Rugterwyper32's Avatar Senior Member

Locations in AC4: Black Flag

Now, we've all been talking about cities and whatnot. But I think there are interesting parts about the locations we'll be seeing according to this map:

So let's see what we've got. I'll start off with Andreas Island, or as it's known now, Andros. BLATANT COPYPASTA OF WIKIPEDIA AHOY

"The island's blue holes are water-filled cave systems, which attract divers from all over the world."
    "All the main islands of the Bahamas have blue holes, but those of Andros are the best known. Andros has 178 on land with at least 50 in the sea. Blue holes can best be described as entrances to the intricate cave systems which run underneath the island and sea floor."
    "Their openings can be found among the shallow creeks, inland lakes, and the shallow banks of the Bahamas. The caves, which have developed within the Bahamian carbonate platforms, can be laterally and vertically very extensive. Lateral cave passages can extend to several kilometres and vertically may range in depth from ten to several hundred metres."

Then we proceed to Cat Island:

"Armbrister Creek flows into a clear lake called “Boiling Point” or “Boiling Hole” whose tidal conditions cause bubbles and burps, the conditions which lead to folklore of a sea monster below its surface. Today, this is a great spot to spy rays and baby sharks and numerous birds that nest along its mangrove fringe.
    Located in Bain Town is another lake. This 65 ft wide 10 ft deep lake called Mermaid Hole is where many believe a mermaid lives amongst the 4 bed holes within that lead to underground caverns and passageways.
    One of the major attractions in Cat Island Bahamas is the Big Blue Hole near ****ies Road. The hole is very deep and it has a strong undercurrents flowing into the sea. The locals believed that a monster said to live in Big Blue Hole located near Orange Creek, just off of ****ies Road is said to devour horses. This deep blue hole has strong undersea currents that flow through its caverns linking to the sea, where many objects like dead farm animals tossed into the lake ended up. This folklore still scares local fisherman from venturing too far in this freshwater lake."

I can't find much on Crooked Island, but it seems it had plantations set in it in the late 18th century, so maybe we'll have a Plantation to loot there.

Cayo Island should be more like Cayo IslandS, but I suspect the base will be Cayo Coco. Why?

"Cayo Coco and its neighboring Cayo Guillermo, are the setting for Ernest Hemingway's "Islands In The Stream and "The Old Man and the Sea".

Used as a hideout by buccaneers in the early colonial period, the island was home to a small settlement of fishermen and charcoal producers until 1955 when the freshwater supply was exhausted and the market for charcoal ended with the spread of electrification after the Cuban Revolution. A causeway was built to the Cuban mainland in 1988, beginning the era of resort construction. The first resort, Guitart Cayo Coco (now the Blau Colonial), opened in 1993.[3] The Cuban exile group Alpha 66 machine gunned the resort in 1994 and 1995, although there were no injuries."

Then we have Juventud Island, another fun one.

"Pirate activity in and around the area left its trace in English literature. Both Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson and Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie are rooted in part on accounts of the island and its native and pirate inhabitants, as well as long dugout canoes (which were often used by pirates as well as indigenous peoples) and the American crocodile (Crocodylus acutus) on the island."

Then we move on to Cayman Island, which is clearly based on Grand Cayman rather than the smaller ones (even though they might be among the 50 locations)

"Watersports such as scuba diving and snorkeling are among the most popular activities on Grand Cayman as the island is known for its coral reefs and underwater sea walls along with a number of shipwrecks.

As well, Grand Cayman Island also has a number of natural attractions: the blow holes in the East End district, the Mastic Trail that runs north to south through the center of the island, Hell in the West Bay, and the acclaimed Queen Elizabeth II Botanic Park, to name a few."

Then we have Tortuga, which seems like an obvious location for the 50 and could probably house a nice tobacco plantation to loot and maybe a fort. And got nothing for south Florida other than the Spanish Armada shipwreck

roostersrule2's Avatar Senior Member
    Tourist Creed IV.

