1. #1
    Eternal Reward's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    You Lost The Game
    Posts
    674

    The Templar's Philisophy Vs. The Assassin's

    So, I've managed to get a pretty good grasp of both sides philosophies from re-watching a lot of the death speeches, things Ezio, Altair, Connor, Achilles and all the other bazillion Assassins say, and listening to Haytham especially.

    And my conclusion is.......

    The Assassins make no sense.

    First off, for anyone who played AC3, Connor is a complete lightweight when it comes to philosophy. His responses are generally a long the lines of "Nu uh!", which frustrated me SO MUCH when I was playing AC3, because most of the death speeches were quite deep. Even friggen womanizer drunken crime lord Hicky had something very interesting to say!

    What I'm getting at is the Assassins philosophy is order through freedom, but that makes no sense.

    See, freedom is a great concept, but have any of you thought of how bad absolute freedom would be? It would be anarchy. And as you can guess, anarchy is generally not associated with order....

    See what I'm getting at? The Assassins entire mindset is based off of getting more and more freedom for people. But that is NOT always a good thing. Order through control, and not total control mind you, just some control, WORKS. Look at our societies today.

    Also, if we are to believe Assassins Creed lore, the Templars started winning the war into the twentieth-twenty-first century.....which is when huge advance in societies and cultures started.....

    And, for those that will say "The Templars are bad because they kill innocents, and the Assassins don't!", first off the Assassins do things that will inevitably end in the deaths of innocents, and the idea that you can change the world for the better, fix the world, and NOT kill innocents is simply naive.

    So...yeah. There is my spiel.
    Share this post

  2. #2
    Assassin_M's Avatar AC Expert
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    24,108
    Originally Posted by Eternal Reward Go to original post
    So, I've managed to get a pretty good grasp of both sides philosophies from re-watching a lot of the death speeches, things Ezio, Altair, Connor, Achilles and all the other bazillion Assassins say, and listening to Haytham especially.

    And my conclusion is.......

    The Assassins make no sense.

    First off, for anyone who played AC3, Connor is a complete lightweight when it comes to philosophy. His responses are generally a long the lines of "Nu uh!", which frustrated me SO MUCH when I was playing AC3, because most of the death speeches were quite deep. Even friggen womanizer drunken crime lord Hicky had something very interesting to say!

    What I'm getting at is the Assassins philosophy is order through freedom, but that makes no sense.

    See, freedom is a great concept, but have any of you thought of how bad absolute freedom would be? It would be anarchy. And as you can guess, anarchy is generally not associated with order....

    See what I'm getting at? The Assassins entire mindset is based off of getting more and more freedom for people. But that is NOT always a good thing. Order through control, and not total control mind you, just some control, WORKS. Look at our societies today.

    Also, if we are to believe Assassins Creed lore, the Templars started winning the war into the twentieth-twenty-first century.....which is when huge advance in societies and cultures started.....

    And, for those that will say "The Templars are bad because they kill innocents, and the Assassins don't!", first off the Assassins do things that will inevitably end in the deaths of innocents, and the idea that you can change the world for the better, fix the world, and NOT kill innocents is simply naive.

    So...yeah. There is my spiel.
    Fellow "Assassins are Idiots" here..

    Agreed with everything..I wish you luck in argunig with all the Assassin lovers who`ll come here....good luck in trying to make a point
    Share this post

  3. #3
    ArabianFrost's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Cairo, Egypt.
    Posts
    3,180
    Originally Posted by Assassin_M Go to original post
    Fellow "Assassins are Idiots" here..

    Agreed with everything..I wish you luck in argunig with all the Assassin lovers who`ll come here....good luck in trying to make a point
    Assassin-lovers? Is that what you call them,
    Share this post

  4. #4
    Eternal Reward's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    You Lost The Game
    Posts
    674
    Basically, the only thing Assassins have going for them is they can jump into hay bales in a nifty way, and look cool with white hoods.
    Share this post

  5. #5
    Assassin_M's Avatar AC Expert
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    24,108
    Originally Posted by ArabicAssassin Go to original post
    Assassin-lovers? Is that what you call them,
    Eh....didnt find any other polite word for it

    ana 3aref ennak Assassin lover bs m3lesh b2a xD
    Share this post

  6. #6
    dxsxhxcx's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    3,186
    from what I remember the Assassins fight for free will and not order, free will to choose whatever you want to do, if the decisions made by people are good or bad this doesn't matter, they want people to have free will and be able to make these choices, they don't fight for a perfect world (like the Templars), they fight for a world where humans will be able to choose which kind of world they want..
    Share this post

  7. #7
    Assassin_M's Avatar AC Expert
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    24,108
    Originally Posted by dxsxhxcx Go to original post
    they fight for a world where humans will be able to choose which kind of world they want..
    I dont want to quote Garnier`s entire death speech, but all in all "That`s just ridiculous" -Garnier
    Share this post

  8. #8
    SixKeys's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    11,754
    OP: you got the assassin philosophy wrong. It's not "order through freedom", it's "peace through freedom". The Templar philosophy is "peace through order".

    Basically the assassins are advocates of democracy while the Templars are for dictatorship. Assassins don't advocate anarchy, they advocate people having the choice to make their own decisions, however flawed. If you live in a democratic country where you are allowed to be part of the voting process etc., that's what the assassins strive for. Whereas North Korea is an example of something close to the Templar ideology: loyalty towards a (perceived) benevolent dictator who decides what is best for all people. Freedom to vote for someone else would be removed because according to the Templars most people are idiots who don't know what's good for them, so they need to be led by people who think they know better.
    Share this post

  9. #9
    Assassin_M's Avatar AC Expert
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    24,108
    Originally Posted by SixKeys Go to original post
    OP: you got the assassin philosophy wrong. It's not "order through freedom", it's "peace through freedom". The Templar philosophy is "peace through order".

    Basically the assassins are advocates of democracy while the Templars are for dictatorship. Assassins don't advocate anarchy, they advocate people having the choice to make their own decisions, however flawed. If you live in a democratic country where you are allowed to be part of the voting process etc., that's what the assassins strive for. Whereas North Korea is an example of something close to the Templar ideology: loyalty towards a (perceived) benevolent dictator who decides what is best for all people. Freedom to vote for someone else would be removed because according to the Templars most people are idiots who don't know what's good for them, so they need to be led by people who think they know better.
    Go get em, Eternal, but allow me to say this...

    Funny you say that since the US, a democracy, is ruled by the Templars
    Share this post

  10. #10
    D.I.D.'s Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3,170
    Originally Posted by Eternal Reward Go to original post
    And as you can guess, anarchy is generally not associated with order....
    Yes it is. There are many varieties of anarchy, but the most popular forms prescribe order through the will of the people. That means that instead of our illusion of democracy, where we vote for individuals to represent thousands of people and a party to represent millions and trust them to do an okay job for four years (and anyone in the USA should be aware that gerrymandering is somehow still legal in your country, which makes a joke of democracy), an anarchist society would vote on major issues. You'd have referendums all the time, and a society that keeps a very careful watch on order. It does not mean there would be no power - you'd still have police and courts - but the people would be the authority.

    Then there's the BS "anarchy" that right-leaning democracies talk about on the news, which is an insult to the dictionary. The people who misuse the word have the least faith in human nature, as if the presence of the current style of authority is the only thing preventing you all from ripping each other apart. You know in your heart that's not true. We're nice to people because it's normal to be nice.
    Share this post

Page 1 of 34 12311 ... Last ►►