projectpat06's Avatar Senior Member

New Features in AC4 Discussion

Well, I'm making my way back onto the forum and didn't find a discussion solely on new features people want to see in AC4. Please merge this if needed. We know of the new setting and some of the advancements like the seamless transitions from sea to land, but what are some of the things everyone wants to see to make this a fresh AC game that separates it from the rest? I'm hoping it doesn't turn out to be another brotherhood where only one or two new features are added to what seemed like a large piece of DLC. I know myself as well as many others had a huge list of things we thought could have made AC3 more immersive that can be added in AC4.

As of right now I want:

- Random Events....going on all the time that keeps the world alive and fresh. We all know Red Dead's formula would have worked great in AC3 and it'll still work great in AC4. And not just random ship battles or couriers. I'm taking about random battles in towns or on islands between pirates and privateers, citizens to save but at an infinite amount, preventing executions, an infinite amount of bounties or assassination targets to gain rewards from, infinite amount of stalking missions, random hunting missions or collecting missions that's not given as some mission marker.

-Awesome quests for costumes (not just from collectibles like the feathers)

-the ability to talk to people other than shop owners. you almost feel separated from the world when you can't start up a convo with anyone. Yes I know he is an assassin and he's keeping a low profile in crowds and such but the small random convos Connor had on the homestead without going into cutscenes were a nice touch. Also the liveliness and randomness of things going on in the homestead need to be expanded upon in AC4.

-more stealth options and use of distractions....
    -AC3 started to improve this aspect with new abilities to hide and blend in. Adding the ability to crouch would be nice.
    -I love the stealth features in Far Cry 3 being that they were simple yet effective and impressive. The guys from FC3 who are working on AC4 should carry over the feature of catching things on fire and really letting burn while the fire spreads. Using fire or explosives like in far cry as a means of distraction anytime we want would be awesome. For example, loading a ship in the harbor with explosives and blowing it up to alert guards or pirates away from the destination you need to get to. Or setting fire to the jungle, a building, or boat to distract guards.
    -the ability to drag bodies to a hiding spot instead of just throwing them over you shoulder lie a rag doll would be a nice touch.

-A HOOD TOGGLE (YES THAT'S RIGHT, I SAID A HOOD TOGGLE).....please add this. We saw the animation for it in AC3. We know you can do it. Very simple. press select to pull up the map. Hit R3 or L3 to toggle that baby on or off. when you press select again to go back to the game, Edward will initiate the animation if not in the middle of an action. If in the middle of fighting, climbing, screwing, etc, he will perform the animation when he is no longer dynamic.

-more than 4 options for quick select. Ubisoft, you took note of Akham City's combat now please take note of their quick select menu on the D-pad. You can have options in diagonal slots by pressing two D-pad buttons at the same time or press the one dpad button twice to quickly pull up a different weapon (ex. right on the dpad pulls up your hidden blades. right right pulls up you pistol)

please add to the list and discuss what you think would and wouldn't make this game awesome

Thank you

Originally Posted by projectpat06 Go to original post
    - Random Events....going on all the time that keeps the world alive and fresh. We all know Red Dead's formula would have worked great in AC3 and it'll still work great in AC4. And not just random ship battles or couriers. I'm taking about random battles in towns or on islands between pirates and privateers, citizens to save but at an infinite amount, preventing executions, an infinite amount of bounties or assassination targets to gain rewards from, infinite amount of stalking missions, random hunting missions or collecting missions that's not given as some mission marker.

-Awesome quests for costumes (not just from collectibles like the feathers)

-more stealth options and use of distractions....
    -AC3 started to improve this aspect with new abilities to hide and blend in. Adding the ability to crouch would be nice.
    -I love the stealth features in Far Cry 3 being that they were simple yet effective and impressive. The guys from FC3 who are working on AC4 should carry over the feature of catching things on fire and really letting burn while the fire spreads. Using fire or explosives like in far cry as a means of distraction anytime we want would be awesome. For example, loading a ship in the harbor with explosives and blowing it up to alert guards or pirates away from the destination you need to get to. Or setting fire to the jungle, a building, or boat to distract guards.
    -the ability to drag bodies to a hiding spot instead of just throwing them over you shoulder lie a rag doll would be a nice touch.

-A HOOD TOGGLE (YES THAT'S RIGHT, I SAID A HOOD TOGGLE).....please add this. We saw the animation for it in AC3. We know you can do it. Very simple. press select to pull up the map. Hit R3 or L3 to toggle that baby on or off. when you press select again to go back to the game, Edward will initiate the animation if not in the middle of an action. If in the middle of fighting, climbing, screwing, etc, he will perform the animation when he is no longer dynamic.
    I definitely agree with these points.

The random encounters is what I want the most though. Red Dead Redemption was awesome and it's one of the best games I've ever played. You never really get bored of it either, even now I sometimes play it. Random encounters really changes the whole game for the better,

I would like to see quests for costumes too, although it's not that important in my opinion.

More us of distractions would be really cool. Although I'm not sure how much it would be used. I really would like to see crouching though. I haven't played Far Cry 3 but from what I've heard it was a great game. Wouldn't mind adding in some elements from that into AC.

Yeah, a toggle hoodie button would be very good. It definitely wouldn't be too hard to add it in either.

silvermercy's Avatar AC Expert
    I'd love a hoodie button!
    I haven't played Far Cry 3 yet but I'd also like to see quick weapon selection as in the new Tomb Raider. It was so easy and a pure joy changing your weapons upgrades.

