OMG the free running is so bad in AC3/AC4!!!

So I was playing AC4 and I think I figured out what is so bad about the free running.... but before I begin.....
    In AC3 I hated the free running it felt slow and it felt like I had no control over the character. However I heard about people blaming the cities, so I did too. Then they said they would make havana as a tribute to AC2 cities and I thought that would make it fun again, but I was disappointed, I automatically blamed the city but after playing for a while I realize it's not the cities fault it's the actual mechanic itself.

Before AC3 came out I remember them advertising how they made the new system and how the kind of animated and scripted every single move of Connor, and at the time I thought that was amazing. But now I realize by them scripting every move it took away the Co tool we had on the character. It is why he would always do random things and I wouldn't plan where I'm going I would just go forward and he would follow. Before this it felt more natural and flowing and more like my own path. However that isn't the only problem. The aanimations for when they are running and jumping are too flashy.. They were a lot of simpler before which actually felt better to play with. I would get the job done and it would feel fun. However now I have to wait 5 seconds of his jumping animation... It just felt a lot of faster and fluid before... I doubt this will be fixed but it's just a really big problem for me... It literally made me take out AC4. This is a similar thing with the combat in AC4 the animations are too long and flashy and they take away from the immersion.

Aphex_Tim's Avatar Senior Member
    It's rumored that Unity will go back to giving you more control again. At least judging from those early screenshots.
    Could be that they've revamped combat as well. I guess all will be clear next week!

Honestly, having run around recently in Florence in AC2, despite having some more control than in AC3/4, the precision of movement kinda sucks there as well. I had lots of times when Ezio didn't jump where I thought he would, when he wouldn't want to climb some part diagonally until moving back and forth a bit when he suddenly can climb a part diagonally from the same spot, etc. And that's despite having more control.

Originally Posted by Farlander1991 Go to original post
    Honestly, having run around recently in Florence in AC2, despite having some more control than in AC3/4, the precision of movement kinda sucks there as well. I had lots of times when Ezio didn't jump where I thought he would, when he wouldn't want to climb some part diagonally until moving back and forth a bit when he suddenly can climb a part diagonally from the same spot, etc. And that's despite having more control.
    That is true and I agree with that but even so it was still 100 times more fun than in AC3/4... I'd rather have more control then play like this...

Markaccus's Avatar Senior Member
    The free running in AC games has always been (for me anyway) a side quest called "Assassins random adventures up a tree/wall"

Originally Posted by Farlander1991 Go to original post
    How often did that affect you? If I'm understanding you, that only occurs on rare occasions like the San Marco campinille and a few of the Borgia towers.

JustPlainQuirky's Avatar Senior Member
    I hope one day AC's free running will give you as much precision control as Shadow of the Collosus. No gravity magically pulling me to the right spot. I wanna aim myself, dang it.

jayjay275's Avatar Senior Member
    I thought the parkour was decent, but I wouldn't say it is at all terrible.

Megas_Doux's Avatar Senior Member
    No problems EVER for me. However That DOES NOT mean the system has to remain stagnant, the whole combat/navigation system needs to evolve.

phoenix-force411's Avatar Senior Member
    ACIII's was not bad at all. Sure, it can pretty annoying when the character jumps in a different path or targets a different object to jump towards, but there were more parkour elements in 3 than there were in 4. 4 had dull combat and parkour.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last ►►