AC2_alex's Avatar Member
    The returning Assassin's Tomb-esque missions seem colorful and promising based on your research, Rugterwyper32. Also, it looks like there is some opportunity for easter eggs in this game because of all the pirate myths and folk lore. Kind of like the Frontiersman missions in AC3.

Originally Posted by roostersrule2 Go to original post
    Tourist Creed IV.
    Hey, that's one of the things I like about the series. Some neat historical tourism, yo.

Originally Posted by AC2_alex Go to original post
    The returning Assassin's Tomb-esque missions seem colorful and promising based on your research, Rugterwyper32. Also, it looks like there is some opportunity for easter eggs in this game because of all the pirate myths and folk lore. Kind of like the Frontiersman missions in AC3.
    Agreed. There's all this potential considering the legends behind some of them or the stories that some of these islands inspired, and I think it could be really interesting if they exploit it fully. Cat Island was the one that sounded the most interesting out of these, and then there's the massive caves under Andreas Island which could be really fun. And Juventud Island really intrigues me seeing the stories it has inspired. Honestly, there's a lot of potential here.

LoyalACFan's Avatar Senior Member
    Those four locations in the image have got to be the new version of Captain Kidd missions.

Originally Posted by Rugterwyper32 Go to original post
    Hey, that's one of the things I like about the series. Some neat historical tourism, yo.

Agreed. There's all this potential considering the legends behind some of them or the stories that some of these islands inspired, and I think it could be really interesting if they exploit it fully. Cat Island was the one that sounded the most interesting out of these, and then there's the massive caves under Andreas Island which could be really fun. And Juventud Island really intrigues me seeing the stories it has inspired. Honestly, there's a lot of potential here.
    Thank you!!! This is exactly what I love about AC too. Now I'm gonna find out about some more locations on the other map

WIKI COPYPASTA!!! Matanzas is called the City of Bridges, for the seventeen bridges that cross the three rivers that traverse the city (Rio Yumuri, San Juan, and Canimar). For this reason it was referred to as the "Venice of Cuba." Ah beautiful. Oh and it was known for its sugar plantations...

Castillo de Jagua was erected to protect the bay Bahia de Cienfuegos from pirates. Templar lair?

LoyalACFan's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by captin_qwark7 Go to original post
    Thank you!!! This is exactly what I love about AC too. Now I'm gonna find out about some more locations on the other map

WIKI COPYPASTA!!! Matanzas is called the City of Bridges, for the seventeen bridges that cross the three rivers that traverse the city (Rio Yumuri, San Juan, and Canimar). For this reason it was referred to as the "Venice of Cuba." Ah beautiful. Oh and it was known for its sugar plantations...
    The cathedral there (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathedr...meo_(Matanzas)) would have been under construction at the time of the game. Could make for a fun linear free-running mission...?

Originally Posted by LoyalACFan Go to original post
    The cathedral there (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathedr...meo_(Matanzas)) would have been under construction at the time of the game. Could make for a fun linear free-running mission...?
    Well done good sir! Probably not playable but it sounds very promising:

ROATAN, HONDURAS

Surrounded by narrow reefs and shallow channels inaccessible to merchant ships, Roatan became the base of hundreds of pirates in the 17th century, including buccaneer legends Laurens de Graff and Henry Morgan. From here, they staged attacks on Spanish galleons carrying Asian porcelain and Peruvian silver. Rumor has it that treasure hunters unearthed part of Henry Morgan’s cache here in the 1960s—and that there’s more to be found.

I just hope that the towns ip that you come across are more unique, fun, and bustling than the ones in the frontier. They just seemed so empty and boring. I hope that each location you come across has its own unique npcs, characters, and side quests.

Originally Posted by LoyalACFan Go to original post
    Well, the Havana Cathedral wasn't even in construction at the time this game takes place, so hey.
    They did mention, though, that you'd be able to explore parts of the big islands (Cuba and Jamaica), so I wouldn't be surprised to see Matanzas having a plantation you can raid and maybe the Cathedral as a viewpoint.