I thought I would bump this up, does anyone know how to password the dedicated server when starting it with HL? Will HL do it?

Troll2k's Avatar Senior Member
    Yes you can.The answer is in the console commands.
    Check the readme .

Bonehead

I'm not sure if the answer is in the read me but I figured it out awhile back and unlike some non-helpful people I'll post the answer here.

And no, H/L will not p/w the game. You have to start the game; then in the console, type "server PWD <whatever you want the password to be>"

If you launch through UBI, ubi will p/w the launch but not the game. If someone has a utility to bypass UBI, they can still join your game. But you can always p/w it after it starts using the console and typing the "server PWD <> command.

TinMan

Thanks for that fella! I did read the read me and didnt see it in there Ill go and take another look before I flame Troll

Will that command not work if I enter it in the server.cmd file (I guess you tried already).

We are running FBDaemon, do you know if that will loose the password when it changes maps? Maybe I could add the pass to the FBD files somewhere?

Troll2k's Avatar Senior Member
    I am sorry I should have been more specific.

I said it involved the use of console commands.

Also from the readme:

Type

? or help - displays a list of available commands.

Then typing "help server" gives you the answer.

Also remember the console commands are case sensitive.

Although I do not run FBD(so I can not vouch that it works) this was also in the readme:

All the commands may be included into a script

Never tried it in the server.cmd

I'm sure it'd work though

I doubt that a map rotation would affect it.

TinMan

Yes, I believe you can have the server.cmd assign the password. In my (somewhat limited) experience, having the server.cmd assign a password on startup neither affects, nor is affected by, a map rotation. Also, you can password protect your server from the in-game chat by sending console commands to the server (I believe you must have "superuser" rights to send console commands). Note the double "less than sign" syntax.

<<server PWD mypassword
    recommend you send "TO Server"

Also, see the GreaterGreen website for a complete list of client and superuser commands.

Thanks for the help guys.

I finaly got around to testing this today

It works; if you have a dedicated server and you want to password it just add

server PWD yourpasshere to the top line of the server.cmd file.

Dedicated gaming www.battle-fields.com home of UK-DEDICATED, why not make it your home too?