del170109032657's Avatar Community Manager

Jackpot Challenge - August 1st (Play DoC, Discuss Strategies, and Win Seals!)

What is The Jackpot Challenge?

Competing in the Road to Paris tournament and want to experiment, but don't want it to count against your score? We're kicking off a weekly tournament here for some competitive gaming outside of Road to Paris to experiment, have fun, and WIN! The Jackpot Challenge is a weekly event that encourages players to experiment with new decks/heroes and discuss the possible strategies they create.

Your goal is to place as high as you can in the Jackpot tournament using your own version of our Deck of the Week. We highly encourage you to stream your experimenting using our new integrated Twitch.TV SDK feature! Additionally, share your results here in this thread. Did you find an awesome combination of cards that helped you place in Tier 1? Let us know!

Since this challenge is played entirely in the Jackpot tournament, this will not hurt your chances of qualifying for Road to Paris! Our August qualifier is just starting so make sure to sign up for that here as well: http://road2paris.com/register/

Are there prizes to be won?

Of course! On top of the prizes already included in playing Jackpot, we will be awarding seals to players that participate here in the Jackpot Challenge. To become eligible for extra rewards, share your experiences with the Jackpot Challenge Deck of the Week here in this thread. Here are a few examples of ways to qualify:

• Make an awesome play during one of your games? Explain how you were able to pull it off. The more detail the better!
    • Stream your Jackpot Challenge matches and post the replays here for us to see.
    • Theorycraft the Deck of the Week, come up with a sound strategy for victory, and share your results with us.

Our three favorite submissions based on decks, streams, or discussion will all earn prizes. The first place prize will be 200 Seals while the second and third place winners will both earn 100 seals each.

Will participating in The Jackpot Challenge hurt my chances of qualifying for Road to Paris?

Not at all! If anything, this could even help you out. You will be gaining practice and game knowledge by experimenting with new decks and card mixtures. Remember that jackpot tournament finishes are not counted towards your Road to Paris online qualifier, so grind out some jackpot games and share your triumphs with the community!

Deck of the Week:

Our Deck of the Week will be using the hero Acamas, Champion of the Bloodhorn. Your goal is to build a deck around Acamas and to climb as high as possible in our Jackpot tournament on Thursday, August 1st.

Remember, post your experience, decks, and stream replays here in this thread for your chance to win seals! Good luck and have fun!

cucu99's Avatar Heed the Call!
    I would like to use the integrated twitch, but sounds gone after a short time for viewers, they need to refresh what is making bad experience for them

Is possible to giveaway in own stream the prize if i win something? I don't need seals, but i would like to give it to my viewers.
    Thx for the great event!

@CuCu: If you win a prize in this event, we can always find a way to do a giveaway to someone. Mighty kind of you. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with for your deck

So as someone who has been playing for a few months but doesnt have either of those heroes.. you cannot play in any shape or form in this competition? :d I love how inclusive this is to newcomers.

Originally Posted by Sunaoimori Go to original post
    So as someone who has been playing for a few months but doesnt have either of those heroes.. you cannot play in any shape or form in this competition? :d I love how inclusive this is to newcomers.
    Just because you don't have the Champion needed for the Deck of the Week doesn't mean you can't participate! Part of the participation side is theorycrafting and discussing strategy. If someone posted a thought out deck with why they think it would work, pros/cons, etc, that would be a perfect entry. You don't need the card to be able to do that.

Anyone can participate

errr :P yea as delightful as that sounds, I dont think thats realistic for someone with limited experience

M0rw47h's Avatar Senior Member
    Okay, some theorycrafting:
    http://www.mmdoc.net/show_deck/8156/

Deck is 4/0/3, no rage creatures included, because Acamas ability synergy with them isn't really well. Everything is built around 'go fot the throat' strategy.

So... what can it offer?
    - Good pressure, DA followed by goldpile and Orc/Cyclops can be lethal and troublesome in earlygame for our opponent.
    - ManaStorms should block early mass removal like Earthquakes and Insect Swarms.
    - Broken Bridge can open row for a final attack.
    - Inherence can give us extra resources for Pao+Bridge or just more mana for final attack with Week of Mercenary.

What is missing, and why?
    - Blackskull Vultures, however I see Tainted Orcs and Cyclops better here.
    - Blackskull Spellshamsers, because they can deal with Stoneshields, Might of Nature, Str of the Sea or Earthgrasp. However they got 'poor' stats.
    - Blackskull Crushers, because its real problem for 'spell' decks.
    - Cosmic Balance vs Stall decks. Doesn't help vs non-stall decks, thats why its not here.
    All of those will make deck more inconsitent, maybe with excpetion of Vultures, however make deck stronger in specific matchups.