The thing I want more than anything is proper missions, centered around a simple objective, that let us as freely as possible use the tools at our disposal to achieve it. This means not having three checkpoints to climb a mast, not forcing the player to use a horse, not use random full-synch contstraints like don't shove, not have trivial mini-mechanics in every mission, have as few walk/cutscene/walk/cutscene missions as possible.

I wouldn't mind random events at all. But the last thing AC needs, imo, is more mediocre content. If random events means carrying boxes from point A to point B then I'm not interested. Given how atrocious the main/side missions were in AC3 I think AC4 should concetrate on getting that aspect of the game right before doing anything else. If they can build robust main/side missions, based on the core mechanics that encourage creativity, then by all means add random events as well.

But rather than random events I would like hand crafted, replayable, side-missions. These can either be of the organic type that you just find in the open world (like the forts, or a large warship), or more traditional type missions with a little backstory and unique characters (like the assassination contracts in earlier AC). Primarily these side missions should be built around the core mechanics (parkour, stealth, melee combat and naval) as they are the ones developed enough to be fun, interesting, creative and strategic. Sure there can be a pig-herding missions every now and then, but when these auxiliary mechaincs are in almost every mission the game has a huge problem imo.

As for Hood and Quick-select I think Action/Adventure games should strive to avoid menus as much as possible. What makes gaming unique is the real-time interaction and immersion. Every time you pause, or use a gamey device, such as a menu wheel, this immersion is broken. What AC needs to adopt is the quickfire philosophy from Arkham City. All gadgets should be a button tap away. The game should be smart enough to understand the players intention when using a certain tool in a certain situation (in Arkham City this, to my suprise, worked flawlessly).

Same goes for the Hood. If you have to select it from a menu it would kill the feature for me. It must be just a button tap away to be meaningful, so you can remove the Hood when walking into a bar, or put it on before you strike. Going through a menu in these instances would completely disrupt the flow and kill the mood.

WalSwJan's Avatar Member
    Open ended missions and random events. That is all I'm asking for D:

projectpat06's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by Sushiglutton Go to original post
    Same goes for the Hood. If you have to select it from a menu it would kill the feature for me. It must be just a button tap away to be meaningful, so you can remove the Hood when walking into a bar, or put it on before you strike. Going through a menu in these instances would completely disrupt the flow and kill the mood.
    I agree in that I would rather want it not to be in a menu but if it's assigned to a button in real time while playing the game then that's one less button to be used for more important gameplay unless they can assign it to the quick-select options like in Arkham city. Maybe to make it quicker but not have it affect buttons for gameplay, put it in the weapon wheel menu or the quick assassination menu as a toggle button there.

As for combat I think they are on the right track. I think they should keep building on the system they have. Add a couple of more nodes/states and branching from them, to make the system slightly deeper. Also avoid the long, canned animations that were in AC3. The player should feel in control at all times, please don't take that away just to show off. I think decreasing the number of weapons we can use would probably be smart to get a more manageable number of animations. Just as for other areas the combat in AC3 was wide and shallow. Making it narrower and deeper is the way to go imo. I wouldn't mind only having dual cutlasses as the main weapon in combat and then a selection of tools.

Parkour is ok for exploring, but doesn't work as a fun gameplay mechanic to build missions around (aka chase, and tombs). It needs more interactivity and precision to truly shine.

Stealth needs a lot of work. AI is unpredictable (after replaying the forts a lot I'm convinced the detection is broken. Sometimes when you stand behind a guard he just randomly spots you.) and the hive-mind is annoying. More ways to manipulate opponents would be welcome and so would a crouch option. But if they just built missions that took advantage of what they have the game would instantly become much better.

Naval is allready great and I think the ideas they have for improving it are sound (seamless transition form naval to regular gameplay, more enemy archetypes, more types of weapons etc).

Originally Posted by projectpat06 Go to original post
    I agree in that I would rather want it not to be in a menu but if it's assigned to a button in real time while playing the game then that's one less button to be used for more important gameplay unless they can assign it to the quick-select options like in Arkham city. Maybe to make it quicker but not have it affect buttons for gameplay, put it in the weapon wheel menu or the quick assassination menu as a toggle button there.
    AC3 had a very inefficient use of buttons. LT, LB and RB were all basically wasted. Those aree some of the best buttons as they when combined with the facebuttons open up a ton of possible actions. The way they use the d-pad is also not very clever. Problem is though that a lot of AC players are not very experienced, so a "smarter" control scheme could lead to a lot of problems. I still feel they could do a much better job of at least providing the option for quick-access. They could still have a menu for those who need it.

I'd like to see R1+X = sprint/start climb again instead of only R1. With the amount of chasing in AC3, too many times i found myself starting climb when i should have been sprinting.
    To elaborate, think of it as driving a car. let go of X when you want to slow down and make harder cuts and turns (and not climb anything), but R1 keeps you jogging

Also, in Watch Dogs the dude pulls his scarf over his face when he gets ready to take action...maybe we'll see something similar in AC4

Death_Aflame's Avatar Member
    For the hood idea, you can easily make it by walking and pressing L3, as you can only activate Eagle Vision by standing still and pressing L3.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last ►►