1. #1

    Tedious game mechanics you are worried about for ACIV

    After seeing the gameplay available and reading a lot of the interviews, I've got a couple of game mechanics that I worry might become "tedious." By that, I mean, repetitive and annoying. Maybe you have some as well, please share your own.

    1) Storms. I'm worried that every other time that I set sail, I'll be running into a storm. The day and night cycle for AC games have been far too quick since introduced in AC2. AC3 was notably better (another bright point for AC3) in that they seemed to take longer. But if storms occur too frequently, then you are likely to be running into storms far more than you, the player, want to play that game mechanic.

    Early in the game when your crew is low, storms will be fresh and will offer a sense of danger for some exciting gameplay. But after you've leveled up and are into your 10th hour of gameplay, storms popping up every 20-30 minutes will be horribly annoying. You won't care so much for losing crew, as acquiring new crew will be easy (which I think will end up being like florins, you'll have more than you can ever need.) Nor will it be challenging by the 4th, 5th, or 6th time you've navigated it. So it will just become a chore - when really - you'd just rather get to that island and explore that cave.

    Storms should probably be rare (much less frequent than rain or snow in AC3). And in being rare, they will still be enjoyable many many hours into the game.

    2) Combat and the 2-shot kill. The 2-shot kill scares the daylights out of me. I keep thinking about the Janisarries. In ACR, the Janissaries would step back and fire at the player who was turtling or still. It was a mechanic who's good intention was to put the player on the offensive. The result was something horribly monotonous ... and frankly, UN-FUN. While ACB or AC3's combat is much easier than Revelations, both ACB and AC3's combat is infinitely more fun. The Janisarries often led to very monotonous tedious encounters - kick, attack, rinse, repeat. Archetypes, in general, make for repetitive combat; but at least chain-killing allowed AC3 and ACB to overcome that. AC3 also had the benefit of human shields - to keep the combat flowing.

    And I think there is this very fine line - between challenging combat and easy combat. Easy combat is fun, but not as rewarding. Challenging combat is rewarding, but can be arduous and not very fun. It is such a fine line. The slightest thing can imbalance it. But challenging combat that becomes overly arduous and tiresome sucks. AC is not Dark Souls, nor should it be. And push come to shove --- I feel Ubi should err on the side of "FUN."

    thoughts or other concerns ---
    Share this post

  2. #2
    LoyalACFan's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    8,490
    1. You'll be able to fast travel anywhere you've previously been to, and by the time storms would start to get tedious, you'll have probably unlocked the whole map. So if you don't want to sail through a storm, just teleport to wherever it is you need to go. Or if you're just sailing aimlessly for the hell of it, just go around it...

    2. From what I understand, the gunner archetype is more like ACB's arquebusier than ACR's Janissary. Except in AC4, they can hopefully actually kill you. So there won't be any more of the awkward Janissary "I can't decide if I want to stab you or shoot you" fights.

    edit- and for Christ's sake, is it a ****ing crime to say something positive about AC4 around here? I mean, skepticism is justified, but not every topic has to be whining about what aspects you think will suck.
    Share this post

  3. #3
    Jexx21's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    13,222
    I wouldn't say that ACR's combat was harder than AC3's or ACB's.. it was just more drawn out.
    Share this post

  4. #4
    Originally Posted by LoyalACFan Go to original post
    1. You'll be able to fast travel anywhere you've previously been to, and by the time storms would start to get tedious, you'll have probably unlocked the whole map. So if you don't want to sail through a storm, just teleport to wherever it is you need to go. Or if you're just sailing aimlessly for the hell of it, just go around it...

    2. From what I understand, the gunner archetype is more like ACB's arquebusier than ACR's Janissary. Except in AC4, they can hopefully actually kill you. So there won't be any more of the awkward Janissary "I can't decide if I want to stab you or shoot you" fights.

    edit- and for Christ's sake, is it a ****ing crime to say something positive about AC4 around here? I mean, skepticism is justified, but not every topic has to be whining about what aspects you think will suck.
    This
    Share this post

  5. #5
    Originally Posted by LoyalACFan Go to original post
    1. You'll be able to fast travel anywhere you've previously been to, and by the time storms would start to get tedious, you'll have probably unlocked the whole map. So if you don't want to sail through a storm, just teleport to wherever it is you need to go. Or if you're just sailing aimlessly for the hell of it, just go around it...

    2. From what I understand, the gunner archetype is more like ACB's arquebusier than ACR's Janissary. Except in AC4, they can hopefully actually kill you. So there won't be any more of the awkward Janissary "I can't decide if I want to stab you or shoot you" fights.

    edit- and for Christ's sake, is it a ****ing crime to say something positive about AC4 around here? I mean, skepticism is justified, but not every topic has to be whining about what aspects you think will suck.