I've played 5 games with it during Jackpot and was #1 on Jackpot ladder after those.
    You can watch some games here, sorry for all missplays http://www.twitch.tv/l4m4b4l0n1k/b/439161715

Common sense would be to have 2 jackpot tournaments run, 1 for everybody, 1 for DotW.

GustavXIII's Avatar Senior Member
    @M0rw47h

4Da's? You lucky jerk (with all respect)

Funny that i tried Acamas a few days before in various matches, tried to build a deck around Stampede because i liked the flavour behind it. Sadly, to no avail, should have been more all-in and not so fancy. Nice build you have there! +1

I've been playing this deck for a while. So far the highest it got me is the bottom of Tier 2 partly because I've been too lazy to play on, and partly because I felt confident that I couldn't get higher. But I will try to reach tier 1 this time, although I doubt VERY much that I will succeed. I changed a bit since then - I am trying with Revised Tactics today.
    http://www.mmdoc.net/show_deck/8163/

Overall
    - It has good early pressure often also when going first. Against Necro I like playing a Goblin Scout and then a DA in front of it so his block creatures will die. This make me a bit vulnerable to Fire Bolt. Against earth magic I might be playing something else than DA, because of EQ. I guess this i logic.

Events
    - The Week of Mercs are very good for ekstra pressure and is often trickered with succes because the deck contains 37 creatures.
    - Mana storms to prevent the opponent from killing my small scumbag creatures mainly early on.
    - 1 Cosmic Balance to deal with Shaar OTK and so on (maybe 2 is needed, but that has not been my experience so far).

Creatures
    - Often you will be able to kill a creatures which seems to happen very often in turn 3 and you will be able to play Blackskull Vulture Rider (Dodo Runners). The Dodo Runners has a good synergy with sacrificial altar too.
    - You can deal a lot of surprise attack damage from Paos and Blackskull Shredders. The Scredders can even keep jumping around like a little rabies infected rabbit and give the hero more damage if you have the upper hand.
    - When I play against Stronghold I like to up my might to level 6-7 and play Blackskull Clan Warlord. Then it is easy to deal with 7 HP creatures if they try to block him. With gold pile it can be played in turn 4 already. It can really give some good pressure.

Fortunes
    - Gold piles are mostly used from start and is just rubbish later on. And when it comes to late game it will just be suicide to draw gold pile. So the revised tactics should deal with this. Revised tactics also have the purpose to get rid of some cards and make i more likely to draw quick attack creatures to give the last damage. If the opponent plays Earths Grasp it becomes very clear what to remove.
    - Sacrificial Altars is just so important and lovely card. It can do like everything. Killing nasty creatures, get damage through, playing Dodo Runners cheaper etc.
    - Broken Bridges are good to get some damage trough by moving Shredders there or playing Pao. Often the Pao+bridge+Pao combo have been very usefull.
    - Oh Strengh of the Sea you say? Well there's a lot of strong attack creatures in the deck, so the Surprise Attack fortune can often remove a creature to get the last damage through as well. And surprise attack has turned out to be very stronk with Blackskull Clan Warlord. Lovely to have him remove 1 Tainted Orc and then SA the another one.

Cards I have been thinking about to add or have already tried
    - Blood Shaman Hut. I guess these works better with Cyclopses as Lama (M0rw47h) uses. When playing with gold piles and a lot of cheap cards you need cards on your hand and Shaman Hut removes cards. But it is a good game finisher which I feel isn't needed.
    - Stampede could give the last damage as well. I am thinking about to try it out, because it is an easier way to get the last damage through. But I won't play more than 1 or 2, because I won't have dead cards late game. But then we can talk about Revised Tactics again.
    - Campfire to give more pressure. But I don't think this will help much. If I am going for a lot of might from start it will not have the same purpose.
    - Blackskull Crusher to deal with spell board wipes. It didn't want more creatures that cost more than 4 ressources, but maybe they could be changed with Blackskull Clan Warlord. I haven't tested this. But It will give much sense against Adar Malik and his Armageddon/Forbidden Flame.

I hope what I wrote makes sense. I guess there is a lot of grammar failure. Uraxor keeps telling me this. I tried to my best. ^^

Currently I only played 3 matches today in jackpot. I won all 3 so far. Opponents have been Dhamiria (noob), Kelthor (Close game) and Adar Malik (Won easily because of good rush and quick attack). And this will surely end if I get matched with Yukiko lock.

A very simple build that I think most can figure out to play