NorsemanXXI's Avatar Member
    Originally Posted by reapersaurus Go to original post
    It's like the devs of DoC looked at MtG Online and said, "Hey! There's people spending tons of money for virtual cards, we can do the same thing with DoC!"
    I'm not going to get into your whole reply as I think those issues have been discussed over and over and the devs already have the community feedback about it

I just wanted to say that comparing this game with MTGO is really unfair. The amount of money you need to invest in MMDoC to play at high level is a joke in comparison to what you need to play at the same level in MTGO. I'm glad MMDoC exists because I would never play MTG/MTGO again, it's just to expansive to play at high level.

Like most people I agree that MMDoC needs a trade system to balance the randomness of the packs but that is it. This game is far from expensive in comparison with other TCGs.

C4r-n4ge's Avatar DoC Moderator
    Reapersaurus....

....most people don't play ccg's.... and so what? We are playing ccg's...

You can't compare DoC to Mtg in each aspect because Mtg have over 20 of history and expereince on market and DoC started it's history around 7-8 months ago (Open Beta start).
    Competetive play in most well known ccg's was never cheap... please look how much you have to spend to buy cards (if you buy singles) for just one tier1 deck in ccg's like Mtg or WoW tcg... a lot...
    Here you have the opportunity to get all the cards you want just by playing and winning a lot - it's your choice....

DoC is not perfect yet - I agree it has many flaws but Devs know about them and are trying to fix them constantly. Apart from it's flaws it's the best ccg on f2p online market and surely deserves to give it a chance and....more time to become even better game.

NorsemanXXI's Avatar Member
    This kind of discussions appear almost every week, several times per week. I think that shows how passionate people are about this game. People just get frustrated because they want to access certain cards and they are not able to do it because there is no trade system. I truly believe that this kind of feature will turn the tides of this game for the better.

Originally Posted by reapersaurus Go to original post
    quoted for truth.

Most of the people posting on here have NO CLUE how the game plays for new players nowadays.
    They played during a different time.
    Yet, they expect to lord their experience over everyone and say their opinions are absolute, because they've got all the powerful cards, yadda yadda yadda.

Well, guess what, old veterans?
    You can't say say squat in this case, because - and listen up really hard on this part -
    you didn;t start playing DoC after April.
    Therefore, all your vaunted "experience" counts for nothing in this context.

The OP is absolutely right in everything he said.
    The are HUGE problems with this game, and they ARE going to force the game to not be as popular as it could be.
    It has strong mechanics and compelling gameplay, but is fatally flawed to only appeal to HARDCORE collectible gamers because its collection structure and way to acquire cards is hopelessly ineffficient.
    It will never reach critical mass with new (more casual) gamers because of exactly what the OP is saying, and all the veterans are ignoring.

Listen up :
    Most people don't like playing a game where they are matched up against people who have 10 times more cards than they do.
    Most people don't like putting their time and money into a game, and then getting very little back from it. (so many packs give absolute crap, and bad distribution makes commons and uncommons almost unobtainable)
    Most people don't like putting money into a game that is legally unsellable.
    Most people don't like being charged as much for virtual cards as they do for real physical copies of cards.

It's like the devs of DoC looked at MtG Online and said, "Hey! There's people spending tons of money for virtual cards, we can do the same thing with DoC!" without realizing that MtG does so because of its incredible history, its connection to physical cards and events, and the incredible variety of cards/meta/decks/strategies/etc. DoC devs seem to think they can get all the plusses/benefits/upcharges of MtG Online without providing almost any of the gameplay that MtG Online provides.

News to devs:
    You cannot charge premium prices for a low-budget, flawed game.
    Until you realize you have priced yourself out of the casual market and lower your prices, you will be forever stuck in your small, ultra-hardcore-player niche and will not expand much beyond what you are now.
    What's your Facebook posting like?
    How many comments and views do you get for your updates? (psst - I've looked, and it's not pretty)
    That's an indicator of how little buzz and numbers of followers you have.

I agree with the OP and the quote above and I've posted things fairly similar to this in the past.Until this game introduces features that allow for the acquisition of singles and resolves a few of the other nagging issues, I won't spend another dime. I regret the $90 I spent on 6000 seals. If the producers of the game don't make some future commitments along these lines, Hearthstone and Hex are going to crush this very great game that the developers have worked very hard on.

Originally Posted by Haderach_1976 Go to original post
    I agree with the OP and the quote above and I've posted things fairly similar to this in the past.Until this game introduces features that allow for the acquisition of singles and resolves a few of the other nagging issues, I won't spend another dime. I regret the $90 I spent on 6000 seals. If the producers of the game don't make some future commitments along these lines, Hearthstone and Hex are going to crush this very great game that the developers have worked very hard on.
    I expect hex to be garbage from what I saw on their kickstarter. Hearthstone might be good though depending on how activision blizzard handles it. Also that poster your quoting is an idiot. Premium prices? Lets see it averages out to about $2.00 a pack when you buy them. Now last I checked MtG packs are almost $4.00 each now days. Of course if you don't get what you want you can try to trade/sell it. You are also comparing a 20 year old game. (I started playing it in 96) with a 8 month old game. Why don't you back track and look at the BASE set and first expansion from magic. I can tell you cause I played in those days that there was not this "huge variety" you speak of. Now there was more variety then there is in this, but part of that is due to the restrictions of spell schools and stuff for your heroes. So its more of a design choice then an inherent flaw.

