Assassin's creed 4 language filter?

EDIT 2:

Please argue logically and on point.
    Again, please answer the following:

Why did Gears of War and Call of Duty add filters to their games?
    Why is an optional filter a negative addition to the game?
    How would this prevent higher sale rates?

-Floydmerry

EDIT:: I appreciate Jack_Pirate's post, and I think he has the idea that making the option available is a positive thing.

Haha, I saw a post that suggested I have the same tendencies as an agoraphobic. No, hahaha I definitely leave my house, and I am very much aware that swearing and profanity are rampant outside these four walls. I wanted to give an example in the OP, and that may have been a mistake. What I am trying to stress is that it would be great if I could reduce the amount of profanity that is in my life. I personally find it offensive, but I know that not every one does which is why I'm not flaming for UBI to remove it all. I believe a proactive step for the series would be to add an optional filter which would remove profanity.

As far as the last two games, revelations and AC III, Desmond is launching some F bombs haha. AC III most every one expect Connor, who still does a time or two, is throwing some muck around. AC I didn't have nearly as much as I recall, and that was part of my point: the scripted profanity is increasing exponentially.

Remember to stay on topic. The question is do you think it's a good idea for UBI to add an optional filter to their games?

Thanks for reading - Floyd

ORIGINAL POST

Hey guys, I posted a thread in the watch dogs forum also so forgive me if this is considered double posting. But I want to get this idea going around over here as well.

The AC series has progressively been scripted with more and more profanity, and I would really appreciate it if Ubisoft would insert an optional filter which would obviously filter out any profanities. Now I know, haha, that in games with killing, revenge, and high flying assassinations profanity can be ushered off to the side as a minor vice quality. However, I don't think I'll be easily influenced to go perform air assassinations from ship masts, but I do know that profanity is something that is easily picked up and used by tons of people, and I would like to reduce it's presence in my own life if possible without having to mute or turn off voice volume rendering me clueless haha. I may not pick up killing, but to pick up swearing is much easier.

I think it could broaden Ubisoft's AC creed fan base with families who are strict about language, and I know that I would promote them more myself if I could spread the word that there were a way to filter out the profanity. I know to many it may not be a big deal, but I think there is a community out there who would appreciate it.

Hey, let me know what you think, and thanks for reading, Floyd.

Assassin_M's Avatar AC Expert
    If you`re sure you wont end up killing, why are you not sure you wont swear ? Even if it`s just a minor thing compared to killing, If I wasn't sure I`d swear or not simply by hearing the words constantly, then, if I were you, i`d be worried about finding myself influenced by killing...

It`s just like company, people claim that if they`re in the presence of people who smoke, drink and go to strip clubs, they`d do the same, so they tend to lock away and not come into contact with such a circle of society...

Parents who want profanity censored in video games are just foolish too. I`v been here in the US for about 10 months now and i`v already heard TONS of kids dropping the f-bomb and they`re 10-15 years old. when I ask where they hear it from, they simply drop the f-bomb at me or explain that they heard it somewhere in the street from a couple of guys in their neighborhood. Profanity is everywhere, I hardly think a video game is gonna cause your life to go down...

as for AC using excessive profanity, really ?? It NEVER happens in AC I, is heard about 6 times in AC II (at least a couple are in Italian), is heard a number of times less than that of AC II in ACB, is not heard at all in ACR and occurs 3 times in AC III...

that`s hardly anything...i mean...come on...i`m positive you`v heard profanity before...what harm`s there in a couple more times ?? eh ?

misterB2001's Avatar Member
    Originally Posted by Assassin_M Go to original post
    If you`re sure you wont end up killing, why are you not sure you wont swear ? Even if it`s just a minor thing compared to killing, If I wasn't sure I`d swear or not simply by hearing the words constantly, then, if I were you, i`d be worried about finding myself influenced by killing...

It`s just like company, people claim that if they`re in the presence of people who smoke, drink and go to strip clubs, they`d do the same, so they tend to lock away and not come into contact with such a circle of society...

Parents who want profanity censored in video games are just foolish too. I`v been here in the US for about 10 months now and i`v already heard TONS of kids dropping the f-bomb and they`re 10-15 years old. when I ask where they hear it from, they simply drop the f-bomb at me or explain that they heard it somewhere in the street from a couple of guys in their neighborhood. Profanity is everywhere, I hardly think a video game is gonna cause your life to go down...

as for AC using excessive profanity, really ?? It NEVER happens in AC I, is heard about 6 times in AC II (at least a couple are in Italian), is heard a number of times less than that of AC II in ACB, is not heard at all in ACR and occurs 3 times in AC III...

that`s hardly anything...i mean...come on...i`m positive you`v heard profanity before...what harm`s there in a couple more times ?? eh ?
    Doesn't Desmond say WTF right at the end of AC1? Or was that ac2?

henne-kei's Avatar Member
    Originally Posted by misterB2001 Go to original post
    Doesn't Desmond say WTF right at the end of AC1? Or was that ac2?
    IIRC, it was AC 2.

I never got the problem people have with "profanity" in video games. There is a whole world out there that is much worse about swearing, lol
    If you are worried about families as you put it: Which child is officially allowed to play that game? If parents let them do it then they are at fault - it's really that simple.

AntiChrist7's Avatar Senior Member
    So i guess the OP doesn leave his house? profanity is all around

Dag_B's Avatar Senior Member
    ^^ I have a Professor at the University that swears a lot.
    And you know what? Nobody cares. Most time we laugh with him, especially when he's like "Oh, sorry, didn't mean to say that.".
    So yeah, profanity is indeed all around.

As for AC I am not sure how many swearwords are in there as I played it in german and sometimes the translation is not offensive at all. (e.g. BS being simply translated into the german word for nonsense, so the profanity gets lost in translation.) And some words are translatable but not considered offensive.
    Didn't feel like there's much in there, though.

But uhm yeah, I'd expect a pirate to use swearwords. ^^"
    Would feel weird if he's all like "Quite". :P

SixKeys's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by Assassin_M Go to original post
    as for AC using excessive profanity, really ?? It NEVER happens in AC I
    Correction: There is one conversation Desmond has with Lucy where he says something like "this whole situation is so ****ed!" (referring to being a prisoner at Abstergo). I'm surprised I remembered this considering you've played the game more times than me.

AvK KiNgKoBrA's Avatar Senior Member
    It's a M rated game for a reason.........

Originally Posted by AvK KiNgKoBrA Go to original post
    beat me too it. but even gears of war has a filter. i dont think it is as much for kids that want to play it, it is for adults that want to be able to play it around kids without all the swearing

and that is a mature thing to do

Mr_Shade's Avatar Senior Community Manager
    Originally Posted by AvK KiNgKoBrA Go to original post
    Indeed.

Not all swearing is used as a 'throw away' - some is used to highlight distressing parts of the storyline.

The games are rated high - so that impressionable people [children] - do not have access to them - if they do, then that is at the parents /guardians own discretion and understanding of content.

However I say that - without demeaning the original post.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... Last ►►