LMikeF's Avatar Junior Member

Barely Readable Texts

I had already complained about this when Revelations came but it seems it has gotten even worse in AC III. A lot of the texts in the game (shawn's history bits for example) are ridiculously small and a pain to read, even on hd televisions.

Even worse are some of the subtitles (for example at the beggining of sequence 4 when Connor's mum is talking) which are often white lettering on brightly colloured backgrounds, making it near impossible to read (and really impossible when Connor's mum talks).

Can something be done about this please? It seems highly impractical to have so many hard to read texts on a game that requires you to read so much.

THanks and bb.

montagemik's Avatar Senior Member
    This is a complete shot in the dark here - I'm only guessing mind you .........................

But have you considered the step of 'Adjusting your HDTV Brightness/ Contrast / Gamma settings . ?
    Or adjusting the RGB - Full / limited setting in PS3 Display settings . ?

Can be useful when dealing with lots of bright white shading & can be much quicker than devs making a patch for this .

BATISTABUS's Avatar AC Expert
    I agree that it's virtually impossible to read the text on a CRT, but on an HD TV I've never had a problem.

TheHumanTowel's Avatar Senior Member
    I had this problem as well. It's ridiculous how difficult it is to read. Especially when it wasn't a problem at all in past games.

Bastiaen's Avatar Senior Member
    HD + Sit closer

LoyalACFan's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by Bastiaen Go to original post
    HD + Sit closer
    I have a 60" flatscreen and I run my PS3 on HDMI, and it's still kind of annoying to read the database entries. On a non-HD screen, you might as well forget it.

Originally Posted by LMikeF Go to original post
    I had already complained about this when Revelations came but it seems it has gotten even worse in AC III. A lot of the texts in the game (shawn's history bits for example) are ridiculously small and a pain to read, even on hd televisions.

Even worse are some of the subtitles (for example at the beggining of sequence 4 when Connor's mum is talking) which are often white lettering on brightly colloured backgrounds, making it near impossible to read (and really impossible when Connor's mum talks).

Can something be done about this please? It seems highly impractical to have so many hard to read texts on a game that requires you to read so much.

THanks and bb.
    I hate reading period, let alone in games. As for the subtitles..I don't get at all....why the F does 99% of italian get translated in the animus but not native american?!

Originally Posted by LoyalACFan Go to original post
    I have a 60" flatscreen and I run my PS3 on HDMI, and it's still kind of annoying to read the database entries. On a non-HD screen, you might as well forget it.
    I'm on a 50" 3D plasma ..........& honestly don't have a problem reading any of the AC3 database or screen texts .

Originally Posted by STDlyMcStudpants Go to original post
    I hate reading period, let alone in games. As for the subtitles..I don't get at all....why the F does 99% of italian get translated in the animus but not native american?!

possibly because there's far less detail known about Native american dialects - many different acceptable ways to pronounce the same word ..............More difficult for the animus to accurately translate every phrase or meaning 'possibly' . .
    Or the devs wanted to emphasise the Native culture being very different from western european culture ...........either reason works for me .

LoyalACFan's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by STDlyMcStudpants Go to original post
    Because Italian is still spoken by over 50 million people, whereas the Iroquois dialects are, for all intents and purposes, dead languages. The Animus could feasibly have decent translation software for Italian, but it would take some seriously specialized knowledge to come up with something to translate Connor's language on the spur of the moment.