Redwine's Avatar Senior Member
    We need a more real method to take ranges on the sim.

I has not enought technical information about those WW2 german periscopes, but they ues as american a Stadimeter to measure vertical angles.

Here you can se how it works..........

German Stadimeter

Pictures from Eaj13, thanks Eaj !!

Later, i read they uses a more advanced double image telemeter. I have no info about it.

I do not know about Telemeter, but a Stadimeter is an easy to do.............

It is present in SH2, in the right grip of the periscope, the right hadle.........

The problem is it is so imprecise, because it go from -20 to + 80 degrees.........

Its sacle is 100 degrees wide................

But if can have the same feature you can see in the right handle of the SH2 periscope, but measuring only from -1 down, up to +3 degrees up, (4degrees).........with about 200 pixels by degree............ ( 800 pixels ) into a vertical strip of 1024 pixels.............

We can have a well precise stadimeter when move the periscope view up and down, without the complex feature of the double image...........

( I was not able to reduce this range from 100 deg. to 4 deg. in SH2, may be it is into the program code)

I am sure it is not complex, it is done in SH2, and may be a step up in reality simulation...............

Stadimeter, Telemeter, and a big Bearing chart is needed (I made a 2048x32 Bearing chart for SH2)

Regards, Red.

The Ancient History of the Submarine
    "Subgenesis"

Manual TDC
    "HTDC Tutorial"

[This message was edited by Redwine on Thu August 05 2004 at 06:45 AM.]

We need a more real method to take ranges on the sim.

I has not enought technical information about those WW2 german periscopes, but they ues as american a Stadimeter to measure vertical angles.

Here you can se how it works..........

German Stadimeter

Pictures from Eaj13, thanks Eaj !!

Later, i read they uses a more advanced double image telemeter. I have no info about it.

I do not know about Telemeter, but a Stadimeter is an easy to do.............

It is present in SH2, in the right grip of the periscope, the right hadle.........

The problem is it is so imprecise, because it go from -20 to + 80 degrees.........

Its sacle is 100 degrees wide................

But if can have the same feature you can see in the right handle of the SH2 periscope, but measuring only from -1 down, up to +3 degrees up, (4degrees).........with about 200 pixels by degree............ ( 800 pixels ) into a vertical strip of 1024 pixels.............

We can have a well precise stadimeter when move the periscope view up and down, without the complex feature of the double image...........

( I was not able to reduce this range from 100 deg. to 4 deg. in SH2, may be it is into the program code)

I am sure it is not complex, it is done in SH2, and may be a step up in reality simulation...............

Stadimeter, Telemeter, and a big Bearing chart is needed (I made a 2048x32 Bearing chart for SH2)

Regards, Red.

"Subgenesis"

Manual TDC
    "HTDC Tutorial"

[This message was edited by Redwine on Thu August 05 2004 at 06:45 AM.]

i wonder how effective they were at diffentiating between 100m range increments.

realistically you need to be able to estimate ranges between 300m and 2000m. but more likely 300m and 1000m.

I read in real life U-Boote Kapitans attempt to make shots as near as posible, but more long range shot was managed too.....

If you input the TDC with accurate dat, you can make shots at more range.........

Look at the Manual TDC Tutorial at my signature.

To input accurate data into the TDC, we need accurate periscope and range measurements.......

"Subgenesis"

Manual TDC
    "HTDC Tutorial"

RHYLASS's Avatar Member
    Good post Redwine.

Regards
    Dietger

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dietger:
    Good post Redwine.

Regards
    Dietger<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tanks a lot for comment Dietger.

I made many attempts to incorporte it in SH2, but unsucessful........

I was not able to find how to put limits of degees at the vertical strip..........

It always moves from -20 up to + 80 degrees........ and this fact makes we need a really giant monster vertical strip, with a size wich can not be managed for any actual video card...........

In example at 200 pixel by degree, (-20 to + 80)...100 degrees needs 20,000 pixels..........

If I can be able to limit it to (-1 to +3) 4 degees....... 800 pixels..... managed well by all actual video cards..........

To put limit between -1 to + 3 degrees may be hardcoded in the program..........

This is a very easy way to give us a simple STADIMETER in SH3......... teh Team can do it with no problem....... If we request it and if they listen to us............

And this feature, just simple and sure included in the game, if is limited in movement to -1 up to +3 degrees in example, can be a step foward....... more ...... a jump foward in hardcore simulation of reality ....and real Range measurement methods............

"Subgenesis"

Manual TDC
    "HTDC Tutorial"

And...what ?

Still with no screens about periscope, bearing charts, and range measurement......

Put some screen please.........

"Subgenesis"

Manual TDC
    "HTDC Tutorial"

Yep manual TDC support is crucial for all hardcore subsimmers. Although auto TDC is nice to use as well. Good way to loose some agresion :-)

Lets hope your manual TDC modding skills are not needed in SHIII ;-)

Drebbel

The Submarines of the Royal Netherlands Navy 1906 - 2004
    http://www.DutchSubmarines.com/
    We have a NEW FORUM:
    http://www.dutchsubmarines.com/phpbb2/

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Redwine:
    And...what ?

Still with no screens about periscope, bearing charts, and range measurement......

Put some screen please......... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Regarding the scope:
    Rock & Roll

Drebbel

The Submarines of the Royal Netherlands Navy 1906 - 2004
    http://www.DutchSubmarines.com/
    We have a NEW FORUM:
    http://www.dutchsubmarines.com/phpbb2/

Thanks a lot Drebbel..........!

Bearing charts looks enough precise.......I am not sure, that is a screen shot but may be about 10 pixels by degree, the same of HTDC Mod......

No Stadimeter at any place...... bad, it is simple feature present in SH2 in the periscope grip.......

We will be enforced to use the reticle to measure "mast head angles" another time.........

Looks so good, with some little more marks in the reticle, we will manage a good manual shooting........

Now we need to see some TDC INPUT INSTRUMENTS, to watch how much precise they are.........

Thanks a lot Drebbel..........

"Subgenesis"

Manual TDC
    "HTDC Tutorial"