Assassin_M's Avatar AC Expert

GDC 2013: Assassins Creed III

http://www.polygon.com/2013/3/25/414...mission-design

I believe what Corey said is spot on, but it did not really come out as they had hoped. missions design was marred by the marriage with narrative. Maybe the marriage was forced as mission design can work charms with narrative if neither was interfering with the business of the other thus not resulting in a mess. which is exactly what happened with AC III..

This is not an AC III hate thread, much as it seems so, so please refrain from this as to not derail the thread. lets talk like professionals..leaving out personal opinions like how Connor was boring, or how that horse got stuck in that pebble..etc.

If any of those things occur, I`ll regretfully request this thread be closed.

Thanks, people..

BATISTABUS's Avatar AC Expert
    I do think the story came at the expense of mission design. Even so, AC1 pulled off a fantastic story without doing that.

UrDeviant1's Avatar Senior Member
    "This is really critical because it's our firm belief that while the writers are obviously the story tellers of the game, so are the mission designers," May said. "I firmly believe that mission design is a form of story telling, and their contribution is equal."

I agree with this, but I also think it's the job of the creative director to ensure coherence between the two. Do you think Alex Hutchinson did a good job of that? He is the one that would review a completed mission and give it the go-ahead, no?

Can someone give an example of where mission design was affected negatively by narrative, or visa versa?.

Originally Posted by UrDeviant1 Go to original post

Can someone give an example of where mission design was affected negatively by narrative, or visa versa?.
    Battle of Concord....

Originally Posted by Assassin_M Go to original post
    Battle of Concord....
    Good example. I hated that mission.

Good example. I hated that mission.
    They wanted so desperately to insert Historical events that it worked SOMETIMES and flopped in others such as this example...

Originally Posted by Assassin_M Go to original post
    They wanted so desperately to insert Historical events that it worked SOMETIMES and flopped in others such as this example...
    Yeah their need for historical accuracy really did hinder mission design. Another example would be Paul Reveres midnight ride. A really boring mission imo.

roostersrule2's Avatar Senior Member
    Yeah their need for historical accuracy really did hinder mission design. Another example would be Paul Reveres midnight ride. A really boring mission imo.
    I hate that mission.

Indeed. It used the same broken mechanic as a highlight...the horse -_-

on the subject of horses, AC II used horses too, but actually made them fun and integrated historical accuracy very well. They capitalized on Leo`s journey to Venice and made a fun gimmick using an existing mechanic and it worked great...great example

ArabianFrost's Avatar Senior Member
    Is this an indication that the series cannot utilise well-documented eras, because their accuracy that forces them to dumb down the gameplay for the narrative and its historical accuracy? Or is this the devs simply saying that this might have been a marriage where the whiny narrative wife always steals the scene?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... Last ►►