that one thing that would really push FB over the top. Jane's WWII Fighters and even B17 2 had incredible sound effects and, in some ways, it really helped carry those games. The fact that FB uses "canned" sounds and is still great is a testament to the quality of the game...but it could be better.

One of my BIGGEST bones to pick with FB is that it claims realism and then comes up so short in the sound department. Now, the game is NOT modable (because if it was there'd be a a kick arse sound package for it by now).

What are the chances of a reality sound pack? Can we have .50's that sound like .50's? V1710's that sound like V1710's? And all that German and Soviet stuff too.

Such a small thing...well...maybe not...but what a VAST improvement in immersion, eh?

It's that one thing that would really push FB over the top. Jane's WWII Fighters and even B17 2 had incredible sound effects and, in some ways, it really helped carry those games. The fact that FB uses "canned" sounds and is still great is a testament to the quality of the game...but it could be better.

Right for this ! It's could be easy to improve for the community any customs sounds like on others sims (lockon is just one).

Jippo01's Avatar Senior Member
    I know that much that the sounds are synthetised on the go when you are playing the game, and that is the reason for "generic" soun in the game. All sounds are put together from somewhat "simple" samples, so even if the code was open, it would be a very difficult task to make them better.

Just my 2c.

-jippo

LeLv28 - Fighting for independency since 2002
    http://www.lelv28.com

Falkster's Ju-88 fan site:
    www.ju88.de.tf

Schalke_Kahn's Avatar Banned
    I have a real Snap crackle pop sort of problem with the sound. All sounds are there, its just there is a light distortion that I can't get rid of in FB. There is no problem like this in il2 at all. Is the sound engine so different? And that problem goes for all builds of Fogotten Battles. Everything else Is great. Althought my nvid tnt can't get me perfect mode. I wonder how good it is?

Again, just the sound is a problem.

The sound does need an overhal agree, but due to the limits of the FB sound engines not evrything we want would ever be accomplished i.e its apprantly beyond the engines capabilty to model the sound of the Rolls Royce Merlin. I find it slightly strange to swollow mind but it hink its a leg-it limitation

I hope the next sim will be more polished sound-wise... Let Oleg take his time, so we won't get frustrated at the first glance...

------------------------------------
    Online cheating kills online gaming! Death to all online cheating suckers!

Greetings to all who fly better than me, honor to all who ate my lead.

Yeah..the NEXT sim...<sigh>

Sound should be as critical as flight modeling...or at least it should be. But, one can hope.

p1ngu666's Avatar Senior Member
    yeah, most of the brit planes used the merlin, and there are still a fair amount of them flying and running.
    plus they sound bloody awsome
    better engine noise won the war tbh

So, you guys all flew in WW2 and know that FB sound is screwed for a fact?