That being said, I find the game enjoyable. I have been playing for 3 weeks 1 day, So I understand the frustrations that can occur sometimes when you first start a new game. I did my research before starting and chose necro and bought Severed fates deck to give me a start with my first set of seals. This allowed me to create a fun and competitive (in the sub 1000 bracket) deck to start getting my cards with. Of course I make good money at my job so I have chosen to invest about 9000 seals of my money into the game after the first week. So obviously I accelerated my growth with that. (most of that was spent on the void rising after I got my base set somewhat built up)

I am able to play alot though while watching tv, or at work since I have an Ipad and a pc. I am currently lvl 43 and hoarding seals for the expansion on the 28th. I am well on track to have earned enough seals to have 4 boxes on release day. As you can see, like with any CCG if you put in the time/effort/money you can and will be successful at building your cards up.

Now that being said. I am a strong advocate for some form of trade/market system. I believe if they can find a fair way to do this, that does not affect the bottom line profits of the game too adversely that they will add such a feature. At this point I feel I have invested sufficent time/money in the game to start slowly closing the gap with the players who started 8 months ago. I don't anticipate having to spend much more money at this point as I should be able to earn what I need now. Though I am not adverse to the option of treating it like an mmo and once a month maybe buying 1200 or so seals if theres something I really want. After all I payed wow 15 a month for 6 years. A few dollars spent on entertainment is nothing. Hell I spent more then that today just going to see Iron Man 3 (was pretty good). So as with everything in life, money is situational, you may not all be Single males who make 45k a year. (which really isnt much money compared to lots of people but its more then enough to support my life style)

Anyways good luck with your game choices. I will try Hex when it releases and same for hearthstone. I have severe doubts about the MMO/TCG hybrid that Hex is attempting though. Afterall ontop of Card Rarity you will have to deal with Equipment rarity for your hero as well.

The equipment aspect of Hex is only applicable to the PVE experience (dungeons / raids). 1 v 1 PVP type combat as well as draft mode will not utilize equipment. I don't have any expectations for Hex either way, but it is a rather bold idea that will be interesting to watch pan out. Their kickstarter.com page is going crazy though, they have $456,000 in pledges in 7 days - going to be a fun one to watch. It's nice to see they will have an Auction House and open / direc

I do agree with OP to some extend, it is often times frustrating to be matched against 200+ higher elo players or just someone who's lower level than you and got very lucky with rare or epic cards (while you have none).

That's one issue. Another one is not getting enough cards for your starting Faction, at least a vast majority of the time.

I'm also a little concerned for the game's future, especially looking at Hearthstone, in terms of all the small details that make the game much more enjoyable visually.

Card attack effects, spell effects, heroes throwing an audio line at the beginning of the battle are things that I personally lack in this game. My belief is that those small bits could make the game much more dynamic visually.

DoC is definitely the best card game out there at the moment, in my humble opinion at least. It has it's atmosphere, very well card artworks (I hope those will be enriched in more details as time passes, though) and seems deep enough, at least from my 8th level point of view so far.

However, the game is lacking qutie heavily in terms of competitive play or marketing. Seeing the videos for the Hex game, I'm even more afraid for the game's longevity and overall success in the long run.

Nowadays, you need to ensure your card game has:
    - great gameplay
    - many, many competitive options (tournaments etc.)
    - is VERY easy to get into for a newcomer (lots of tips and information available everywhere, you don't want a new player to be turned off)
    - rich visuals (by that I don't meant a CRY-engine just, you know, some neat card attack animations)
    - good interactivity between other players within the game (here you can basically add friends and that's it, not to mention people only do that for the achievement, which is super-bad)
    - this means things like > trading cards between players, being able to view each other's decks (in some way at least), not to mention something as simple as the ability to chat in game outside of dueling. Let's be real, almost no one has their Uplay launcher running simultaneously with DoC just in order to talk with one another.

While the game has great gameplay and artwork, it's lacking other aspects. I've learned about the game only around a week ago and boy was I sadly surprised that there aren't many viewers on Twitch.tv for it 4 months after the release (or however much time has passed).

The last issue is that, currently, the only customizable thing in DoC are the cards themselves. Hex is said to bring an RPG element that seems much more wider than DoC has. Leveling, sure, but they also have dungeons, talents and... items, if I'm not wrong. All this amounts to a simply much richer gameplay.

DoC has one great advantage over Hearthstone and Hex - it was first such well-developed game that has came out recently, it has a decent playerbase. While that is great, devs need to work on the other aspects in order not to lose the audience to the two games mentioned above,
    which I like to believe will not happen.

As much as I really, really still like the game so far, it feels a little as the design was approached from the back end somewhat.

Depending on how those other two games will look like on release, there's a good chance that I may leave this game for one of the other two. This isn't a threat, Ubi could care less for a single player like me, but my voice remains something to be considered, as I'm sure many here can relate to what I've said, at least in some aspects.

So come on devs, it's either now or never! - and I'm afraid this is more true than we all would like it to be.

Aza404's Avatar DoC Shoutcaster
    Hi guys,

First of all, this is not the proper sub-forum for this: please use the "Card Balancing / Feature Discussion" next time.
    Secondly, similar threads on the different topics mentioned already exist: make sure you use the Search option.

And lastly...
    I can't answer most of the questions and topics yet as nothing is official.
    In just under 2 weeks, we should be rolling out a huge expansion with loads of new features. Please be patient and wait for this as it may have a big impact on some of the topics here.

In the meantime, closing this.

Best,
    Aza