    With all due respect, I have said a lot of things positive about ACIV. For AC3, I'm still one of the biggest fans of it that I know. I've clocked well over a 100 hours in every AC game. Amongst my AC clan of over 70 members, I am actually the biggest fanboy of the franchise and definitely the most vocal promoter of ACIV ... by a long shot. So chill your beans.

    Two, this isn't even a "criticism." It's just a concern. And NOW is the time to voice concerns, not after the game comes out when it's too late. Sue me for wanting other people to like the game other than fanboys.

    Three, if I have to use fast travel all the time just to avoid storms --- then by definition, the system has become too tedious and "un-fun." I would like to sail around the Caribbean in my ship, not use fast travel all the time because a game mechanic becomes monotonous. It's totally legitimate to be concerned about it --- but concern is all that it is, because until we have the game, it's just conjecture.

    Likewise, combat should be fun. The need to make it difficult shouldn't outweigh the need to make it fun. I despise Brotherhood's combat because it is too easy, but it is still FAR MORE FUN than Revelation's combat - which is arduous at best.
    Share this post

  6. #6
    Megas_Doux's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    4,431
    Originally Posted by Jexx21 Go to original post
    I wouldn't say that ACR's combat was harder than AC3's or ACB's.. it was just more drawn out.
    Nah

    In AC3 you can die, I have yet to be killed in ACB, even my 5 year old niece would not die in combat LOL....
    Share this post

  7. #7
    Jexx21's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    13,222
    I'm concerned about the animations not being up to par to AC3's. I miss the way the viewpoint syncs were in AC3, but I wouldn't be surprised if they are simply making new animations for the viewpoints.

    I'm also concerned about holsters. I want there to be pistol holsters on Edward's chest and holsters on his waist, and I really hope there are two leather straps for him to sheath his cutlasses in. I'm also concerned about the cutlasses clipping through Edward's robes. I never equipped a sword or blunt/heavy weapon in AC3 during my main run because they would clip through Connor's robes and I never really saw why Connor would use those weapons anyway.

    But those are really tedious issues, just aesthetic.
    Share this post

  8. #8
    Originally Posted by Jexx21 Go to original post
    I'm concerned about the animations not being up to par to AC3's. I miss the way the viewpoint syncs were in AC3, but I wouldn't be surprised if they are simply making new animations for the viewpoints.

    I'm also concerned about holsters. I want there to be pistol holsters on Edward's chest and holsters on his waist, and I really hope there are two leather straps for him to sheath his cutlasses in. I'm also concerned about the cutlasses clipping through Edward's robes. I never equipped a sword or blunt/heavy weapon in AC3 during my main run because they would clip through Connor's robes and I never really saw why Connor would use those weapons anyway.

    But those are really tedious issues, just aesthetic.
    I agree with everything you said regarding holsters and clipping,....but do you REALLY care THAT much about the viewpoint animation?? I mean, They last like 5 seconds and there are only limited amounts of them. I would have never thought that this would be an issue :|
    Share this post

  9. #9
    Jexx21's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    13,222
    There will be at least 50 viewpoints (and that's if there's only 1 viewpoint in the cities). I'm guessing there will be over 100 viewpoints.

    Yes it matters.
    Share this post

  10. #10
    Originally Posted by luckyto Go to original post
    2) Combat and the 2-shot kill. The 2-shot kill scares the daylights out of me. I keep thinking about the Janisarries. In ACR, the Janissaries would step back and fire at the player who was turtling or still. It was a mechanic who's good intention was to put the player on the offensive. The result was something horribly monotonous ... and frankly, UN-FUN. While ACB or AC3's combat is much easier than Revelations, both ACB and AC3's combat is infinitely more fun. The Janisarries often led to very monotonous tedious encounters - kick, attack, rinse, repeat. Archetypes, in general, make for repetitive combat; but at least chain-killing allowed AC3 and ACB to overcome that. AC3 also had the benefit of human shields - to keep the combat flowing.
    You can kill streak the Janisarries as well. You just need to be good with the dodges and pay heed to when one tries to shoot you. It definitely required a bit of practice and finesse but I don't think it was hard and certainly not anymore or less repetitive compared to the combat in other AC games. The extra bit of reflexes and observation required in ACR combat is what makes it feel rewarding.

    I think in AC3 if you're fighting only Jagers you can't even start a long kill streak? I'll have to go back and experiment since I've only played the game twice.
    Share this post

Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last ►►