Hunting in AC4

We already know that there is land based hunting and naval harpooning. However, I see a slight issue with the land hunting.

In AC3, Connor had his bow and arrow, which was the main hunting tool. If you used a gun, the pelt would be damaged and have less value.

My concern is that it doesn't seem that the bow will return in this game. So what can Edward use in hunting? Gun? No, because that will ruin the pelt. Blow pipe?.....I guess.... But it seems really unrealistic and inefficient.

I really hope that they bring back the bow as an optional weapon...specifically for hunting. It is possible that Edward can switch out his "back" weapons. Like, he could switch between a blowpipe, bow and arrow, and blunderbuss. I have seen screenshots of him without anything on his back, so it is possible that he can also de equip it. Whatever happens, I just hope that there is a realistic and effective way to hunt land prey.

lothario-da-be's Avatar Senior Member
    Maybe hunting will be more stealth orientated and we will have to use our hidden blade? idk, this is something i am wondering too. btw, wich hunteble animals are their in the Caribean?

cmrggamer's Avatar Member
    You could use the Tomahawk and blade to hunt as well, drop down on unsuspecting animals from the trees.

I think there's a harpoon for whales. I'm not really sure what other kind of game you'd find on islands and in the cities.

montagemik's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by Wolfmeister1010 Go to original post
    We already know that there is land based hunting and naval harpooning. However, I see a slight issue with the land hunting.

In AC3, Connor had his bow and arrow, which was the main hunting tool. If you used a gun, the pelt would be damaged and have less value.

My concern is that it doesn't seem that the bow will return in this game. So what can Edward use in hunting? Gun? No, because that will ruin the pelt. Blow pipe?.....I guess.... But it seems really unrealistic and inefficient.

I really hope that they bring back the bow as an optional weapon...specifically for hunting. It is possible that Edward can switch out his "back" weapons. Like, he could switch between a blowpipe, bow and arrow, and blunderbuss. I have seen screenshots of him without anything on his back, so it is possible that he can also de equip it. Whatever happens, I just hope that there is a realistic and effective way to hunt land prey.

I'm fairly certain 'Blowpipes' are actually used for hunting - by jungle tribes. makes sense to sedate prey rather than waste energy chasing them through humid jungles or at high altitudes.
    Hit an animal once with an arrow & fail to kill it - wasted time & effort . Blowpipe , 1 shot & the prey is tagged - isn't going far. Seems More than realistic / sensible & efficient to me.

I think there's a harpoon for whales
    The harpoon will be used for other animals as well, not only whales.

I'm fairly certain 'Blowpipes' are actually used for hunting - by jungle tribes
    You're right. In fact, you will need to catch poisonous frogs to extract the venom and make darts for your blowpipe. Cool!

Escappa's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by Cornik22 Go to original post
    You're right. In fact, you will need to catch poisonous frogs to extract the venom and make darts for your blowpipe. Cool!
    Are you sure?

roostersrule2's Avatar Senior Member
    Wait wouldn't the blow pipe poison put poison through the animal though and when you ate it you'd get sick?

pacmanate's Avatar Senior Member
    I want to carry a harpoon gun on my back at all times and hunt humans.

roostersrule2's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by pacmanate Go to original post
    I want to carry a harpoon gun on my back at all times and hunt humans.
    And Nicholas Cage.

Originally Posted by roostersrule2 Go to original post
    Wait wouldn't the blow pipe poison put poison through the animal though and when you ate it you'd get sick?
    Maybe they use a dose that is fatal to the animals but are only enough to give humans a belly ache? or maybe the poison doesn't really ruin the meat as much as we think. :|